A Song for Jane Brookes

ZombieCake

Jane Brookes was a lady strung up at the Chard assizes for Witchcraft by the good folks of Shepton Mallet. Seems to be a bit of a possible causal link with the recently discovered (by me) witch marks in Nancy Camel's which add to the superstitious flavour of East Mendip.  Croscombe is mentioned because Nancy Camel was a supposed resident there and perhaps memories are muddled over time, and less documented than Jane but Jane seems a more relevant and real person. For more info the MCG articles refer.

Anyway here's a version of Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Not perfect, but hope to add to weight to the bad victimisation of witches and other supposed underclasses...

And I'd give up forever to live now
'Cause I hope you'll save me somehow
I'm the closest to heaven you'll never be

And I don't wanna to die here right now

And all I can taste is mass torment
And all I can breathe is this fire
When ever life or death is over

I just don't wan'all fires  tonight

And I wish the all the world to see me
'Cause I wish they'll just understand
When Shepton hopes I'll be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And your eyes fake truth that ain't coming
Or the hate bred in all of your lives
When hiding truth suits all of your lives

Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive
Yes, I'm bleeding, yes I'm so alive

And I wish all the world will see me
'Cause Croscombe they won't understand
When Shepton killed me to be broken

And I wish all the world to see me

And I wish all the world to see me

mrodoc

As a citizen of Chard which is some way from Shepton I came across her when we did a community play called Coliphizacio a few years ago. I was in it doing a drag act (sort of as I was disguised as a woman to escape the Roundheads). Some of the action revolved roud a supposed witches sabbath held near Snowdon Caves 200  metres from where I live.  Having seen the video of the play I will not be putting it on Youtube out of embarssment! My closing line was 'I'm a man'! To which there is only one response as film buffs will appreciate. ;)

ZombieCake

Forgot to add that the moral of the story is don't go dishing out apples on Mendip, 'cos you might find it a pain in the neck.  That's why they're all converted to rather lethal cider  ;)