Carrying a Bosch GBH 18 V-Li

pete_the_caver

Does anyone have a Bosch 18 V-Li (see picture) and if so, how do you protect it underground especially if needs to go through sumps?  It should fit in a 10 litre Daren drum(?) and if so, does anyone know of a cheep source of these?
1a81ef3abff5afd7fb327ddba06bac1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benfool

That's pretty serious then - a Daren drum is unlikely to survive at -25m. You've got a better chance with a Peli, but still its pushing it.

You have a couple of options. A rubber innertube pig would probably survive -25m, but you'd need to be very careful with how you seal it. Worth putting the drill inside a couple of drybags first, then but the whole thing in the pig.Otherwise some kind of drybag with a drysuit zip and a drysuit inflator to equalize - talk to JJ at Otter, he'd probably sort you out.

Also are you using a drysuit or wetsuit? I've got drills through sumps a few times by putting it inside my drysuit. Its a bit uncomfortable, but it works well!

HOpe that helps!

B

Mark Wright

When cordless drills first came out back in the 1980's we got Northern Diver to make up some bespoke neoprene bags with waterproof crotch zips and kevlar re-inforcing stuck to the neoprene. We didn't have a need to go quite so deep but having an inflator as Benfool suggests should certainly work.

Mark

I wonder if you added an ADV of a rebreather and an OPV, stuck a little bottle on the bag - could you create a self equalising waterproof bag for this sort of thing.

I have no experience in this, the most important thing I have ever had to get through a sump was a mars bar. And I fecked that up as I left in the Wookey car park.

maxf

You could get a very small dry tube made, when I mean small I mean in length compared to a normal sized one. 300mm diamater, just enough length to fit the drill inside. It would be more of a dry disk than a tube...

Mark Wright

MJenkinson said:
I wonder if you added an ADV of a rebreather and an OPV, stuck a little bottle on the bag - could you create a self equalising waterproof bag for this sort of thing.

I have no experience in this, the most important thing I have ever had to get through a sump was a mars bar. And I fecked that up as I left in the Wookey car park.

I remember somebody taking an unprotected Mars bar through Ink Sump in Peak Cavern and it imploded at the far end at about -7m.

For pressurising the dry bag I was thinking more along the lines of an inner tube valve and a small bike pump. There are enough hoses to get tangled and caught up as it is.

Mark