The Tiger at the bar

droid

TBH I'm not interested in the slightest.

Given that her brother has been involved in caving since at least his Oxford days, I'd assume she'd be educated in the pastime....

Bottlebank

All does seem quiet on the CRoW front.

Does anyone know if there's been any progress?

Is there a plan in place to hold a ballot of members to change the BCA constitution so BCA can support CRoW - given that the present constitution seems to prevent the adoption of CRoW is this the next step?

Any other news?

richardg

" The finest advocate of her generation" 

That says it all, a quality woman.

Badlad... Thank you for putting this up.... very very interesting.

And to think she took time to read up etc and present an opinion for the benefit of British Caving... for that I for one am extremely grateful.

Richard

Beardy

Thanks for posting the link badlad :-  a very interesting article, it helps to have an idea of the bigger picture,  and helps to put her opinion in context.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Bob Mehew

Bottlebank said:
All does seem quiet on the CRoW front.

Does anyone know if there's been any progress?

Is there a plan in place to hold a ballot of members to change the BCA constitution so BCA can support CRoW - given that the present constitution seems to prevent the adoption of CRoW is this the next step?

Any other news?

See http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=news_events:start and http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=general_meetings:2015agm.  Council meets to day but I am not able to attend so can't bring you any more info.  I gather Andy has been very busy. 

You may also be interested to hear that BCA's C&A Committee has been kicked back into life as a consequence of the CRoW debate and has drafted a new Caving Code and Minimal Impact Caving Guidelines (one part of which addresses exploration, digging and so forth).  These are also being debated at Council today.  No doubt the BCA Newsletter which should be issued within a few weeks on the BCA web site will contain some more information. 

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone would like to discuss CRoW and what BCA and others are (or are not) doing about it PLEASE start a new thread.

This thread was intended purely to highlight an informative article about Dinah Rose QC which appeared in today's Guardian newspaper.

Thank you

JasonC

richardg said:
" The finest advocate of her generation" 

That says it all, a quality woman.

Badlad... Thank you for putting this up.... very very interesting.

And to think she took time to read up etc and present an opinion for the benefit of British Caving... for that I for one am extremely grateful.

Richard

My feelings exactly !

Given the number of genuinely important issues she's involved with, we are very lucky she's devoted what must have been a fair amount of time for free to what must, for the vast majority of Britons, be an arcane debate amongst members of a minority sport.

Whether you agree with her opinion or not (and I'm not discussing it in this thread!) the article shows how much weight it would carry in court.

graham

Ms Rose did a good job for the Grauniad in its ten year battle about these letters of Charles' but she was rather less successful when representing Julian Assange in his appeal against extradition at the Supreme Court.

Well you win some & you lose some.

Cookie

This quote from Dinah from the article caught my eye. Something to bear in mind when posting to ukCaving. 

'What she says: ?It?s the duty of every advocate to be courteous but fearless? '

zomjon

Droid, please, please, please don't make such trolling comments about a topic that has been quiet for such a long time. The reference is only to an article which highlights the high esteem in which Dina Rose is held in, nobody is saying you have to follow her thoughts on the subject - I for one enjoyed learning that bit more about her.

Inferus

Cookie said:
Exactly, being fearless was the message for me.
Courteousness should be a given.
From all sides, absolutely.

Looking at other posts:
I hate the way some people post in an arrogant and smug manner, like they're better than everyone else and assume their side of the argument is always the right one without taking in to consideration anything anyone else says.

Peter Burgess

graham said:
Ms Rose did a good job for the Grauniad in its ten year battle about these letters of Charles' but she was rather less successful when representing Julian Assange in his appeal against extradition at the Supreme Court.

Well you win some & you lose some.
Indeed.

droid

zomjon said:
Droid, please, please, please don't make such trolling comments about a topic that has been quiet for such a long time. The reference is only to an article which highlights the high esteem in which Dina Rose is held in, nobody is saying you have to follow her thoughts on the subject - I for one enjoyed learning that bit more about her.

I am not making 'trolling comments', I am merely posting a point of view.

I am also well aware of the esteem Dinah Rose is held in, and have been since David first mentioned her involvement. This is because I am perfectly capable of using Google and Wikipedia.

Seems to me that if 'the topic' was to be kept quiet, the thread should not have been started.

Peter Burgess

The word "trolling" should be used sparingly and with great caution. People whose ire is aroused simply by having their opinions questioned should be especially cautious! Droid is fearless in posting his thoughts - something being encouraged here, I thought......

Mike Hopley

Fearlessness is not the same thing as bitchiness.

Some things are worth saying because they matter, even when it upsets people.

And then there's being abrasive because you enjoy it, which is less noble but more popular.

Some people fight fearlessly against injustice and brutality. If you can't do that, don't worry -- you can still "debate" smugly fearlessly on the Internet.