Map of caving huts in the UK

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
That is really useful.  When we get round to building an information resource on the front of UKcaving this is just the sort of map we'd like to include.

No Craven PC or Gritstone Hut in the Dales.  I presume because the Craven do not allow non members to book the cottage?

menacer

In terms of planning future trips, one of the best technological marvels I discovered the other day, was asking google maps on my Android phone to take me to the Red Rose Pothole club....which it duly did....!! 290 miles away 5 hrs and 4mins at current traffic levels. It works with a few clubs I subsequently tried.
Who did that, does someone need to submit the data to google ??

RTurnbull

braveduck said:
Bit expensive to stay at ULSA Selside !
:(

Owned by the University of Leeds, not ULSA! You have to book out the entire hut, but works out fairly average if you take 20+ people.

Jenny P

One reason why some have not precisely identified the position of their Club Hut is because we are aware of the security issues.  There are plenty of "baddies" who nick anything and everything from unattended premises and a caving club hut which is empty during the week is a prime target, particularly if it is in an isolated position, as many are.  Not only caving gear but expensive equipment may be around - it may be locked away so it can't be easily lifted by someone at a weekend when the hut is occupied, but a determined thief with all the time in the world mid-week would trash the normal lockup cupboards we use.

DCA has provided on its website a list of accommodation for cavers in the Peak District but it deliberately does not give the exact locations - it is expected that anyone interested will contact the club if they want to make a booking.

Google does seem to have exact locations if you go by the name of the club - don't know how they got this - but it will only work if you know the name of the club which owns the hut.

Suppose really it depends whether the "baddies" would think of looking on the internet for a useful list of buildings holding worthwhile goodies and which are guaranteed to be empty during the week.

braveduck

It might have been polite to ask the Clubs if they wanted to be on this map for some of the reasons
stated above  ;)

Rhys

The idea that thieves will actively target caving clubs and do web searches to specifically find them is, in my view, pretty far fetched and verging on paranoid. More likely is that the mate of a local scrote tells him they've spotted an empty property whilst doing a delivery or a building job or something nearby.

Really???
In the 21st Century...Don't share details of Caving Club accommodation with other cavers...for "Security Reasons"
I know there are some out there that don't like the internet for various reasons too obvious to mention...but that's ridiculous!!!

And for the chap that's put it up...Many Thanks...great resource! I didn't know there was anywhere to stay in North Wales...and I've stayed all over!