Uamh Nan Claig-Ionn blocked

smollett

The crawl just inside the entrance is currently completely blocked with silt. We didn't have the impliments to clear it with.
Anyone planning a trip should take a drag tray and cow rake or similar tool.

McMole

That would be very surprising as there has never been any problem in the Uamh nan Claig-ionn entrance. I think you might have been at the Uamh na Mnathan Uasal an Duror entrance. This had to be dug out when we first found the cave and it does silt up. It has been dug out again at least once but I haven't heard of anyone using it for a long time so it is probably closed now. The last GSG trip down Claig-ionn was only a few weeks ago with no reports of any silting. That entrance is surrounded by a fence - was yours?

scurve

Has anyone been to Uamh Nan Claig-Ionn since this post, and does anyone know what the entrance is like now?
Did he have the wrong cave?

smollett

Think we prob had wrong cave, although we must have been very close and description roughly matched. You can drive a long way up the track to within a couple of hundred metres of it. You at bull pot over bank hol?

scurve

Yes, just the friday and saturday nights. I'd like to do aygill caverns on one of the days if anyone wants to join me.

And

I know of folk who have been down Claig-Ionn recently with no probs. As McMole said, Smollet was  probably down Uamh na Mnathan Uasal an Duror which connects to Claig - Ionn, but is blocked at the moment. If anyone is going down Claig-Ionn still feel free to bring a drag tray etc to reopen the connection  ;)

Also Scurve, if you're visiting Claig-Ionn it's worth having a look in Broken Expectations. It's not particularly long, and so will only take 20 mins at the very most, but it's quite interesting.  It's across the stream just before the gate across the track where you park for Claig-Ionn. 

scurve

We had a great time down this cave yesterday. Sadly we were with a grumpy old man who wanted to get home early so no time for Broken Expectations. We saw an eagle as soon as we got out of the car, and while our friends were waiting for us back at the car they saw a pine marten.

Due to the way the "Recent Post" list is formatted on the front page, I had a little chuckle at "Uamh Nan Claig-Ionn blocked by scurve"

I'm normally the oversize one that gets stuck and blocks crawls for everyone else!

Julie H

Hi -Ive not been on the Forum for ages but thought it was time to pay a visit so sorry for very tardy response....

I reckon that you weren't in Clag-Ionn but as others say, in Uamh na Mnathan Uasal an Duror (Old Ladies of Duror).  Old Ladies cave is about 60m from Clag-Ionn and was blocked when we visited in Nov or Dec last year.  Clag-Ionn is a shakehole with a tree to belay a 10m handline off for the 1st pitch.  Old Ladies of Duror joins Clag-Ionn after the 2nd pitch so it would be good if the 2 were reconnected by anyone who happens to be passing with a crowbar and shovel.  I reckon its mainly leaf matter and silt that has blocked it but it would be an unpleasant grovel in a low streamway to make the connection :blink:

Clag-Ionn is a great trip of you do manage to do it - a 'proper' SRT cave in little old Appin - a real surprise  :)

McMole

And Claig-ionn is one of the three Scottish caves equipped with eco-anchors. That includes a couple for a traverse line on the entrance, so no need for trees.

rhychydwr1

I am a bit confused.  I always thought UAMH NAN CLAIGIONN, or UAMH NAN CLAIG-IONN or Cave of Skulls was at Oban, but Uamh na Mnathan Uasal an Duror (Old Ladies of Duror Cave) is listed in Appin.  Can anyone help me please?

McMole

It's the same as Otter Hole being located in Assynt, Fern Cave in Skye and Long Drop Cave in Appin when namesakes can also be found in Forest of Dean, Newby Moss and Leck Fell to mention but three more examples.  When a caver finds skulls (even of rabbit) in the entrance of a new cave, a name immediately suggests itself. Hence names do get reused with no intention of causing confusion. Some caves are named for other reasons. No 'Old Ladies' were found, harmed or involved in the exploration of the other entrance to the system, Uamh na Mnathan Uasal an Duror. It was named in recognition of the local teachers who translated the cave names into Gaelic for us - and supplied a patch of ground for our tents.

I was aware of the other Claig-ionn having found it as a result of a search several years ago, but have never visited it. I see that it has an entry in 'Caves of Scotlond'