Is the BCA anchor scheme working as well as it could be?

Mark Wright

Apologies first of all for the Kenilworth size of post.

I doubt re-bolting Rowter Hole would have been done if the BCA hadn?t funded it. The digging and climbing project cost over ?2,000 in materials and access fees and another ?1,000 for anchors would have broken the club?s bank.

Instead, cavers would be using some of the 150+ HKD?s that we used during the original vertical exploration beyond the Ice Cream Trail. And as for carrying out a visual examination of all anchors prior to use, for the anchors in most of the Rowter Hole extensions, you can?t. You?ve got to trust the anchors have been installed and tested correctly and the fixed ropes are all in good order!!

The current problems relating to the choice of anchors that Bob Mehew mentions on the CNCC thread are the exact same problems that were being discussed well over a decade ago when I was briefly involved with the BP anchor training scheme Bob Dearman was putting together.

I had developed a training course for industrial anchor installers while Bob worked for me and he had asked for my opinion on his course content. It was certainly thorough. I did question though the need for such a high strength requirement when industry accepted significantly lower minimum failure loads.

I think insisting registered BP anchor installers demonstrate their SRT competence was a step too far, causing an eruption of ridiculous DCA/CSCC regional anchor installation politics, getting quite nasty on a few occasions.

I get the impression from Simon?s partial explanation of the status of IC anchors with the BCA/CNCC in the Dales that the political situation hasn?t got any better, indeed it sounds like things are even worse. 

It was bad enough when the politicians only had one type of resin anchor to bicker about, now they appear to have 3 and if Simon is no longer in a position to produce his IC anchor, there will probably be 4.

We had a long discussion about BP anchors at the Buttered Badger AGM in Castleton a few weeks ago and, other than the fact that the BCA pay for them, they don?t have much else going for them. Issues include the physical size and weight of the 36v drilling machine needed to drill the deep 16mm holes required for their installation as well as not being able to easily remove them afterwards without leaving a potentially ugly blot on the underground landscape.

Another issue is, as soon as you carry out the axial pull test to confirm their placement, the resin around the little notch you have to drill out to locate and position the eye, cracks as it flexes. In an industrial environment this cracking could be considered as a fail requiring the anchor to be replaced and re-tested.

It?s all well and good expecting ordinary cavers to carry out a thorough examination of all the anchors prior to use but its most unlikely they will have the appropriate skills and knowledge to be able to know what is and isn?t acceptable when even those supposedly ?in the know? can?t even agree on what is and isn?t acceptable, e.g. +/-1mm rotational movement of the anchor after installation, testing or no testing.

So long as the actual anchor eye is not the welded variety its most unlikely it will fail. The only anchor I have ever had fail was one of the old Petzl welded ring hangers attached to an 8mm HKD type anchor in concrete. Under test conditions, following significant deformation of the eye, the weld failed at just over 14kN. Petzl stopped manufacturing welded eyebolts because of the problems Bob Mehew mentioned in the CNCC thread.

The HKD type anchor itself did not show any signs of movement in or out of the hole which is why I was a little surprised at the 5 ? 7kN pull-out forces MarkS mentions in his HKD thread.

I?ve tested many hundreds of these anchors, mainly in concrete, and have never had them pull out at such low loads. I?m pretty sure they?ve all been well over 12kN. I generally use Rawl HKD type anchors. The same HKD type anchor I loaded to 14kN, I regularly load to in excess of 15kN for demonstration purposes and the anchor looks as good as new in the hole. It?s in the floor as well, so it?s usually always wet. 

The low failure loads of the Hilti HKD anchors that haven?t been given a good belt with the hammer is not surprising really and is the same for all manufacturers. 

Some of our club members have questioned the need to carry out the 6kN axial pull testing of every installed BP anchor.

As an installer of thousands of eyebolts for use in the industrial environment over the past 30 years, correct installation and appropriate testing by trained individuals is the key to a sound anchor placement.

With regard to the testing of IC anchors, Simon says, ?Actually we don't have any tools to test them. We do not have the capability and do not do any testing of anchors in caves. The present policy is for you to do the testing of the anchors?.

If it really is the case that ?officially installed?, ?officially approved? or some other equally confusing classification of BCA ?officially certified? anchors are not being appropriately tested after installation then this is very worrying. Checking the current BCA anchor policy there is no mention of testing installed anchors yet in Derbyshire anchors do have to be tested, and rightly so.

