Speleophysics

Joe Duxbury

This is the blurb about the 'spelophysics' article from the 'Physics World' website:

'Unchartered underground ? Taking the rigour of physics to the nether world, a handful of scientists are combining their favourite hobby with their day job, exploring how underground caves form, evolve and move water from one place to another.'

If this is an accurate summary, isn't this usually known as 'geology' and 'hydrology'? Would one of the 'handful of scientists' care to enlighten us as to why this branch of science needs a new label?

TheBitterEnd

physicists.png

bograt

Speleology has always always been good enough for me! ---(although the dipthong is often included by the purists-!!)

Joe Duxbury

mikem said:
No surprise, the Americans ... call it ... spelunking
It's only American non-cavers that call it that. Our transatlantic speleo cousins have rejected such infantile terminology. We are all cavers, now.

Amy

Joe Duxbury said:
mikem said:
It's only American non-cavers that call it that. Our transatlantic speleo cousins have rejected such infantile terminology. We are all cavers, now.
Now there was a recent discussion to call ourselves speleologists because the govt branded cavers as evil enviornment haters (false of course but whats a government if not to slander groups of people?). There is a small push to change away from caver again. I doubt it will occur, though.

bograt

Amy said:
Joe Duxbury said:
mikem said:
Now there was a recent discussion to call ourselves speleologists because the govt branded cavers as evil enviornment haters (false of course but whats a government if not to slander groups of people?). There is a small push to change away from caver again. I doubt it will occur, though.

AAH--Patriotic 'land of the free' supporters?----