Anglesey limestone

Bratchley

So there's loads of it. There's only a few caves.

The Menai straight limestone has zero cave. Anyone know why? Is the limestone not the correct type? Or have entrances simply not been located?

Cheers,
Josh

Flotsam

There's no relief to develop caves although I've no idea what the situation was before and during the ice age. I'm aware of an arch on the beach, in limestone, at Penmon close to Puffin Island, probably sea eroded.

rhychydwr1

Bratchley said:

The Menai straight limestone has zero cave. Anyone know why? Is the limestone not the correct type? Or have entrances simply not been located?

Cheers,
Josh

There is a book ....

RobinGriffiths

Combination of lack or relief, thin limestones, unfavourable hydrology. The only genuinely potentially cavernous limestone is that at Castell Mawr where there are small caves and some flowstone.

Having said that, the main area is quite extensive, dipping south east, with a thick impermeable sandstone at the base, with several sandstone horizons within. There is a good springline adjacent to the line of the Afon Lligwy, despite being up dip, and I suspect there may be something around here. The valley at SH483 843 may be significant as it's against the dip and may indicate a different glacial/pre glacial regime.

rhychydwr1

rhychydwr1 said:
Bratchley said:

Cheers,
Josh

There is a book ....

I thought someone would have asked.  It is actually a DVD:

THE CAVES AND MINES OF ANGLESEY by Tony Oldham  January 2006 ix + 57 pp, illus, surveys, 3 pages of colour photos.  Anglesey is overshadowed by the great Parys Mountain copper mine.  This book describes many of the smaller mines including the long forgotten coal mines at Berw.  Usual gazetteer style: name, national grid reference, description and references.  Only available as a DVD for a handling free of ?3.00 post free in the UK.  Or check out this website: 

https://sites.google.com/site/cavesofnortheastwales/home

richardg

It's been suggested here that Cave development is impaired by lack of relief....
I would like to add that this is totally not the case.
Around the world vast Cave systems are developed where relief is often minimal....

Also Tony Oldham's guides are always an excellent resource

Richard...