In the industrial environment and following the requirements of EN795 and BSEN7883, there should first be a 3 minute, 12kN substrate test in the direction of intended use (usually carried out in shear and then scrapped). All subsequent anchors (in the same substrate) should then be axially tested to 6kN for 15 seconds at least once per year for fall arrest purposes and every 6 months where there is likely to be full suspension, i.e. descending and/or ascending a rope.

The information on the BCA website relating to this axial element of testing as being 10kN is very confusing. Simon quotes axial pull test figures for EN959 anchors of 15kN and 20kN. The BCA website also uses some very peculiar terminology (to me anyway) when it talks about SWL?s. It quotes a SWL for BP anchors as being 11.46kN but I can?t for the life of me work out how that figure has been calculated when the maximum rated load for an item of PPE is usually only a single person.

The requirement in industry to test every anchor at least annually came into force in the late 1990?s. Before then the minimum requirement was to test annually only 5% of the installed anchors on a structure. I can?t remember the exact details of the particular incident that finally led to the change but basically somebody fell onto an EN795 anchor and it failed catastrophically. When the HSE tested all the other anchors, they all failed catastrophically. It was found that none of the anchors had ever been axially tested after particularly poor installation by people who were supposedly competent. 

Where anchors are used in a professional capacity, e.g. by cave instructors, they should really be tested in accordance with the criteria previously mentioned. When health & safety legislation use the word ?should? it effectively means the HSE won?t prosecute you if you don?t test the anchors, but if you don?t test them and one of them fails, resulting in a serious accident or worse, and it can be shown that the accident wouldn?t have happed if you had tested it, then the prosecution would, quite rightly, throw the book at you.

Whilst caving instructors may work under the 2007 amendment to the 2005 Work at Height Regulations, in that they can use a single rope for full suspension purposes, there are still many other regulations which should be followed, e.g. MHSW, PUWER, PPE and LOLER (particularly when terminology such as SWL is being used).

Obviously, anchors should always be used in pairs so the above scenario should be most unlikely.

The issues with 316 Stainless being used in the rope access industry have been similarly discussed. With a large proportion of the work being in the offshore industry it rightly deserves such discussion but I really can?t see the issue in a typical cave environment.

We seem to be tying ourselves in knots with this 316 requirement when there are only a handful of sea caves which may need such permanent rigging, and these have probably already been done if anyone is that bothered about them.

The original idea of the BCA anchor scheme was basically to help stop the problems of bolt rash and hopefully make things a lot safer for those venturing underground. A sound idea.

I wonder though, how bad things would have actually got from a conservation perspective and how many of these bolt failure accidents there actually would have been if the BCA hadn?t developed the scheme. As I said above, if cavers always attach their ropes to 2 anchors there shouldn?t be any accidents.

There was a lot to be said for learning SRT rigging when you had to actually think about where to attach your hangers. One of the main complaints about Dave Elliot and his red ringed bolts and their associated guide book, was that he was trying to coerce us all into ?dot to dot? caving. He got some serious flack for it at the time and I certainly wasn?t a fan but looking where we are today with 2 different batches of BP anchors, Self Drillers, HKD?s, DMM, Raumer, Rainox, IC and their associated guide book, come back Dave Elliot I say.

I?m only joking obviously, any type of threaded anchor is going to wear out too quickly, but we don?t seem to have made much progress since we all agreed they weren?t suitable in the 80?s other than the same ?bolt rash? but this time, instead of them usually being difficult to even see, they stick out like a sore thumb, some might say a proper blot on the landscape.

Another potential issue is the testing of anchors. The ?Axial? test should be just that, a direct pull outwards. The only anchors available which can be truly axially tested are those such as the Collinox, Batinox or Fixe which allow the test rig to be positioned in the middle of the eye. All threaded type anchors can be tested in the same way with the correct thread attachments that are usually supplied with the test rig.

The potential problem with not just the BP anchor is that the test load is applied slightly off centre thus applying bending forces and possible deformation during the actual testing operation and explains why the resin cracks around the offset eye when you test a BP anchor. The inability to properly test the old stainless Petzl Coeur Permanent anchor is the main reason Petzl no longer manufacture them. 

