Which Camera Flash?

sertle81

Hi folks. I?ve been considering my options for three new camera flash units for off camera flash purposes. For the past few years I have been using various Yongnuo models, in conjunction with Pocketwizard radio slaves, and have been blown away by their capacity and reliability relative to their price tag.  The obvious choice would be to stick with what I know and buy some more Yongnuo's, but I?ve been doing my research into off camera flash for sale online and have also heard very good things about the Godox models that are roughly about the same price. Has anybody experience of using both makes of flash? Would you rate one over the other? Pros and cons of each? Was one particular better suited to the cave environment? Longer battery life? Quicker refresh time? Ease of use? There are a few comparisons online but none from people in our line of adventure sport. I?d love to hear what others think if anybody is in a position to offer an objective opinion. Thanks in advance folks.
yn_560_2-2.jpg

Godox-TT685S-Flash-Kit.jpg

sertle81

sertle81 said:
Hi folks. I?ve been considering my options for three new camera flash units for off camera flash purposes. For the past few years I have been using various Yongnuo models, in conjunction with Pocketwizard radio slaves, and have been blown away by their capacity and reliability relative to their price tag.  The obvious choice would be to stick with what I know and buy some more Yongnuo's, but I?ve been doing my research into off camera flash for sale online and have also heard very good things about the Godox models that are roughly about the same price. Has anybody experience of using both makes of flash? Would you rate one over the other? Pros and cons of each? Was one particular better suited to the cave environment? Longer battery life? Quicker refresh time? Ease of use? There are a few comparisons online but none from people in our line of adventure sport. I?d love to hear what others think if anybody is in a position to offer an objective opinion. Thanks in advance folks.
yn_560_2-2.jpg

Godox-TT685S-Flash-Kit.jpg

Any feedback on this folks?

blackholesun

Wish I could help, but I've never been brave enough to bring TTL units underground. In a two year period, I think I lost 6 flashguns due to various failures and accidents, and this has always put me off bringing anything that wasn't picked up cheap on ebay.

The only think I can think to add about TTL systems is that, if you want to slightly reduce how many fragile and expensive items you have to bring underground, it's often possible to have one flash attached by a cable instead of a radio trigger.

pwhole

As I use a Pentax camera, none of the cheaper options were available to me, but in the end I settled for two wireless Cactus RF60s with a V6 radio trigger, and they work fine on most trips underground. Guide number of 56, so pretty powerful. They work with just about all camera makes straight out of the box. I also invested in another Peli 1300 to put them in, so I've been able to fling them around in the Speedwell streamway etc., and all still works fine.

alastairgott

just watch out for those muddy fingers of your camera assistants! some camera assistants are good, and some (like me) are Mucky Oiks!
Still, Pwhole got a two page spread in descent for that so (I guess) the payoff for putting up with mucky people was good.