This girl can

bagpuss

Has anyone seen this slightly cringy campaign by sport England?  I don't necessity agree with all the sentiments behind it,  but noted caving isn't being promoted.  Bmc are working with them to promote climbing could BCA do something similar?

maxb727

I think the campaign is slightly cringy for girls/women already getting out there and doing things. However I do also think there are so many women who really have benefited from the campaign and have realised they don't have to be fit, or the right shape to give something a go. It's a shame women need this boost but the campaign has been a success by all accounts - lots of interest in the SW.

I too would be interested for the BCA to work with the campaign too

ianball11

maxb727 said:
However I do also think there are so many women who really have benefited from the campaign and have realised they don't have to be fit, or the right shape to give something a go. It's a shame women need this boost but the campaign has been a success by all accounts.

:clap:

I think it is great, not at all cringeworthy and most importantly, from the emails I get about trying squash and racketball from both women and men who have been inspired by the campaign, a very healthy initial succes

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
bagpuss said:
http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/register/

in case anyone from BCA is on here you can register your inearest on the above link.  Caving should be represented in this. .

I'm not sure who at BCA would deal with this.  There is a 'youth and development' officer and a 'media liason' officer (who is the ex 'youth and development' officer) - maybe between them they could look at it.  This can only be a good thing.

Mark Wright

Competition climbing certainly is a sport but not sure about recreational climbing or recreational caving. Nevertheless, it should be looked into as it could be a good thing regardless of what we call it.

Mark

maxb727

Simon you are not adding anything useful to the discussion really. What we are suggesting is to get the 'This Girl Can' campaign to add caving to its list of activities girls can do, by creating an image of a woman underground with the words 'This Girl Can'.

I am pretty sure it doesn't matter if we receive funding as an official sport or not. For example Spinning I don't believe is competitive or has a governing body or receives funding but it featured in the campaign

http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/sport/spinning/

maxb727

This Girl Can is a national campaign developed by Sport England and a wide range of partnership organisations. It's a celebration of active women up and down the country who are doing their thing no matter how well they do it, how they look or even how red their face gets.

http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/about-us/

royfellows

Peter Burgess said:
I can think of plenty of males that should be similarly targeted!

I was 70 in January and just come in from karate and doing an all day aikido on Sunday. Last weekend was dropping 100 ft pitches.
;)