Canyons

RobinGriffiths

Not strictly Wales caves but did not want it languishing in idle chat...

Anyway, I sort of did Afon Ddu in trainers and a cagoule last year, had a family walk round Maentwrog Gorge yesterday (Lower Prysor) - paths, not gorge, saw some groups emerging from the gorge, and have been wondering why there aren't any topos online. Plenty of links to groups, but nothing as to entry/exit point, belays, rope lengths etc, etc. My work colleague unchartiably suggested that such info was not in circulation for commercial reasons.

GT

Not much worthy of a topo, if you google the gorge you'll find plenty of you tube vids to make the place look a lot more impressive than it is. Really there's just one long slide which needs careful management, followed by a pitch (which can be walked around), sometimes done as a zip line, followed by an amusing slide/drop which can also be jumped in. Canyons stretching it...

Activity Centres and Canyons tend to jealously hoard any information about Canyon routes, rigging, anchors, fixed tat etc in my experience!
Most of them have favoured routes with accepted rigging points/anchors/gear placements...
But you try finding that information committed to paper anywhere!!!

RobinGriffiths

jasonbirder said:
Activity Centres and Canyons tend to jealously hoard any information about Canyon routes, rigging, anchors, fixed tat etc in my experience!
Most of them have favoured routes with accepted rigging points/anchors/gear placements...

That was what I suspected. Anyway, sounds like a 30m rope and see how it goes is the order of the day.

Les W

RobinGriffiths said:
jasonbirder said:

That was what I suspected. Anyway, sounds like a 30m rope and see how it goes is the order of the day.

You could make a topo then as well...  ;)