We did some testing in the early 90?s before Richard Greenslade (NCC) and me installed about 400 x 12mm stainless HKD type anchors up and around the Emley Moor transmission tower to enable a full internal and external inspection to be carried out. We managed to break a number of anchors when applying an offset 6kN test load via 12mm stainless Petzl Coeur hanger plates!!

Finding a company capable or, more importantly, willing to take over the responsibility for the manufacture of anchors that are to be used for suspending people, I can?t imagine is going to be easy.

If companies as experienced in this field as DMM stopped making their anchor then any other prospective manufacturer is going to be asking why they stopped. I would hazard a guess at a combination of them being too expensive to manufacture for such a limited market and the potential legal and financial implications should one of them catastrophically fail due to poor installation, which, after all, is the most likely mode of failure.

Ignoring the 316 issue, which isn?t an issue for probably 99.9% of cases, it is clear to me from the different anchor descriptions on the IC website that the best anchor would be a Petzl Collinox. Simon agrees that forging is the best manufacturing method, that they are inherently robust mechanically and that they require only a 12mm hole and it is only the high cost causing them to be rejected.

Collinox anchors are currently available off the shelf at a retail price of ?10.00 + Vat and another ?2.82 + Vat for a glass resin tube but I would imagine, if asked for politely, somebody might offer them at trade so there could be no accusations of profiteering. You could also buy them singly, instead of having to wait for 3 months while 2,500 of them are shipped in from China at considerable up front expense only to be left to clog up somebody?s garage for the next 10 years. 

I wonder how many ?15.00 resin tubes are opened to install only a couple of anchors, or in the case of Rowter Hole, for only a single anchor. That?s nearly 7 x more expensive than a Petzl glass tube.

The glass tubes are surprisingly robust and are a lot easier to carry than the current bulky resin tubes and clumsy application guns which take up as much room in your tackle bag on the way out as they did on the way in.

It?s all well and good accusing people of being selfish, irresponsible and vandalistic for not engaging in the CNCC anchor scheme and installing non-authorised anchors, but to not test any of the ?official? anchors that are being installed under the name of a BCA constituent body, to me, is irresponsible in the extreme.

OK, it?s not reasonably practicable to test anchors every 6 or 12 months but surely they have got to be tested after installation. 

We talk all the time about the litigious world we live in. Indeed, we have even allowed ourselves to be convinced by BCA that we all need to be insured to go caving because of some faint likelihood that someone will try to sue us if we accidentally drop a rock on them.

The likelihood of literally coming unstuck by not testing ?official? anchors at least after they have been installed is a far more worrying and likely outcome. 

Simon wrote, ?there was a period when the resin anchor scheme was not operating as well as it could have been?. I would suggest there has never been a time when the BCA resin anchor scheme has been operating as well as it could have been simply because some of the politicians won?t let it.

I would suggest people engage in the BCA anchor installation scheme by demanding a fundamental review of its current requirements and seriously consider the big chunks of limestone that will be ripped from cave walls when the current BP anchors need replacing in another 10 years and take very seriously the issues relating to not testing ?official? anchors.

Mark

Bob Mehew

It is going to take me more than a little while to compose an answer to Mark's interesting comments.  Hopefully sometime tomorrow Friday.  If others could wait, I am sure the subsequent debate will be of more value.

Bob

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure the answer to the OP is 'no', as there is always room for improvement.  The focus for the BCA/CNCC/DCA scheme has been on a high degree of safety and the equally high specification that has gone with it.  Perhaps this has been too much and others factors such as sourcing, ease of installation, testing, etc not given enough consideration as Mark suggests.

One thing that attracted many to Simon's IC anchor was it's conservation credentials.  It could be removed and the same hole used again if necessary.  This is not so for the BP anchor which has been purchased in the thousands and many have been installed.  Already we are seeing problems with the longevity of the resin bond in some of the early P hanger installations and no doubt in time more and more will need replacing. 

When a batch of 304 stainless were purchased in error a number of these were installed in Dales caves before it was decided to decommission them.  The decommissioning process was to hammer them flat and cover the head of the anchor with resin.  It is my understanding that in Rowten Pot (Kingsdale) 23 anchors were treated in this fashion before 23 of the new BP anchors were placed next to them.  What if there is a problem with these too in years to come?  This really is an even bigger 'bolt rash' in the making.

We should scrap the BP anchors on conservation grounds and invest in and/or support anchor types which are safe to use,but which are also removable without damaging the surrounding rock and which show the kind of conservation credentials that has made the IC anchor popular in the north. 

