Isle of Man

richardg

Some time soon We are visiting the Isle of Man.

Could anyone help me with this please......

Has someone here got any information on any caves or Karst there please?

I have a memory of seeing a map of a short limestone cave and even the mention of a fossil ammonite in the same cave, but can not remember where I'd read that interesting article..

Richard Gibson....

richardg

Hey Juan...Thank you for that    :coffee: (y)...and the cave has a stream running through it too!

I'm going to drop an email to the Quarry site owners to find out if the cave is still in existence ( not quarried away or buried under land fill  :mad:) and get their permission explore it  :kiss2:...

Do you know if there's a written description of the cave?

Richard

Blakethwaite

There are mines, if that is your thing. A friend & I planned a visit a few years back for a week of mines, railways & beer but it fizzled out at an early stage due to a combination of it not being obvious how to arrange trips & (mainly) an overwhelming lassitude on both of our part...

rhychydwr1

From my postcard collection:

Smugglers Cave, Port Soderick, Isle of Man

Hermit's Cave, Port Soderick, same as above?

Cave at Lynague, Peel.

Garwick Glen Caves - PC comes up on Ebay, regular.

Black Hole Cave, Port Ern [Erin?]

Juan

As far as I'm aware, Turkeyland Quarry Cave is/was the only cave in limestone on the IOM. Alongside the survey, there is a description in MUSS Journal 7. I seem to remember that the "stream" was a tiny trickle. All the caves mentioned by rhychdwr1 are sea caves. The group to talk to for a mines visit is the Laxey Mines Research Group (formally the Manx Mines Research Group).