Caves / Mines that are suitable to be used by a Level 1 Cave/mine leader

Paul Smith

I was wondering if you lot can help me, I work in a school in Malvern and am the lucky person to be in charge of all of the outdoor education. I'm mainly a Mountaineer / Climber / Kayaker / Canoer, who has played around a few times in the past with a spot of mining and caving, mainly in North Wales, with a little in Derbyshire (Including an early Titan through trip!) but have no knowledge of what the Forest can offer.

I have a new member of staff, who holds his Level 1 cave/mine leader award for North Wales (I know that he needs to be re validated to use the forest) who says that he has loads of personal experience of the Forest of Dean and wants me to fund his re-validation so that he can take students out. The problem that I have is that this individual has already shown to me that they are ... likely to overstate(!) their abilities / experience.

As i don't personally have enough experience of the activity or the experience of the venues and whether they are appropriate for his qualification, I'm after a couple of recommendations for possible venues that would fall within this person's remit.

crickleymal

If you want to do the FoD you need to speak to the FODCCAG Permits Secretary Dave Tuffley permits@fodccag.co.uk who could probably advise you on a suitable location. You might be better off going somewhere like Goatchurch Cavern in the Mendips. Having said that maybe Clearwell Caves do a caving experience with a leader.

Mind you if he's likely to exaggerate then do you really want him in charge of children in a potentially dangerous situation?

AA Speleo

Hi Paul, there are really only 2 usable sites in the FoD that have relatively easy access.

The `C` or Wye Rapids Caves are on the Eastern side of the River Wye at Symonds Yat, if you have been climbing there you may of seen them, lots of entrances some linking up to make several short through trips.

The Doward Mine Levels AKA "The Pancake Mines" are on the Western side of the River Wye at Symonds Yat, several Iron Mine Levels, some making short through trips.

For the purposes of LCML Award the Doward sites do not have any of the Hazards that are sometimes encountered in Mines, they have in the past been considered to be "Caves"

To have either of these sites added, a candidates should have a good knowledge of the site, it`s access, conservation and any associated hazards, this should in theory be a paper exercise.

Both of these sites are on Forest Enterprise land, strictly speaking a Commercial Operators licence is required to use them !

Hope this helps.

AA