what is a caver

cavemanmike

i was caving with someone a while ago and i happened to mention that i don't really consider myself a caver, although i have caved almost every week sometimes twice a week for the last 15 years "ish" and have also caved far more that the other caver.
well he hit the bloody roof with me, because he considered himself a well travelled "caver".
now i didn't mean to offend him (but he took it that way) but because i also climb and do other bits and bobs
i just said to him  just consider myself to be someone who caves.just like i consider myself to be someone who climbs.
now i know a lot of people were caving is there life and they live and breath it, now i consider them cavers.

so i'm asking "what is a caver".
is it
someone who caves a lot
someone who lives and breaths it
or is it simply anyone who thinks they are a caver.

thought please

mch

"Being a caver" is whatever the individual thinks it is. All views are equally valid - there's no right or wrong.

Madness

I agree with MCH. It's down to the individual.

Me. I'm a bit of a caver, a bit of a climber, a bit of a walker, not much of a mountain biker.

NewStuff

Although I do go  in caves (If I'm really bored  :tease: ), I'm primarily a mine explorer. Anyone who is not a mine explorer or a caver, thinks I'm a caver, potholer or "spelunker" :chair:

Madness

cavemanmike said:
droid said:
This is like the 'what is a biker' in the motorcycle world.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Ok I'm intrigued, what make a biker in the "biker world"

Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a biker too!

At the end of the day you can call yourself whatever you like, but you can guarantee that someone, somewhere will disagree with you.

AliRoll

To me a caver is anyone that enjoys the experiences that caves have to offer, its a mindset. you don't have to go caving every week, you don't need to be in a club or even know much about the caves, you just have to enjoy the experience and want to go back and do it again  ;)

Mark Wright

When I'm having a pint on the piste I'm a boarder
When I'm having a pint in the Cheshire Cheese in Castleton I'm a caver
When I'm having a pint in Matlock I'm a fair weather biker
When I'm having a pint in Annecy I'm a paraglider pilot
When I'm having a pint in Fagans in Sheffield I'm a traditional unaccompanied folk singer.

AliRoll said:
To me a caver is anyone that enjoys the experiences that caves have to offer, its a mindset. you don't have to go caving every week, you don't need to be in a club or even know much about the caves, you just have to enjoy the experience and want to go back and do it again  ;)

I like AliRoll's definition as all my pastimes fit.

Mark

mikem

ch911003.gif

earthlight

Simon Beck said:
I refused to utter the claim till I'd done Dowbergill at the very least...

Thus making me a caver despite only doing a couple of trips in 20 odd years... I'd suggest a degree of regularity in addition to noted systems

caving_fox

Definitely the mindset of someone who wants to go back and experience again. The sor tof person who when out walking/biking/shopping/drinking and spots a slight void, wonders 'does it go'. Hardcore cavers will have a torch on them and find out.

mikem

Doesn't the fact that you're a member of this forum mean you're a caver?!? (or a troll  :chair: )

Mike

mikem

Who carries two spare lights, plus batteries - I suppose it is an American caver...

Mike