Author Topic: Ogof Gofan  (Read 14310 times)

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
Re: Ogof Gofan
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »
Storm in a teacup.

The proposed article is probably unnecessary, but hardly anyone is likely to read it.

I doubt it'll make much difference to visitor numbers.

Let's get some perspective and calm down...

BTW. I've never been in Ogof Gofan, but I've walked the cliff directly above it a number of times. I have little doubt I could find it with a small bit of research. I'd probably get hold of a copy of the BBC documentary that visited the cave a year or two ago to get some clues...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:07:43 am by Rhys »

Offline TheBitterEnd

• forum hero
  • KCC
    • KCC - Join an active club
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »
The first rule of Ogof Gofan is:  don't mention Ogof Gofan
'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.' — Mark Twain

Offline Anon

• Nobody
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 04:50:46 pm »
The first rule of Ogof Gofan is:  don't mention Ogof Gofan
Ogof Where??

Just out of interest is the map in the SWCC newsletter (1994) inaccurate?

Offline Oceanrower

• menacing presence
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 06:56:29 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread I know, but.........

Seen this?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=609562

Offline southpembscaver

• Dickon
  • regular
  • UBSS, BEC
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 07:18:14 pm »
I'm wondering who thought it would be easier to carry a drill out to Saddle head than a couple of slings to utilise the stake and numerous lassoable blocks?  :confused:

Offline nigel n

• regular
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 09:05:40 am »
No!

If people cant find and use natural belays they shouldn't be there.  Thousands of people climb on the South Pembrokeshire sea cliffs every year without resorting to bolts

Offline John S

• regular
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 11:40:07 pm »
The old iron stakes are all removed and someone has (probably with a bar) taken up anything that seemed loose. This has left very few possible belays and all produce bad rub points over several metres of the rope. The 10mm ss bolt has had the hanger and nut removed so the best back up was useless as I didn't have spares with me. A good bolt on the edge could protect against this very sharp rock and give a decent and secure hang.
If climbers have done this then they should realize caving and climbing use ropes very differently and leave cavers fixed aids alone ! After all it took some finding to discover the bolt.

Offline NigR

• forum hero
  • Grwp Ogofeydd Garimpeiros SWCC
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 03:01:55 am »
Cambrian Caving Council are in the process of finalising an agreement with the MOD for access to Ogof Gofan and it is vital that nothing is done at the present time to place this in jeopardy.

Yes, there has been some recent misunderstanding concerning the placement of certain bolts but this has now been sorted out, hopefully to everyone's satisfaction, cavers and climbers alike. In future, NO more bolts will be placed anywhere on the Pembrokeshire sea cliffs by cavers and, if they are, they WILL be removed (by cavers too!). The bolts already in place at Ogof Gofan are being allowed to remain in situ but you will need to take your own hangers (or contact Stuart France for details of how to borrow some).

I am sure an official announcement will be forthcoming in due course but this should suffice for now. If anyone requires further information, best bet is to either get in touch with Stuart directly or send me a PM.

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 10:08:51 pm »
Following a meeting between myself on behalf of cavers with the other interested parties – landowner Defence Infrastructure Organisation and the National Park Authority and NRW professional staff - we now have an interim cave access agreement for Ogof Gofan.  In a nutshell, interested cavers should contact me first by email or phone ideally to discuss their plans, hear about any recent issues or changes to the system, learn how to find the cave itself and what gear to take, if such information is needed.  I will then pass their request on to the National Park Ranger who will issue one-off permits most likely by email.

Park at the St Govan’s Chapel car park.  This is only accessible when the range is not in use for firing practice, i.e. weekends, evenings, and some days midweek.  To avoid disappointment, is advisable to call the range office to check on upcoming closures for live firing before travelling there midweek.

Please take clean equipment and oversuit.  No digging in the cave.  No removal of samples or artefacts from the cave.  No new bolts or other fixtures to be placed.  No novices and maximum group size of four.  Only one such group in the cave at a time.  No military debris to be touched nor walking further inland than the coastal path.

If everyone will please operate this simple system, we stand a very good chance of obtaining a favourable long-term access agreement which will take a little longer as there are documents to be drawn up, and some committees and approvals to clear.

Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council
Access/Conservation Officer

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 12:01:52 am »
A review meeting has taken place last week with the national park staff.  There has also been the annual Range Meeting with army staff, the DIO land agent and other stakeholders attending.  The Ogof Gofan access system outlined in my earlier post has clearly been working in 2015 to everyone's satisfaction and it should be renewed for 2016 on the same terms once it clears some formal committee approvals.

We have been asked to help get a professional bat survey organised during the coming winter and it is hoped that DIO can fund the work.

A small number of cave prospecting visits have been made into Range West this year.  To enter RW you need to attend a health and safety briefing meeting where the site rules and safety precautions are explained.  You then get onto the approved persons list.  The first time you visit RW you must take your passport to the Gatehouse and be issued with a photo permit.  On later occasions you simply ask for your previous permit to be re-issued.   You wear the permit badge while exploring on the RW area and hand it back to the gatehouse at the end of the day to sign out.  It is as simple as that.  The permit is specifically for looking for new caves, and not to enter them without explicit consent from the landowner, not for BBQs, not for walking the dog etc.

