experiences underground

benmoule101

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me about their experiences underground? I have only been a few times and never been alone or deep underground. I was wondering what it sounded like and felt like, and what visual/auditory exeriences you have of total darkness or total silence (if it is totally silent). I know it's probably an odd question but i'd very much like to hear from people with far more experience than me.

Thank you

Ben

JasonC

Hi Ben
There are loads of stories of people's experiences in the Trip Reports section of this forum - they vary greatly in length, type of cave, quality of writing etc etc, should be something there for your tastes.

If you want to have your spine tingled and your awe struck, you could try here: http://simonbeck.blogspot.co.uk/ - but don't let it put you off caving with lesser mortals!

Leclused

When sleeping in our underground camp at -600m we always leave a candle burning. This to avoid waking up in total darkness. :)

royfellows

I seldom go underground in company and am quite well known as a solo mine explorer. This includes a lot of work projects, both digging and other. I fitted solars and fixed ladders to an 50 foot shaft in mid Wales working on my own which included dragging larch stemples through the workings to my workplace.

The longest I have been underground was 10.5 hours in a wetsuit when I was working on re accessing Caplecleugh High level at Nenthead Cumbria.

I have had experiences good, bad and funny, although it wasn't funny at the time. The best has been the rediscovery being the culmination of a successful digging project, the bad, well, drowned, gassed, half buried alive and SRT 'issues'

Well, an experience.
Don't anyone on here who is into mines even think about the manway shaft at Esgair Fraith in mid Wales. Its a small open shaft next to the run in engine shaft amongst the trees.
A rather neat little hole which is drystone ginged was rigged for SRT and I duly descended. About 20 to 30 feet down the ginging ended and was seen to be supported on massive timbers mounted on iron pegs, not unusual. But these timbers were absolutely as rotten as a pear, I could push my fingers right into them. Below the shaft cut a stope which haded away on one side, so if I had continued my rope would have been on a cant, nothing to rebelay to as the ginging was proud of the sides. I had to do a hanging change over and get out of Dodge.

You maybe stay with natural caves.
:LOL:

CatM

Leclused said:
When sleeping in our underground camp at -600m we always leave a candle burning. This to avoid waking up in total darkness. :)
I prefer not to have a candle lit when sleeping underground. The camping I've done underground in Mulu in total darkness was some of the best nights' sleep I've ever had!

I've had weird auditory experiences, especially in wet caves. Running/dripping water can often sound eerily like voices...

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

PeteHall

CatM said:
I've had weird auditory experiences, especially in wet caves. Running/dripping water can often sound eerily like voices...

I remember a trip into a little mine in Teesdale, I'd managed to leave my wellies in the car, so went in wearing my sandles. The mud squelching between the toes was quite off-putting to start with, but as I got further in that was the least of my worries. As I waded through deep water, the echoes sounded just like someone following me. When I stopped, a few seconds later the noise stopped.

I often spend time alone underground and am no stranger to the souund of chattering water, but this was a totally different experience and was really spooky, so much so, that I had to cut my trip short!

I've never experienced anything like that before or since and it still gives me goose bumps thinking about it 10 years later!

CatM

Back to the total darkness thing... If I'm ahead on a trip and waiting for others in the group to catch up I really like sitting in the dark. I find it amazing how much you can then make out even from the faintest flicker of light in the distance, and I love watching how the shadows move and change and the passage gradually takes shape as the person/light comes closer.

Leclused

CatM said:
Back to the total darkness thing... If I'm ahead on a trip and waiting for others in the group to catch up I really like sitting in the dark. I find it amazing how much you can then make out even from the faintest flicker of light in the distance, and I love watching how the shadows move and change and the passage gradually takes shape as the person/light comes closer.

Same here :)

What I used to do from time to time with groups was switching of all lights at a certain point on the way back and then asked them to leave the cave in total darkness. It was only the last 50m or so in a horizontal cave so no problem at all. And one of the leaders stayed behind.

