GB Ladder Dig is sumped

Duncan S

Just back from a sportingly wet trip into GB.
We failed to get into the Ladder Dig because it is sumped just after the old gate near the top of the climb.
The hands and knees crawl over cobbles runs slightly downhill to the next chamber about 10m away; it is probably all sumped.

It seems that last night's rain backed up the main sump high enough for it to run into the Ladder Dig.
I'm told by an experienced Wessex member that it may take months for this water to drain.

i-d3PRXj7-M.jpg

The view ahead while lying in the old gate near the start of the Ladder Dig

i-ddLS47c-M.jpg

Same view with Miri in it. This should be a dry chamber with a hands and knees crawl heading off into the distance at floor level.

i-gvqbc3s-M.jpg

Foam indicating the Ladder Dig was flooded from the Main Rift.
The chain at the top of the climb is just visible behind Miri.
In the Main Rift, foam went up both walls slightly higher than the Ladder Dig Entrance.

Despite the stream still being in high water conditions we didn't see any ponded water down the rift at the sump.
It seems the water level has dropped rather fast.
We are kicking ourselves we didn't go to the sump for a look as it is possible something has shifted under the unusually high pressure.

PeteHall

Duncan S said:
We are kicking ourselves we didn't go to the sump for a look as it is possible something has shifted under the unusually high pressure.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the water actually disappears down through the boulders in the floor before the sump at the end.

If you have a look on the survey (which you can download here: http://www.ubss.org.uk/cave_survey_archive.php ) you will see some small rifts below where you go up to the ladder dig. These are now full of cobbles and boulders, but I think most of the water drains this way.

If you do go back for another look, it would be interesting to know if anything has shifted...  (y)

mrodoc

The lowest part of the dig was dug to a chamber where water falling could be heard originally. The 68 flood filled it up and it has been gradually clearing ever since. Some water does sink into the boulders on the left which isn't surprising as you are near the top of an almighty choke  there!

Long Drop

Ladder dig was not sumped yesterday, although the ducks were very wet and the last short low grovelly one was a nose-against-the-roof job.