Fracking in Lancashire ??? Petition, Urgent

topcat

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/s/urgent-lancashire-fracking?source=em&subsource=20150626fraem01&utm_source=gpeace&utm_medium=em&utm_campaign=20150626fraem01&utm_content=1+-+httpssecuregreenpeaceorgukfrackingurge

Thought this might be of interest.  We have enough to worry about with earth quakes........

Simon Wilson

topcat said:
https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/s/urgent-lancashire-fracking?source=em&subsource=20150626fraem01&utm_source=gpeace&utm_medium=em&utm_campaign=20150626fraem01&utm_content=1+-+httpssecuregreenpeaceorgukfrackingurge

Thought this might be of interest.  We have enough to worry about with earth quakes........

Topcat, are you suggesting that people should be opposed to fracking on the grounds that it causes earthquakes?

topcat

Simon Wilson said:
topcat said:

Topcat, are you suggesting that people should be opposed to fracking on the grounds that it causes earthquakes?/quote]

No.

crickleymal

I'm not signing it because, although I'm not keen on fracking, there is no information on the petition and no guarantee they won't spam you  incessantly like 38 days later do

Simon Wilson

topcat said:
Simon Wilson said:
topcat said:

Topcat, are you suggesting that people should be opposed to fracking on the grounds that it causes earthquakes?/quote]
No.

So why did you mention earthquakes?

It's accepted by all sides that fracking causes earthquakes and it has been used as part of the argument against fracking. I put this towards the less serious end of the spectrum close to the 'flames coming out of taps' stories which deter people from taking fracking opponents seriously and help brand them as cranks.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/25/oklahoma-fracking-regulations-earthquakes

menacer

As an aside, I was listening to the radio the other day where a proponent for fracking in Lancashire ( possibly one of the councillors, but I can't recall) was for fracking simply because of the the looming black hole in public sector funding.
He clearly was hoping that the shortfall from central government would be made up by any potential revenue from a successful site.

Signing petitions are one thing, explaining how your going to care for your population with limited funds is another.

I am just quoting this particular standpoint for the pro, I'm not interested in debating it myself btw

Simon Wilson

It appears to me that the proportion of people in this very short thread who are in favour of fracking roughly follows the proportion of people in the wider public who are in favour of fracking and the proportion of people who are in favour of fracking roughly follows the proportion of people who are not concerned about climate change.

Don't ask me how I know this, it's just an impression.

gonzo

I've already signed it while pointing out that I am not local to the area.
While I agree with Crickleymal that the subsequent spam can be irritating (and easily avoided) there is no doubt that decisions made by drilling companies and politicians is strongly influenced by public opinion and the recognition that there is opposition to the steamrollering approach they are taking on this issue.
This was demonstrated recently on the Mendips where UK Methane, subjected to a barrage of well-reasoned opposition, relinquished their licence to PEDL 227, while their counterparts Eden Energy also pulled out identifying "environmental and social reasons" to their shareholders.
It will be interesting to see post-election what other areas are snapped up in the forthcoming 14th licensing round.

royfellows

I am not going to get involved in this argument or even give an opinion as I have not formed one and would not do so without first doing some research.
By research I do not mean taking on board the opinions of others or believing everything I am told by either side.

The only point I wish to make is that one returns home tired and knackered after a day underground we all take it for granted that we can walk in the front door and touch a switch and lights will come on, then go the the heating control and turn the heating on.
The energy for this has to come from somewhere and if anyone thinks the issue can be addressed by building more windmills they live in fairyland.

Bottlebank

royfellows said:
I am not going to get involved in this argument or even give an opinion as I have not formed one and would not do so without first doing some research.
By research I do not mean taking on board the opinions of others or believing everything I am told by either side.

The only point I wish to make is that one returns home tired and knackered after a day underground we all take it for granted that we can walk in the front door and touch a switch and lights will come on, then go the the heating control and turn the heating on.
The energy for this has to come from somewhere and if anyone thinks the issue can be addressed by building more windmills they live in fairyland.

Agreed - although the latest news on this suggests there's less to worry about - http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-33313084

I live about six or seven miles away, must admit I'm not too bothered either way whether it goes ahead. It strikes me most people who protest about this are the same nutters who protest about everything else.

royfellows

Years ago I used to wonder if right wing outfits were getting bunged by hunt masters to hold a march on the same day as a major hunt meet!
Dirty tricks
:LOL:

graham

royfellows said:

But does it have to come from somewhere? What makes us think that our petty concerns are of any great import overall?

In other news, on the one hand Lancashire CC has rejected the application from Cuadrilla.

And on the other hand, it looks like more windmills are coming like it or not.

Simon Wilson

royfellows said:

Not an argument - a very polite discussion so far.

I have been following the fracking issue with some interest and I too have been careful not to form a strong opinion without gaining sufficient understanding.

I don't think "we all take it for granted..." I think some people take it for granted but far from all people.

I think a sensible way to address the issue is to build more windmills and I do not live in fairyland, I live close to quite a few windmills. Eventually we must move away from fossil fuels and towards sustainable energy and there is absolutely no reason to delay it and every reason to get on with it as fast as possible.

So - having not signed the petition and not expressed a view for or against fracking, I now find myself extremely pleased that my County Council have made "one of the biggest planning decisions ever for the council." and have rejected the application.

warmfire

The use of energy in my humble opinion has now become the replacement for the cold war, and naturally so.

We all use more energy, but has there been a collective thought as to reduce energy consumption ?

I have no problem with Fracking, Wind Farms, using coal, peat, ETC - and so far as the Peak District Nation Park is concerned where I live - I for one would welcome a more diverse income, but only if it was supported, funded, resourced by local support, resources and trades.

Paul