You got a mixture of reactions then. The persons who didn't want to do that had to wait in darkness until one the ones who did came back after exiting the cave in darkness to "rescue" them with lights :)

royfellows

CatM said:

Yes, I feel the same way. On occasions when I have been with a group I have done this. Its also very educational regarding underground photography and way that light 'works'.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Am sure it was in/near carrot passage in Kingsdale, lying in a tube like part of the cave waiting for others when I heard a deep thumping beat - couldn't work out what the heck it was and was fair spooked by it - until I realised it was my heart beat......

Leclused

Pegasus said:
Am sure it was in/near carrot passage in Kingsdale, lying in a tube like part of the cave waiting for others when I heard a deep thumping beat - couldn't work out what the heck it was and was fair spooked by it - until I realised it was my heart beat......

It's getting weird when people behind you start hearing your heart beat:)

Experienced it once when I was digging in a small tube and my partner who was behind me asked me to be quiet because he heard a strange noise .... the sound of my heart beat was transported by the rock wall ;)

robjones

Spooky, magical ans scary have been done sop I'll pick up the baton with revolting ...  ;)  :spank:

Drop enough shafts and you'll encounter some with dead sheep at the bottom. I recall one filled with sheep - the heat from their decomposing was tropical and the stench was epic ... trying to do an SRT changeover without breathing ...  :thumbsdown:

A friend had the ultimate dead sheep tale: plentiful sheep had rolled from the shaft into the unexplored passage leading off from the bottom, almost filling it to the roof ... "It was a tight crawl", he reminisced, "but the writhing of the maggots carried me along..."  :blink:

Fulk

I'm not quite sure if this counts as an 'underground experience' as envisaged by the OP, but ? talking of dead sheep ? we once found a live sheep that seemed to be perfectly healthy and not badly hurt at the bottom of the first pitch in Sell Gill Holes. We had a lot of trouble rounding it up, as when we approached it it tended to slope off towards the second pitch; eventually someone got on the far side of it and we secured it in a make-shift harness cobbled together with tape and krabs, and hauled it out of the hole.

When we released it, the dopy thing walked the wrong way ? straight back down the hole, and topped itself.

Dickie

Camping at the bottom of the 1000' entrance shaft to the Nare in Papua New Guinea. At night, it was pitch back all around until you looked up and saw this grey circle with stars in it.
Now that was a bit special.

Duncan S

Caving expedition last year, I undertook a solo trip down to the underground camp to meet others. 400m of vertical caving is a long way when on your own.
There is a pitch called The Monster, a 100m high rift with just a small ledge about 1/3 way down. On my previous visits it was eerily quiet, but on this solo trip stormy weather had activated the stream and the acoustics made it sound like an angry growl.
Because the noise was new to me, and it didn't sound like anything I'd usually hear in a cave, it properly made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Took me several minutes to regain my composure.

Oh... And echo an earlier poster about sleeping in underground camp with no lights - wonderful sleep quality despite the stream occasionally sounding like voices. Slightly disorientating when turning/waking, but not a problem.

royfellows

robjones said:
Drop enough shafts and you'll encounter some with dead sheep at the bottom. I recall one filled with sheep - the heat from their decomposing was tropical and the stench was epic ... trying to do an SRT changeover without breathing ...  :thumbsdown:

:blink:

Done it at place in the Lakes, its unbelievable.
I wonder on the chances of passing out while hanging there

Leclused

Duncan S said:
Slightly disorientating when turning/waking, but not a problem.

That's why we leave a candle buring in the camp :) We sleep in shelters (tents) underground so the light is really faint. The candle is standing a few meters away from the shelters in the cooking area. It's just enough to not get disoriented when waking up. The reason why we use shelters is that the airtemp is around 3-4?C so keeping a bit of the warmth in the shelter makes a difference of a few degrees.