We can't turn the clock back but we could make better decisions now on anchor types and placements for the future.

Simon Wilson

Bob knows a lot more than me about most of what Mark said but just a few points.

Mark Wright said:
I think insisting registered BP anchor installers demonstrate their SRT competence was a step too far, causing an eruption of ridiculous DCA/CSCC regional anchor installation politics, getting quite nasty on a few occasions.

I get the impression from Simon?s partial explanation of the status of IC anchors with the BCA/CNCC in the Dales that the political situation hasn?t got any better, indeed it sounds like things are even worse. 

The SRT competance thing was sorted out very easily. The IC manual says, "An installer assessed for only one technique must not install anchors for another technique and it is up to the regional council to ensure that that does not happen." The BCA does not tell regions what to do; it's the other way round. The regional councils are in charge of how they do things in their region. Almost all anchors in the North will be installed for primarily for SRT although I can envisage that there might be a few places where ladders might used but I haven't seen one. The other installers with more experience than me will be able to answer that.

I understand things are different in other regions but I have no opinion on the matter. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Dalesbred.

The E&T meetings and the CNCC meetings are very friendly affairs.

Mark Wright said:
... those supposedly ?in the know? can?t even agree on what is and isn?t acceptable, e.g. +/-1mm rotational movement of the anchor after installation, testing or no testing.

There is no disagreement on this as far as I am aware. It is under discussion at the moment that is all.

Mark Wright said:
With regard to the testing of IC anchors, Simon says, ?Actually we don't have any tools to test them. We do not have the capability and do not do any testing of anchors in caves. The present policy is for you to do the testing of the anchors?.

"We" the IC anchor group don't have a tester. The BCA own three of them.

Mark Wright said:
I wonder though, how bad things would have actually got from a conservation perspective and how many of these bolt failure accidents there actually would have been if the BCA hadn?t developed the scheme. As I said above, if cavers always attach their ropes to 2 anchors there shouldn?t be any accidents.

It would have been an absolute disaster, the bolt rash would have been terrible and there might well have been a fatality.

Mark Wright said:
There was a lot to be said for learning SRT rigging when you had to actually think about where to attach your hangers. One of the main complaints about Dave Elliot and his red ringed bolts and their associated guide book, was that he was trying to coerce us all into ?dot to dot? caving. He got some serious flack for it at the time and I certainly wasn?t a fan but looking where we are today with 2 different batches of BP anchors, Self Drillers, HKD?s, DMM, Raumer, Rainox, IC and their associated guide book, come back Dave Elliot I say.

You've lost me there. I can't understand what you mean. If you can remember the Elliot/Lawson routes, if you look very carefully for the red Spits and if you compare the CNCC TG topos with Elliot/Lawson topos you will see that many of the resin anchor routes follow exactly the Elliot/Lawson routes and the topos are transcripts.

And by-the-way, the whole concept of an anchor scheme with approved installers and topo guides was instigated by Elliot and Lawson and continued by the CNCC.

Mark Wright said:
Ignoring the 316 issue, which isn?t an issue for probably 99.9% of cases, it is clear to me from the different anchor descriptions on the IC website that the best anchor would be a Petzl Collinox. Simon agrees that forging is the best manufacturing method, that they are inherently robust mechanically and that they require only a 12mm hole and it is only the high cost causing them to be rejected.

Collinox anchors are currently available off the shelf at a retail price of ?10.00 + Vat and another ?2.82 + Vat for a glass resin tube but I would imagine, if asked for politely, somebody might offer them at trade so there could be no accusations of profiteering. You could also buy them singly, instead of having to wait for 3 months while 2,500 of them are shipped in from China at considerable up front expense only to be left to clog up somebody?s garage for the next 10 years. 

The Collinox design is OK but could easily be improved.

Mark Wright said:
I wonder how many ?15.00 resin tubes are opened to install only a couple of anchors, or in the case of Rowter Hole, for only a single anchor. That?s nearly 7 x more expensive than a Petzl glass tube.

You can open and close a tube as many times as you want. And you can install about 20 IC anchors from one tube.

Mark Wright said:
The glass tubes are surprisingly robust and are a lot easier to carry than the current bulky resin tubes and clumsy application guns which take up as much room in your tackle bag on the way out as they did on the way in.