I can tell you that it is all very interesting on RW with lots of 100m limestone cliffs in pristine condition.  There are the biggest fossils I have seen in my life.  We haven't found any caves yet, but it obviously has potential.  The next H&S briefings run between Feb 2016 and May 2016 and once you are "approved" then your clearance will last until May 2017.  Anyone who got approved during 2015 has clearance until May 2016.  I'll type up the briefings dates etc and post it later along with a few pics of RW.

Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 12:45:57 am »

The first time you visit RW you must take your passport to the Gatehouse and be issued with a photo permit.  On later occasions you simply ask for your previous permit to be re-issued.
Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant, so now you have to have a passport to go cave hunting in Wales  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 09:53:26 am »
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant, so now you have to have a passport to go cave hunting in Wales  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you have to have a passport to go cave hunting on a previously out of bounds MOD live firing range...
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 09:23:05 pm »
Well I suppose a photo driving licence would be acceptable ID too.

Range West is just a teeny bit different from your average limestone hill.  MOD and their partners fire a million pieces of ordnance a year here ranging from plain vanilla bullets to much bigger stuff.

It's not surprising is it, in this day and age, that security and safety is paramount in our host's thinking, and we are grateful to DIO (the land management part of MOD) that we have been given a welcome when there is no official business going on, subject to some pretty obvious T&Cs.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 09:29:09 pm »

You are embarrassing yourself by showing how out of touch you are. Try caving in Spain in a national park sometime.

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 09:56:54 pm »
I'm not embarrassed, considering the number of emoticons, I would have thought my comment would be taken as a joke, chill out Cap'n, we know passports are required for Spain-.

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 11:10:56 pm »
I attended the annual Range Meeting at the end of 2015 which is public meeting between the landowners (an MOD agency) and the public including representatives of recreational users:  caving, fishing, climbing etc.  This went well from out point of view with a commitment to continue the present cave access systems here.

Since then we've set up a conservation project to do some bat research in the cave, and the like, to run during 2016.  I've recently taken army and national park personnel into the cave so they know now firsthand what it is all about.  This also went down well.

Just a reminder to everyone please of the system for arranging a visit into Ogof Gofan on Range East at Castlemartin.  Just send me an email via the address on the Cambrian Caving Council website and I will pass your request to the ranger who will authorise it by email assuming the cave is not double booked and there are no concurrent military activities.  You'll also receive a Grade 5 survey of the cave courtesy of John Stevens and some notes on cave conservation and access, including where to park and how to find it.  Please give a couple of weeks notice if you can in case anyone involved in the permit process is not immediately available.

You don't need to attend the "Range Briefing" sessions simply to visit Ogof Gofan as those briefings only cover the extra safety precautions needed to enter the coastal margin of Range West where explosive rounds are fired.

Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council
Access-Conservation Officer

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 08:30:28 pm »
I nicked the following description:

From the main entrance, a very tight excavated crawl excludes all but the smaller caver.  This leads to a well decorated passage and then a magnificent chamber some 50 feet by 30 feet with a great hollow in the centre surrounded by stalagmites.  Formed in a pool at the bottom are four huge specimens, one a column 14 feet to the ceiling.  The others are 10 feet, 8 feet, and 6 feet respectively.  Another 5 feet of the largest is submerged in the pool.  A further 150 feet of well decorated passage leads off.

The finds include Neolithic Peterborough ware pottery, worked flints and animal bones, possibly some Upper Palaeolithic remains.

How did Neolithic Peterborough Man get to live in this cave?

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »
Appears some pics would be nice --- anyone???---

Offline traff

• addict
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 08:22:37 am »
Just some snaps on a compact, nothing fancy, taken a few years ago. These really don't do the place justice.

Offline traff

• addict
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 08:25:35 am »
And some more.

No comments about the rope rub please......

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »
Thanks Traff, some impressive formations in there  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline JasonC

• junky
  • KCC
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 05:12:48 pm »
Seconded  - thanks !
And the entrance pitch looks interesting too...

Offline todcaver

• player
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 08:27:08 am »
I'm going to get down there handy before you come up with any more Suggestions for the arse holes -  I dunno , birth certificate stuck to forehead  -
What if you don't drive , and don't have a passport = no entry to a cave that I own just as much as anyone else !    :shrug:   

Online Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2016, 09:59:25 pm »
I'm going to get down there handy before you come up with any more Suggestions for the arse holes -  I dunno , birth certificate stuck to forehead  -
What if you don't drive , and don't have a passport = no entry to a cave that I own just as much as anyone else !    :shrug:   

I think you need to re-read the agreements above. No ID is needed to access Ogof Gofan, just apply for a permit to the CCC Access Officer who will deal with your request.

Photo ID is only required if you attend the Range briefing sessions which give access to Range West for prospecting for new caves. The ID is to allow MOD personnel to ascertain that you have been on the briefing and are permitted onto this live firing military range.

Stuart, thanks for sorting this out. We went to Ogof Gofan over Easter and it was superb, a real gem.
I'm a very busy person

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 10:05:48 pm »
I've been the Range Meeting (AGM) a week or two ago.  Landowner is happy with the way things are working out for Ogof Gofan, which is on Range East, so the same access system will operate through 2017, which is basically that your trip needs to be booked through me in advance so we don't get a load of different groups turning up all at once by chance.  Size limit 4 people per group.  Clean gear please.

Stuart France