Btw

We also have a pitch called the monster in the Anialarra system. This monster is 259m deep :).

http://www.scavalon.be/avalonuk/psm/an506.htm
survey : http://www.scavalon.be/avalonuk/psm/an506top.htm

robjones

Caving on the Continent for the first time and soon realising that many, many European caves are larger in scale in every way than 'average' UK caves - longer, deeper, larger and more abundant formations, larger passages, harder... Definately harder ...

A 'quick evening trip' down a cave in the French Jura turned into a midnight epic of poorly understood French guidebook directions that seemed to omit numerous committing climbs and short pitches - presumably they were too routine to mention ... Enormous relief when we ultimately emerged from the through-trip but wonderful memories of splendid cave - and henceforth much greater care in translating guidebooks and a better appreciation of the scale and commitment needed.

Once you've gained reasonable UK caving experience, its definitely worth broadening it through foreign caving holidays.  :beer:

wormster

A wee thing from back in 2011:

YES I KNOW it was foolish to only go as a pair, LESSON LEARNED

We were without our regular caving partner ***** as he was off ?doing other things? on this particular Wednesday, so it was just the 2 of us (**** and myself) ? we had many plans in place, depending on just who turned up at the Belfry, but by 7pm it was still just the 2 of us, so we decided to venture into Swildons and have a go at the short round trip. I knew the route pretty well (but not well enough as events will tell).

We arrived at Priddy Green and rapidly kitted up, leaving a call out with my beloved down on the Isle of Wight. A.N. Other body turned up from S.B.S.S.  he asked us where we were going to which we replied ?A Scrot about!? and duly set off across the fields.

Entering the cave was as usual, uneventful, as the water levels were particularly low. We rapidly made our way to the 20? and set about rigging the ladder and descending. Continuing down the stream way, I found the turn off to the Short round trip (Tratman?s Temple). We burrowed our way through the mud sump ? about 6 inches of water (I did explain to **** how it?s not possible to back bail because of the nature of the cave) we meandered around finding the Double Troubles (no need to bail or set the siphons).

Its surprising that considering you?re away from the main stream way just how cold one can get passing the Double troubles, **** and I have differing methods of passing water obstacles and I must grudgingly admit that his ?laying flat on your back? method is far more superior than my ?scrabble through on my belly? one!

Passing the double troubles we made our way to Birthday squeeze (best attempted on your back with helmet off) and shuffled through that, **** managed it with a good deal of huffing, puffing and a fair bit of cussing!

Some how at this point I got a bit stymied on the route and ended up towards Vicarage passage, We came to Vicarage pot, and I decided that this was obviously not the way on, I?d spotted a hole in the floor that looked as if it went down to the landing a little way back from Vicarage pot, and, as time was inexorably ticking away towards pub time we decided to use it to gain the Landing and stream way in Swildons 2.

I began to carefully descend said pot and was doing ok for the first few meters, gently easing my way down, with my back pressed against the wall and my feet and arms moving slowly, when all of a sudden Isaac Newton?s laws of gravity took a hold, net result I landed on the Landing with a crunch, ?OH bugger, that?s broken my collarbone!? (I?m understating the pain and language used here), I sort of half slithered/fell into the stream way and took a few seconds to realise just where I was. **** meanwhile had seen my fall and had gingerly followed me onto the landing.

Realising that we were now in a rescue situation we made a decision to get as far out of the cave as possible, I got **** to re rig my belt as a makeshift strap around my collarbone. Pain and adrenalin took over as we made our way upstream to sump 1. I had to get **** to push my legs as I went through sump 1 and again he was a tower of strength aiding me over the rocks as we slowly made our way out of the cave.

Having gained Swildons 1 I knew what lay ahead in terms of obstacles and was thinking to myself ?Right, if we get above Tratman?s MRO won?t have to search the short round!? ? well we achieved that aim and came to rest at the Inclined Rift. I parked myself out of the water and took off my elbow pads to sit on to insulate my bum and put on my hood to keep my inner core temperature up and stave off hypothermia. We did discuss the possibility of **** returning to surface to raise the alarm, but, as **** said, ?I never bug out on my wingman!? so he stayed put.

