Tutorial(s) on Surveying.

NewStuff

Until now, I have done scratchings on paper, rough distances paced out, and a rough outline, and it's been adequate for what we need.

However, we want/need something more definitive. I have a laser distance meter, and it's accurate to my non-stretch tape.

However, how do I get those distances onto paper, and then "digitised" I am sure there is a system with defined(ish) steps used by all and sundry.

If it makes an difference, it will mainly be used for mines. There's no point using the old abandonment plans for the place we'll be doing the first survey at, as they bear little resemblance to reality, hence our need for an accurate plan/survey, and this bears true for a fair number of other places we think would benefit from a decent survey.

NewStuff

Martinr - I'm a little wary, the site I dig up for them (http://csg.bcra.org.uk/csg.html) lists the next meet at 2002. More than a little out of date. That said, if it contains what I want, I'm happy to get it.

Goydenman - Replied, Thanks.

I'm more after a set of "rules" or conventions, legends etc that are used when putting the measurements to paper or in some sort of program. I'm aware that Caves have a more structured approach to surveying than Mine exploration or Abandonment plans, and if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it properly, hence wanting to learn.