Author Topic: Wye valley day out  (Read 8410 times)

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
Wye valley day out
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:30 pm »
Hi y`all
   Would any Axbridgeites be interested in a trip to visit the Symonds yat caves later this year ? It would be suitable for beginners & kids. No thermal fleeces needed but do bring kneepads and caving grots.I would be happy to "adopt" the trip. I should be at the July meeting to discuss dates/times etc.
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline Ship-badger

• forum star
  • Royal Forest of Dean Caving Club
Re: Wye valley day out
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:36:42 pm »
Let us know when you are coming, and some RFDCC cavers might join you.
Going down in the woods today!

Offline bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 08:41:20 am »

I remember messing about in the Symonds Yat caves when I was a yowth - seemed to be quite a few bats in there - does that make it iffy from a conservation point of view?
=:blubba:=

[ nsfw ]

Offline Ship-badger

• forum star
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:00:41 pm »
There are no conservation issues at Symonds Yat that affect cave access. There is a small population of Lesser Horseshoe bats that use the caves as a winter roost; and an even smaller population of wintering Greater Horseshoes ( 1 on average). On the opposite side of the gorge are the caves and mines of the Doward. One of these caves/mines is gated during the winter months to protect the hibernating bats, but the gate is removed during the rest of the year. All of the other Doward cave/mines are open throughout the year.

None of the caves are what you might call spectacular, but as a day out they are well worth a visit; especially if you combine it with a bit of climbing and abseiling too.

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:25:18 am »
Ooh marvellous,some enthusiasm ! I went walking along the climbers path last sunday with the objective of finding as many entrances as possible.I hope there isnt a worthwhile cave along that terrifying narrow ledge "path" beyond C2 is there ? I will try and arrange a date before the end of sept to avoid disturbing the bats.
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline Ship-badger

• forum star
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:24:12 pm »
I hope there isnt a worthwhile cave along that terrifying narrow ledge "path" beyond C2 is there ?

There is; not necessarily worthwhile from a speleological viewpoint, but AS a viewpoint, totally unbeatable. It is the best spot to eat your lunch. The path is actually not that bad, with lots of handholds on the cliff; and it is easy to rig a traverse line if you are nervous.

The C2 system will give about an hours enjoyment for the not too large - only about 10 minutes for the rest. C3 is the longest cave at the Yat, though again, not for the large or fainthearted. C7,8,9 & 10 are all entrances to the same system. This is the one most used by activity centres, and is worthy of exploration. The C9 entrance is fiendishly tight!

I was there last Sunday afternoon, perhaps we met? Be sure to let us know when you are coming.

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:43:37 pm »
How does Sunday August 24th grab you for the Yat day out ? We could even end up at the Rising Sun for chips & beer !
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline Ship-badger

• forum star
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »
A few RFDCC members, me included, are off to the Vercors in August; so we will not be able to join you unfortunately. I shall email our members though, and hopefully some of them will join you.

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:43:44 am »
Aah....warm sun,blue sky, beautiful girls, vin rouge, HUGE caves.........have a good holiday !
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:58:14 pm »
The Wye Valley day out finally happened today, 6 of us visited the crawls, squeezy bits and boulder chambers on the Gloucestershire side of Symonds Yat. The C10 complex, Doughnut cave, Wye Rapids Cave & C2 were all scampered round with great enthusiasm....the draughts in the latter two are most interesting ! It looks like lots of outdoor centres and youth groups visit these caves judging by the amount of carbide smoked names and sweetie wrappers on display....goodm fun though !
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline Ship-badger

• forum star
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:03:18 pm »
The C10 complex, Doughnut cave, Wye Rapids Cave & C2 were all scampered round with great enthusiasm....the draughts in the latter two are most interesting !

Wye Rapids Cave (C3) and C2 are connected; it is possible to have a conversation through the connection, but not possible to pass through. Near the far end of C2 there is a small chamber where I dug long ago. I dug through a solid layer of beetle cases. Whatever had eaten them, perhaps a badger, had not come in through the same passage as we use I think. A few weeks ago a badger was in residence at the end of the sandy passage that goes off to the right just inside the main entrance.
Glad you enjoyed your day; did you get to C1 (Bowlers Hole)?

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:25 pm »
Beetle cases might indicate an old bat roost. I have seen piles of beetle cases and bat poo together, suggesting a summer roost site.

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:51 pm »
No, didnt get to Bowlers Hole, thats the huge entrance high up thats so prominent when viewed from the opposite bank isnt it ? I thought you needed to be a climber (or a bat) to get in there ! Only the skinniest of us managed to pass the low slot in C2 and the tight "N" bend in C3,and we didnt find the decorated link mentioned in Tonys book, but I think we were on the right track.Is the noticable draught just from one cave to the other or is there potentially virgin cave to the east ?
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 05:51:49 pm »
"we didnt find the decorated link mentioned in Tonys book,"

Do not mention "The Book".  It is verboten

Offline Ship-badger

• forum star
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »
No, didnt get to Bowlers Hole, thats the huge entrance high up thats so prominent when viewed from the opposite bank isnt it ? I thought you needed to be a climber (or a bat) to get in there ! Only the skinniest of us managed to pass the low slot in C2 and the tight "N" bend in C3,and we didnt find the decorated link mentioned in Tonys book, but I think we were on the right track.Is the noticable draught just from one cave to the other or is there potentially virgin cave to the east ?
To get to Bowlers Hole you simply walk, or traverse, along a prominent ledge to the right of C2 as you look at the entrance. A traverse line can be easily rigged for the nervous, but there are good handholds.
There may well be virgin cave to the east of C3; that is certainly the direction my dig was going in.