Can you mix the resin correctly in a cave, hanging on a rope whilst being lashed with spray?

Mark Wright said:
It?s all well and good accusing people of being selfish, irresponsible and vandalistic for not engaging in the CNCC anchor scheme and installing non-authorised anchors, but to not test any of the ?official? anchors that are being installed under the name of a BCA constituent body, to me, is irresponsible in the extreme.

OK, it?s not reasonably practicable to test anchors every 6 or 12 months but surely they have got to be tested after installation. 

The installing of resin anchors in Gingling was the most ambitious cave project so far and a serious undertaking and I take my hat off to the ULSA team that did it. If anybody wants to volunteer to a take Hydrajaws tester down there and test them I'm sure one of the BCA testers could be made available.

Bob Mehew

I feel I must correct potential gross inaccuracies.

Badlad said:
When a batch of 304 stainless were purchased in error a number of these were installed in Dales caves before it was decided to decommission them.  The decommissioning process was to hammer them flat and cover the head of the anchor with resin.  It is my understanding that in Rowten Pot (Kingsdale) 23 anchors were treated in this fashion before 23 of the new BP anchors were placed next to them. 
My understanding is that the only 304 BP anchors placed in the Dales were for training purposes in quarries and similar locations and not on pitches for 'SRT' use.  Indeed CNCC report at http://cncc.org.uk/fixed-aids/anchor-locations.php that the only BP anchors placed in the Dales were in Pippikin Pot and that Rowten has Eco anchors.  I believe that record is accurate.

Can you verify your understanding?

Bob

topcat

"Can you mix the resin correctly in a cave, hanging on a rope whilst being lashed with spray?"

Not an SRT route then? :LOL:

MarkS

Bob Mehew said:

Badlad said:
When a batch of 304 stainless were purchased in error a number of these were installed in Dales caves before it was decided to decommission them.  The decommissioning process was to hammer them flat and cover the head of the anchor with resin.  It is my understanding that in Rowten Pot (Kingsdale) 23 anchors were treated in this fashion before 23 of the new BP anchors were placed next to them. 
My understanding is that the only 304 BP anchors placed in the Dales were for training purposes in quarries and similar locations and not on pitches for 'SRT' use.  Indeed CNCC report at http://cncc.org.uk/fixed-aids/anchor-locations.php that the only BP anchors placed in the Dales were in Pippikin Pot and that Rowten has Eco anchors.  I believe that record is accurate.

Bob

Whatever the reasoning, Rowten "Big Gully" route has an awful lot of anchors that have been hammered flat and covered with resin...

Ah, here we go: cncc.org.uk/doc/113

"Given that there are over 30 anchors in Rowten..."

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Bob Mehew said:

Badlad said:

Bob

This was the case in the Gully Route of Rowten pot.  It was much discussed and presented to me as one of the reasons to support the conservation credentials of the IC anchor over the BP.  Photos of the decommissioned anchors were passed around and the installation took place after the great anchor drought so I'd be surprised that there were any 'P' hangers left to replace them.  It has also been reported at CNCC that the anchor records have been hard to track down so this may account for confusion on the topo info you quote.

There was also an anchor in Stream Passage pot around the same time which had a label on it stating that it was safe to use but was due to be decommissioned as it was the wrong type.  The label lasted over a year and then I noticed it floating down the stream during a winch meet.  I'm not sure if this was the same type of anchor.

I'm only recounting what I have listened to in meetings - I have not been actively involved in the anchor scheme myself, but you will know who to ask for a first hand account.  Anyway the point I was making on conservation still stands.

Post crossed with MarkS

Hammering resined in P hangers flat.

What in the name of control freaking funkery are these ************ doing?!?!?!?!?!  :mad:

[admin]Original offensive phrase removed. DOC - please don't repeat such references, thank you, Pegasus[/admin]

andrewmcleod

Am I right (I could be totally wrong) in thinking the BCA has only tested/approved BP 8mm 100mm twisted leg bolts? Was there any rationale for either a) using the 'soft rock' length rather than the standard 80mm, and using 8mm instead of 6mm bolts (which only need a 12mm hole)? The one test I can find on the Bolt Products site for a 6mm 80mm twisted-leg bolt in limestone got 34kN which is pretty much the same strength as an IC anchor? Quite amusingly the 6mm 80mm twisted-leg bolt got ~12kN (axial) and 20kN (radial) in coarse-grained granite - without glue! They are designed for an interference fit...

