CROW Caves on Mendip

Space Kadet

Hello,

Does anyone know how many CROW affected caves there are on Mendip (if any)?  This may have been spoken about before.

Please can we keep the answers nice and civilized.

SK

zomjon

I'm pretty sure it's been discussed at least 10 fold, but I admit that finding the references could prove quite daunting!!!  :beer:

badger

not sure how many, but certainly the 2 that might be most effected are UFS and St. Cuthberts

bograt

Peter Burgess said:
bograt said:
So far 2 caves on Mendip, How many elsewhere?
But the topic was specifically Mendip.

The Mendip question was answered (2 caves), I was merely extending the debate. If you wish to keep the CRoW debate specific to  Mendip, why did you sanction propaganda circulated nationally by e-mail?.

Ed W

SK;

Working form memory here, but if I recall correctly from the CSCC EGM on the subject, there are 151 cave entrances that have been identified as lying on Access Land.  Some of these are gated at present, but the CSCC Conservation & Access Officer stated that of these only four concerned him with respect to possible conservation issues.  These were St Cuthbert's Swallet, Upper Flood Swallet, Bone Hole and Grebe Swallet.  These will need Section 26 applications if access controls are to be maintained as and when CROW is officially re-interpreted as applying to caves.

There are several that are gated for public safety reasons, and there has been some debate about which of these would warrant Section 25 applications to maintain access controls for public safety reasons.

Hope this helps,

Ed

paul

bograt said:
Peter Burgess said:
bograt said:
So far 2 caves on Mendip, How many elsewhere?
But the topic was specifically Mendip.

The Mendip question was answered (2 caves), I was merely extending the debate. If you wish to keep the CRoW debate specific to  Mendip, why did you sanction propaganda circulated nationally by e-mail?.

[gmod]This post was made in the Mendip Forum section so not on topic Bograt. The OP simply wishes a list of caves possibly affected by CROW not a debate.[/gmod]

Space Kadet

Very true Paul I was only asking about Mendip.  It will be interesting to see how gates are affected?  I don't want to see gates removed from any cave for safety and conservation reasons.

If gate are removed would it just be external gates?  What about internal gates limiting access to different parts of the cave?

SK

Ian Adams

Space Kadet said:
It will be interesting to see how gates are affected? 

Yes it will.

I am not aware of any open access proponent wishing, asking or demanding that the gates of the two affected caves been removed. Nor am I aware of any such person wishing to diminish the conservation value of either of them.

Ian

menacer

Second ian , that said,  i have heard that a yes vote might unleash the four horses of the apocalypse, send stal flying from their long term positions, result in non cavers falling to their deaths, flip the earths magnetic fields, cause UKIP to go into government, polar bears drown, arsteroids crash to earth, and ISIS rule the world, and possibly even some cavers having a sense of humour failure at the attempt of humour in this post.  :eek:

Good answer Ed BTW

Simon Wilson

Space Kadet said:
Hello,

Does anyone know how many CROW affected caves there are on Mendip (if any)?  This may have been spoken about before.

SK

SK,
Now that you have had the number 2 for Mendip confirmed I will give you a more authoritative number for the North in order to give you some more food for thought because it could be considered a "numbers game". The number is 1795 - maybe more than the total number of caves in the rest of the country put together? So if it is a numbers game CRoW is going on for a thousand times more relevant in the North.

martinm

Sigh, in a recently published booklet by members of BCA there were 7 caves noted that might be affected. At the latest BCA C&A meeting I was told there might be 10-15 caves affected!

Don't ask me what they are, cos I don't know,  it's not my area. But I suggest that by talking to your local area reps that attend the BCA C&A meetings you might get a more definitive answer. Just a thought, but might give you a better answer than just posting on here...  :coffee:

Simon Wilson

mmilner said:
Sigh, in a recently published booklet by members of BCA there were 7 caves noted that might be affected. At the latest BCA C&A meeting I was told there might be 10-15 caves affected!

Don't ask me what they are, cos I don't know,  it's not my area. But I suggest that by talking to your local area reps that attend the BCA C&A meetings you might get a more definitive answer. Just a thought, but might give you a better answer than just posting on here...  :coffee:

7 is about 0.4% of the number for the North.

But the objection to CRoW down South is mainly about gated caves and that number is 2.

martinm

Simon Wilson said:
mmilner said:

7 is about 0.4% of the number for the North.

But the objection to CRoW down South is mainly about gated caves and that number is 2.

Sorry Simon. With all due respect I am looking at the booklet now and the number with locked gates is 7. And that is only the caves on SSSI access land. At the BCA meeting it was indicated by the CSCC rep present that there were more like 10-15 sites.

I was at the meeting, you weren't.

The figure 2 you are quoting is for the peak district not mendip. We don't have a problem in the Peak. We have only 2 gated and locked entrances to natural caves and they are on NT land so they make their own  bylaws which we respect.

:coffee:

Simon Wilson

Laurie said:
Maybe I'm not understanding.
Does the number of sites actually matter?

I think it does. The BCA are formulating a national policy by a ballot/poll which is all about counting numbers. That national policy will have to be accepted by all members and will hopefully reach an amicable compromise. So I am suggesting that we have to weigh having to do a bit a paperwork to retain gates on a small number of caves (2 or maybe 7) against gaining access to many caves which have no access and better access to other caves totalling 1795 caves.

martinr

Space Kadet said:
Hello,

SK

Just to put the record straight, because some people are still saying there are only 2 sites on Mendip on CROW access land:

Ed W said:
snip

... from the CSCC EGM on the subject, there are 151 cave entrances that have been identified as lying on Access Land.....