Author Topic: Thrupe Lane postponed  (Read 2139 times)

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
Thrupe Lane postponed
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:56:44 pm »
Well,2 Petes (1ACG & 1BEC) & a Barney (RFDCC) arrived to find Thrupe in flood,we think the normal swallet has become blocked as the stream is sinking just by the gate and clearly audible in the entrance shaft. So BEC Pete suggests a visit to the Morton Pot area of Eastwater Cavern instead ! Ow says ACG Pete....but it is a bit of cave I have never seen before.To cut a long story short, it is very steep and narrow and there are many typical Eastwater obstacles. Mortons Pot has cemented deads to climb down, and A Drain Hole has scaffolding, but the pointless pots are a bit scary,at one point I was thinking of Neil Moss ! Beyond the second one,only BEC Pete managed to force himself feet first into the seemingly impassable crack for a further 6m. Needless to say I can still feel the scrapes and bruises and the scrump at the Victoria was most welcome.
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
Re: Thrupe Lane postponed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:50:39 pm »
Hi Mr. Twig! - we went there yesterday!

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,9668.msg126952.html#new

Unless it had rained locally today my guess is that the hole we furtled with a stick to make the water sink rather than flow over the entrance lip/pitch was what greeted you today at TLS - and I'm not surprised you decided to go elsewhere.

Offline twiglet

• addict
  • Axbridge Caving Group
Re: Thrupe Lane postponed
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:35:36 pm »
At last.....2 ACG explorers returned to an appointment with Thrupe Lane Swallet, 18 months late ! Paul & Pete intended to visit the Wuthering
Heights area, but unfortunately failed to find the connecting squeeze up to chimney pot, so it ended up as a trip to a very long dead end with
a draughting rift at its termination. "The Old Wells Road" I suspect. The downdip avalanching gravel slope rather like a minature above water
Wookey 26 is especially memorable ! The Horse & Jockey at Binegar is highly reccomended (warm & cozy, 2 real ales & 2 real ciders).
BCFC Ciderred 4 ever !