haytime hole

bren

hi all
Was in haytime hole this saturday.those who know the place will be aware that there are parts of the cave which require due care and there is alot of loose stuff. Please be aware that after the rift climb into the first large chamber where there is a large calcite flow the way on through the floor toward the stream passage is very unstable. I stood on a boulder weighing in excess of a ton and the whole slope started sliding.i was lucky enough to have my hands on the wall and was able to jump off the slide after boulder surfing a metre or so.The next person behind me stood on a very large boulder and again the slope moved.maybe this will settle in time but freeze/thaw and the amount of water that is undercutting the clay band that is supporting this area meanit is only a matter of time before there is a big shift in this area and as it is a breakdown chamber there could be potential for things to come out of the roof too due to the size of the loose stuff.please be careful in this pot. On the way back out we traversed over the loose stuff and then tried to force it down to clear the way and make it safe but to no avail.

simonsays

Holy crap Bren. I'm almost glad I missed the trip.... If that had been me boulder surfing I would have needed to clean the -inside- of my oversuit  :clap:

bren

thats why i wear mine inside out ;) It was dodgy down there.think a few of us may go back and try to mak it safe.i have sent pm and the rift was a bugger if you are a caver our size!!!!

Pitlamp

Bren - you suggest this may settle in time - but I'm not so sure that's right. I was involved in the original exploration of Haytime Hole and it was like that from the very first day. It's a place which does demand care and you're right to flag this up. I seem to remember we had something similar happen on the day we first dived the sump.

I bet not many readers of this forum know that before settling on the name Haytime Hole (as it was found in May) it was almost called "Viking Pot".

Also (and just for the record) the Haytime stream drains to New Houses Rising, so it's part of the Sell Gill hydrological system. We had hoped it would drain to Brants Gill, which would have been interesting from the point of view of any Trans Craven System which may one day be realised. Speaking of the hypothesised TCS, nearby is Penyghent Long Churn which was tested to Turn Dub many years ago (the rising for Alum Pot etc) - so the hydrological link across Ribblesdale is confirmed. It was braveduck on this forum who first proposed the idea of a TCS in the 70s which, as a child, greatly inspired me at the time. It still does!

bren

think a few from the craven may be making a concerted effort to stablise that part of the cave soon pitlamp.when i say stablise i mean make safer for the moment!!!!!

dunc

Do keep us informed of progress, Haytime is one of those places I've thought about visiting but never got round to.

Speleodroid

Bren.....have been in haytime quite a bit over last few months, and will be heading in again a couple of times over xmas/new year i suspect. I'll have a look and monitor the situation if you like. Haven't had anything move for me yet, but as you say, some parts do require care. Leave it with me for now and i'll get back to you  :)

Alex

I popped in there once but not in caving gear, after stumbling accross it while walking the fells. I got as far as the first pitch ;)

richardg

Pitlamp said:
Also (and just for the record) the Haytime stream drains to New Houses Rising, so it's part of the Sell Gill hydrological system. We had hoped it would drain to Brants Gill, which would have been interesting from the point of view of any Trans Craven System which may one day be realised. Speaking of the hypothesised TCS, nearby is Penyghent Long Churn which was tested to Turn Dub many years ago (the rising for Alum Pot etc) - so the hydrological link across Ribblesdale is confirmed. It was braveduck on this forum who first proposed the idea of a TCS in the 70s which, as a child, greatly inspired me at the time. It still does!

Inspiring stuff Pitlamp !!  A query .... Does anyone know who and when the dye test was done to Turn Dub?

Richardg

braveduck

In reply to Pitlamp.It's a good job for caving I wasn't playing snooker instead of writing about possable
caving links.If so Pitlamp might have been a snooker player instead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitlamp

Fair comment braveduck! Bet you never realised how much influence you'd have when you penned that superb article for Descent . . .

Hello Richard - the Penyghent Long Churn to Turn Dub trace was masterminded by the late Dick Glover and would have been around 1978. It still awaits being written up (along with a lot of other information on that area). Sooner or later it WILL all be written up; promise! (If nothing else I'll try and make sure the important stuff is included in the hydrology chapter for the new book currently being written (which will supercede that 1974 classic "Limestones & Caves of North West England.)

graham

Pitlamp said:
Fair comment braveduck! Bet you never realised how much influence you'd have when you penned that superb article for Descent . . .

Excellent article. I wonder whether Pitlamp and I will still be around to read about the final connection being made ...

Pitlamp said:
Hello Richard - the Penyghent Long Churn to Turn Dub trace was masterminded by the late Dick Glover and would have been around 1978. It still awaits being written up (along with a lot of other information on that area). Sooner or later it WILL all be written up; promise! (If nothing else I'll try and make sure the important stuff is included in the hydrology chapter for the new book currently being written (which will supercede that 1974 classic "Limestones & Caves of North West England.)

Damn! Does that mean we'll have to write a new Mendip one as well? I'm meant to be working on the next Co. Clare book.

Les W

graham said:
Damn! Does that mean we'll have to write a new Mendip one as well?

Well its about time it was brought up to date, a lot has happened in the last 34 years.  (y)
I could be persuaded to help...  :unsure:

Maj

Les W said:
graham said:

Well its about time it was brought up to date, a lot has happened in the last 34 years.  (y)

But there are still some 4th editions left. Any one need a last minute xmas present for their caving buddy?

Maj.

graham

Maj said:
Les W said:
graham said:

But there are still some 4th editions left. Any one need a last minute xmas present for their caving buddy?

Maj.

I think you might be thinking of a different book. We are discussing this one.

5095797665.jpg