I?d expected lights to appear from in front of us (the arrival of rescue!) but we were both surprised to see lights coming from behind us, a party of 3 (SBSS) had also been on the short round, they stopped and we explained our situation, they then headed out to raise the alarm as well (by this time we were way beyond call out, and were hoping that best beloved had done the right thing, apparently she thought we were in the pub enjoying a post caving pint), a second party of SBSS then appeared from behind us and stopped, fortunately one of the members of this party is a paramedic and had some basic 1st aid kit, namely painkillers and a space blanket. Dosed up with painkillers and wrapped in a space blanket we 5 sat and waited for the now inevitable rescue to arrive.

Lights appeared at the top of Barnes loop, Whoop! the cavalry, in the form of Mark Helmore, Rich Marlowe and Sarah Payne, closely followed by Darny and Bob Clay. Rich gave me a quick once over whilst Darny and Sarah got the Heyphone set up. There was talk of what the 1st aid kits used to contain, as by this point both **** and I were gasping for a fag (no longer in the first aid kit! -along with the medicinal brandy!) ? Darny made some quip about ?How?s about each time you want a fag, I smack you in the face.? To which my reply was ?Ok then, I?ll wait until we?re out!? having ascertained the extent of my injuries and what pain relief had already been administered Rich, the team and myself decided that the stretcher was not an option ?You?re not a time critical injury? seems to stick in my mind, Some Morphine was administered to me and my now useless arm was immobilised in a sling and we waited for that to take effect.

Caving on a cloud of morphine is wonderful, it takes away the pain, whilst leaving one with faculties enough to deal with the rest of the cave, I was put on a ?donkey dick? rope and with assistance all round got up the stal boss and through Barnes loop, actually the climb back into the stream way was relatively (or so it seemed to me by my now fuzzy mind) straight forward, a step here a hand there and down we go. Next a quick traverse round the double pots (I normally wade into the pots and climb straight up) and onto the twenty. At this point the full body harness was made available and with a few strong bods (cheers Stu and Mark) I flew up and was quickly out of the harness and onto the 8-foot waterfall, a few tugs and heaves and that was dealt with, before long we arrived at the penultimate obstacle ? Jacobs Ladder, again soon disposed of and only the entrance to deal with. Normally I enter and exit the cave via the little rift to the right hand side of the entrance, but this time I went under that huge slab of hanging doom above the new hole in the floor that takes all the water.

We then trudged our way back across the fields to Priddy Green, Rescue control, and for some at least, hot drinks and biscuits courtesy of the Pewers, I got a slurp of much welcome coffee, but alas no more ?Oy, no more for you!? and cadged a fag off one of the rescue team, that was well earned, thanks young lad. By now the rest of the rescue team were emerging and depositing all the kit that had been taken over to aid me out (fortunately the ?Little Dragon? and dreaded stretcher had not been used) and the troops made their weary ways home leaving me with Rich and Ali Moody to await the arrival of the ambulance.

The ambulance had been delayed on another call and when it did turn up the crew were a little incredulous as to the events that had led them to Priddy Green in the early hours of the morning, even more so when I began to strip out of my caving grots, ?Ere fellah, grab that sleeve and give it a tug will you?? even stopping to towel my feet off and change into civilised dry clothes, as Rich did his casualty hand over. Another dose of Morphine and a quick discussion about the best way to get to Weston General ?Its your call Bath or Weston.?, ?Well we?re pointing to Weston, Down the Gorge and I expect your sat nag will take you the rest of the way!? and off we went.

My heart felt thanks to all who came to my rescue, there WILL be beer for all involved when I see you at the Hunters! I?ll close just there and not bore you all with what went on in the Casualty department.

Net result and lessons learned:

One broken right collarbone and no caving for a while.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Only your true friends will help you out of the shit and will mercilessly take the piss whilst so doing.

ALWAYS leave a call out.