Is there a reason the BP non-twisted leg anchors are not considered? (yes, they do have a weld) Presumably as they have a weaker bond to the rock (hence the recommendation for the better glue I think cavers are using anyway) they pull out easier and possibly cleaner?

Incidentally, part of the logic for the large oval head on the BP anchors is to help prevent accidental unclipping...

Climbers care as much (possibly more) about conservation of rock and they provide a much bigger market than caving. In order to be financially successful as a business venture I suspect IC anchors would benefit from being marketed to climbers. Or it could just be accepted that bolts for caving will be an in-house thing with consequently (potentially dramatically) higher prices. How much does an IC anchor cost?

The only person who has real authority to decide what bolts go where is the landowner. In climbing there are no rules about bolting; what there is is consensus and the BMC makes no attempt to influence that. The BMC only mediates and provides a forum for discussion. I think this is quite healthy.

So if a regional caving council asks people (nicely) not to use non-approved anchors and to work with their anchor program, that is fine _provided that is the agreed consensus of cavers_. If that regional council (and I really don't think this is what the CNCC are doing, I am just making the point) decides to 'disallow' a certain kind of anchor that is generally agreed to be safe enough, then this could be an issue as a regional council shouldn't have the 'right' to dictate what anchors cavers place. Equally all cavers should be incredibly reticent to place bolts unless they are definitely sure that they are placing bolts _within_ the consensus of cavers (I said climbers don't have rules, but they will bury you in a shallow grave at the bottom of the route if you stick a bolt in natural gritstone).

If the consensus is that no bolts other than IC anchors should be placed in the Dales because no other anchor is cleanly removable (if that is indeed the case), then people should abide by that. Equally I don't see that every bolt needs to be placed by the CNCC provided they are placed in a way that is in agreement with the current consensus and the bolting is not controversial in any significant way (I am personally uncertain whether to agree or disagree with the CNCC position on conservation; I could potentially be convinced either way).

I can see this becoming a problem if a) the CNCC only places IC anchors, b) IC anchors become unobtainable, and c) cavers wish to place bolts, and find they cannot do so through the CNCC. If those cavers place their own bolts in a way that is agreeable to the caving community at large, I can't see what the issue is. Of course, getting the caving community to (largely) agree on anything may be the stumbling block here...

andrewmcleod

Badlad said:
There was also an anchor in Stream Passage pot around the same time which had a label on it stating that it was safe to use but was due to be decommissioned as it was the wrong type.  The label lasted over a year and then I noticed it floating down the stream during a winch meet.  I'm not sure if this was the same type of anchor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those were the batch 1 prototype Eco anchor replacements which had been tested and had nothing found to be wrong with them, but were slated for replacement because the second batch had dodgy Chinese steel?

How many resin bolts have been replaced because they _actually_ needed replacing?
How many resin bolts which were probably perfectly fine have been hammered flat/ground off etc. because of the above, or because they were not quite the desired grade of stainless steel (despite that grade being almost certainly fine)?

How much more damage has been done by people worrying about the bolts too much when really there are a million and one things that are much, much more likely to kill you? You rig in pairs for a reason, and to a reasonable first, second and third order approximation resin bolts never fail (catastrophically in the UK)!

Also how many (possibly good) bolts have been replaced due to damage during testing?

Mark Wright

The SRT competence issue shouldn't have been sorted by bowing to the politicians and writing a load of nonsense in your manual, it should have been thrown out altogether.

There is no disagreement on this as far as I am aware. It is under discussion at the moment that is all. Bob doesn't seem to agree. There is clearly disagreement on the testing issue.

The bolt rash might not have been such a big disaster. Firstly, you (Simon) might have designed and manufactured a simple ratchet/torque spanner to remove the old Spits.

Next, a load of people from all over the country, who knew what they were talking about, might have got together in a pub and agreed that it was totally unnecessary for anchors going into 99.9% of the sites to be made from 316 stainless as the additional levels of safety they provided were considered so minuscule that it did not justify the considerable additional cost.

