Sinkhole in beach near Exmouth

Rhys

My Grandmother lived in Exmouth. I remember playing in one of those on Exmouth beach when I was a kid over thirty years ago. I think It's just a spring from local drainage through sand that moves around the beach and pops up in different places periodically.

It's certainly not a sinkhole and there's no limestone nearby.

Rhys

mikem

No, it's sandstone, although cavities can appear in that, I think you're probably right about the spring.

Mike

grahams

I'd agree that it's probably a spring beneath the sand. These are common round Morecambe Bay where they form quicksand pools in the mud as my lad found out when he disappeared up to his armpits when he jumped into one as a toddler.

Rhys

I'm not really sure how this Exmouth one has become a news story or how come the council is apparently so puzzled by it. Dog walkers and regular visitors to the beach will be quite used to seeing them.

mrodoc

These features are often seen on sandy beaches. What on earth is all the fuss about!

crickleymal

"A large mystery hole has appeared"

"The National Maritime Operations Centre sent the Exmouth Coastguard team to secure the area and on arrival found a hole approximately 15" x 15" had appeared and was filled with water."

Is this some strange definition of large that I wasn't previously aware of?

ttxela

I made one much bigger on the beach at wells the other week with my Granddaughter and her bucket and spade!

royfellows

ttxela said:
I made one much bigger on the beach at wells the other week with my Granddaughter and her bucket and spade!

and if the media pick up on it....

"Renegade family undermines coastline"

Hi,

Checked this out today and found that it is still local drainage through sand. Just inland there is a biggish area of flat sandy open ground known as The Maer. Under lying it is a strata of a more than usually solid bed of Red sandstone which outctops to form Maer Rocks which are visible at low tide. I suspect that rain soaks into the sandy area and flows along the top of the sandstone to surface on the beach. The tide must have washed away the Councils hazard tape and no-one is taking any notice. Just as well it wasn't a sinkhole as it would have swallowed the sea at anymore than 1/2 tide!

Idris Williams 

Rhys said:
I'm not really sure how this Exmouth one has become a news story or how come the council is apparently so puzzled by it. Dog walkers and regular visitors to the beach will be quite used to seeing them.