YSS SRT Facility - Feedback please!

damian

It's now more than 2 years since the opening of the SRT facility at the YSS. In that time hundreds of people have had a go on the various pre-rigged routes. We will shortly be replacing the ropes and are looking for feedback on the current layout, or indeed on anything else to do with the facility. Thoughts below please ...

JasonC

I went on a CNCC SRT course there, and thought it excellent (both course and SRT facility)  (y) (y)

Fulk

We?ve used the facility several times, and think it?s very good; well done YSS (and great that it?s open to all for a modest fee).

However, there was one feature that left us underwhelmed; from memory, there?s a rope that goes up to somewhere near the middle of the ceiling, with another rope coming back down. We felt that this served no particularly useful purpose (unless you think that making life difficult is useful  ;)); we could not think of any real situation that it was simulating. On the other hand, one could argue that anything that makes you think about what you?re doing and how you?re using your equipment can?t be all bad.

Amy

Could that be to practice rope to rope changeovers? It is a technique used in TAG a lot especially on edges when tandom or trandom climbing. It isn't super complicated but it is different, and yes gear management is what tangles people up with the manovuer as you noted, Fulk!

Antwan

Fulk said:
We?ve used the facility several times, and think it?s very good; well done YSS (and great that it?s open to all for a modest fee).

However, there was one feature that left us underwhelmed; from memory, there?s a rope that goes up to somewhere near the middle of the ceiling, with another rope coming back down. We felt that this served no particularly useful purpose (unless you think that making life difficult is useful  ;)); we could not think of any real situation that it was simulating. On the other hand, one could argue that anything that makes you think about what you?re doing and how you?re using your equipment can?t be all bad.

If that was the rope with the green bag going through the pully, thats so you can do a 50m rolling prussic. Useful taining for the spelio olyimpics and for a bit of stamina training.

If it was not this one, I cant think which rope it was

damian

Thanks for the comments so far. I can only assume the rope fulk refers to is the one that should have a deviation and a rebelay below, but somebody had derigged them. The deviation is often left unclipped - I think people find it too tricky.

Is there anything people would like to see more (or less) of? Easier rebelays?

Should the ground level pitch heads be permanently rigged, or be left (as they are now) for people to practise rigging without having to rig over the top?

damian

The whole facility has just been re-rigged with 300m of shiny new rope. We've taken the opportunity to add a few new routes, and have reinstated the original long, blank-wall traverse that "disappeared" about 12 months ago.

We have also just revised the pricing structure. The aim has always been for the facility to beak even as a facility to cavers and, after the first couple of years of use, we are now able to reduce prices for all non-commercial use.

Basic price is now ?2 per person for the first hour or ?3 for up to half a day. Overnight guests get a 50%reduction. If you haven't pre-booked but would like to pop in at short notice, my mobile number is on the door. Assuming I have reception, I aim to have you in there in minutes.

The basic message is that we want our facility using by as many people as possible, whether members, overnight guests or not. It's probably the best facility in Britain and is so much better for practising SRT than underground!

SamD

:clap:
Loved it used it for the first time in April, great to be able to have the different scenarios.

Thank you
Sam

badger

yep I have used it and at short notice and was very easy to arrange the access, and for the purpose of training it was ideal