After a second pint one of them might say, 'I think we need an anchor that meets all the requirements of a relevant standard, just so we can easily cover our arses if the shit hits the fan; It needs to be easily available, ideally over a shop counter; The associated paraphernalia needed to carry out the anchor installation and testing needs to be easily carried down a cave; They need to be easy to install with as little room for error as possible; They need to be tested easily after installation; They need to be easily inspected; They need to be easily removed and replaced without causing a conservational catastrophe and we need to be able to afford them'.

He then goes to the bar and when he comes back everybody agrees with him. They then look at whats available and the Collinox is the no-brainer, its just the cost.

One of the group (not Simon) then politely asks Lyon/Petzl if they can help out in any way, due to the large numbers they would be buying. Without much hesitation they say yes we'll give you a 35% discount and next thing all the caves are rigged with identical anchors with all of them tested, result. 

Meanwhile, you (Simon) might have developed your ratchet/torque spanner to not only pull old anchors out, but use it for testing new installations to 6kN. Petzl might have thought it was a brilliant idea and paid you loads of money for it and then got you in help develop their new range of heavy duty Crolls. 

'And by-the-way, the whole concept of an anchor scheme with approved installers and topo guides was instigated by Elliot and Lawson and continued by the CNCC.' I wasn't aware of that.

Everything can be improved but we don't want to be introducing complex engineering processes when perfectly good products are available off the shelf.

Collinox and glass tube resin couldn't be easier to install whilst hanging from a rope. All you have to do is break the end of the glass tube and screw it in.

The installation and testing of 68 anchors and about 200m of fixed ropes at the end of Rowter Hole was also a bit ambitious but the young Badgers pulled it off perfectly.

Mark

andrewmcleod

Mark Wright said:
One of the group (not Simon) then politely asks Lyon/Petzl if they can help out in any way, due to the large numbers they would be buying.

I'm not convinced that even the BCA's yearly order would really count as a 'large' number (although I'm sure some discount could be arranged)? The BMC spent ?10k or so on bolts in various years (at least 2007 and 2012 I think) for their bolt replacement programme and that is only a small part of bolt replacement in the UK which is I suspect mostly done by the various (voluntary) bolt funds? And nearly all new route bolts are paid for by the first ascender.

Mark Wright

Unfortunately it was a different group of people who thought they knew what they were talking about that got together in a pub and we are where we are now.

Mark

Tommy

I'm sure this has been discussed before but it is a discussion I have not been a part of, apologies if it's tangential to the original topic:

Why do we not drill out threads for slings? Or manufacture slots for gear like nuts and cams, or use removable anchors in standard bolt holes like these: http://www.climbtech.com/removable-anchors/

Any connoisseur of popular low grade trad climbing routes knows that gear slots widen with time, but the discussion here highlights even the impermanence or unsuitability of bolt placements. What's more permanent and minimalist (cheap!) than the rock itself?

Why are we transfixed with bolts? What's wrong with owning a caving 'rack' too (not that one!)?

Simon Wilson

Mark Wright said:
The SRT competence issue shouldn't have been sorted by bowing to the politicians and writing a load of nonsense in your manual, it should have been thrown out altogether.
Thank you Mark.      Did you used to post using the name Exsumper?

So - Mark Wright, the owner of Mark Wright Training Limited, says that a person who is approved to install anchors under the BCA anchor scheme need have no SRT competence. That would be quite a radical change to the requirements. It would need to be agreed by the E&T committee. Please come to the next E&T meeting to explain the justification and advise us on the wording of the manual. I would prefer it if the manual did not contain a load of nonsense and I think the team of experienced installers who helped to write it would agree.

Mark Wright said:
There is no disagreement on this as far as I am aware. It is under discussion at the moment that is all. Bob doesn't seem to agree. There is clearly disagreement on the testing issue.
I can't remember you being at the last E&T meeting. But you appear to have information on this matter that I don't have.

Mark Wright said:
The original idea of the BCA anchor scheme was basically to help stop the problems of bolt rash and hopefully make things a lot safer for those venturing underground. A sound idea.
Mark Wright said:
The bolt rash might not have been such a big disaster. Firstly, you (Simon) might have designed and manufactured a simple ratchet/torque spanner to remove the old Spits.
So  - according to Mark Wright Spits and bolt rash are fine and the whole BCA anchor scheme has been a complete waste of time and effort. Like I said,  people aren't engaging with the anchor scheme and if Mark Wright with all his vast experience is not  on board then we are in trouble.
I have developed a quick and easy way of removing Spits which leaves a hole ideally suited to placing a resin anchor.  http://www.resinanchor.co.uk/5.html              However,  there is still a big problem with the Spits that are there now. In some places they pepper the pitch heads and a Spit hole can only be reused if it's in exactly the right place which it rarely is.

