Cwmdwr through to OFD II Top

A

angelmaz11

Hello,

I am going up to South Wales for 3 days this weekend and we're planning to finally complete our journey from Cwmdwr to OFD Top. We've gone to OFD top twice and even managed to get to the main streamway down to the Oxbows.
Another time we went into Cwmdwr and managed to get to the Smithy.

The plan of course is to complete our round trip.

Has anyone got any tips or hints? Someone at SWCC explained pretty much the way, but I'm concerned about the oxbows part.

Marion

dunc

Has anyone got any tips or hints? Someone at SWCC explained pretty much the way, but I'm concerned about the oxbows part.
If I recall correctly it was fairly straightforward once you have climbed into the oxbow - just a case of following your nose until you drop back into the water again..

caverholic

The oxbows are pretty easy if you miss them you'll hit a sump so go back and look for them.

As for finding the route through from smithy to the main streamway. I think you might need to study the guide book well.
Or try the virtual tour.
Virtual Tour OFD

If I was you I would do it top to cwm dwr as its easier for route finding and effort.

dunc

The oxbows are pretty easy if you miss them you'll hit a sump so go back and look for them.
Does either side of the oxbow have those square metal plates stuck on the wall denoting place of escape from the streamway? (Probably does, just I can't remember)

If I was you I would do it top to cwm dwr as its easier for route finding and effort.
Ye, I'd agree with that - have done it upstream but it was very dry and easy going! Having been downstream in wet conditions I wouldn't like to try it upstream in those conditions!!

Brendan

I wil be down at SWCC this weekend. Spwak to someone there and they will be able to run through i with you. As long as you can find your way to the smithy and from maypole inlet to Top entrance the streamway is easy.

A

angelmaz11

Did it, nice and easy. Yes the square things were there to mark the entry and exit points of the oxbows. We had to faff with getting out of the oxbow upstream way cos it didnt seem straight forward from up above. I guess it's easier climbing into them.