Mark Wright said:
They then look at whats available and the Collinox is the no-brainer, its just the cost.
So - Mark Wright says the Petzl Colinox is the best anchor on the market. Why is that not surprising?

Mark Wright said:
Meanwhile, you (Simon) might have developed your ratchet/torque spanner to not only pull old anchors out, but use it for testing new installations to 6kN. Petzl might have thought it was a brilliant idea and paid you loads of money for it and then got you in help develop their new range of heavy duty Crolls. 
There's few problems there. Petzl don't appear to be interested in engineers and Petzl don't answer my emails about their dangerous Croll.

Mark Wright said:
'And by-the-way, the whole concept of an anchor scheme with approved installers and topo guides was instigated by Elliot and Lawson and continued by the CNCC.' I wasn't aware of that.
There's a few other things you possibly aren't aware of. The Elliot/Lawson bolting scheme greatly improved  SRT skills in the UK which prior to them was pretty bad. One thing they did was introduce the Y hang.  Also, Dave Elliot was possibly the most prolific installer of resin anchors in the Dales once resin anchors were introduced.

Mark Wright said:
Everything can be improved but we don't want to be introducing complex engineering processes when perfectly good products are available off the shelf.
The manufacturing process of the IC anchor is no more "complex" than the Petzl Colinox.  And the IC anchor is superior to anything available off the shelf.

Mark Wright said:
Collinox and glass tube resin couldn't be easier to install whilst hanging from a rope. All you have to do is break the end of the glass tube and screw it in.
There is more to it than that.  I have thoroughly researched the options for resin used in caves and rejected ampoules.

The instructions that come with a Petzl Colinox do not properly describe how to use the Spit Maxima ampoules that Petzl supply.  The Spit Maxima ampoules are part of an anchor system that Spit manufacture which includes special studs and special drill attachments to spin the studs in the holes in order to properly mix the resin.  It is essential that the resin is properly mixed. As far as I can see, Petzl don't supply a tool to spin the Collinox whilst Raumer do supply a spinning tool for use with their ampoule resin.

You can't easily use the spinning tool in a cave. Also the resin is runny and will run out of an upwards hole.

Mattrees

Topimo said:
Why do we not drill out threads for slings? Or manufacture slots for gear like nuts and cams, or use removable anchors in standard bolt holes like these: http://www.climbtech.com/removable-anchors/

There was a US fatality as a result of a removable bolt failing: http://caves.org/section/vertical/nh/45/ivyaccrpt.html

Apparently they don't like mud.

Note: This bolt failure was a link in a chain of events and had the climber not been belaying a dynamic load on a static rope with an ascender, the results would be very different.

molerat

andrewmc said:
If the consensus is that no bolts other than IC anchors should be placed in the Dales because no other anchor is cleanly removable (if that is indeed the case), then people should abide by that. Equally I don't see that every bolt needs to be placed by the CNCC provided they are placed in a way that is in agreement with the current consensus and the bolting is not controversial in any significant way (I am personally uncertain whether to agree or disagree with the CNCC position on conservation; I could potentially be convinced either way).

http://cncc.org.uk/fixed-aids/

Anchors that are placed by untrained individuals are undesirable as they can be badly installed. Simon recently removed badly installed anchors from Diccan Pot. I seem to recall that Badlad also removed badly installed anchors from somewhere in the Leck Fell area a year or two ago.

Anchors installed as part of the anchor scheme need to be recognisable as such, which rules out Collinox anchors.

Madness

Arguing about it won't remedy the situation.

Regional councils just need to decide on their prefered anchor (based on performance, availability and price), train installers and then produce a publically available instalation programme so that cavers can see when a cave is due to be equipped/re-equipped. The wider caving community (us) need to fund this. We have no right to complain if were just sit on our backsides and don't contribute to making the scheme work.

Ideally a forged anchor would be the way to go, but I suspect that cost would be prohibitive. I believe that Simon's IC Anchor is the best design that I've seen for a non-forged anchor. If supply of the IC Anchor has become an issue it can be sorted. It's doesn't involve any complicated engineering processes. It is probably the most cost effective to manufacture also.