Bast bit of kit that doubles as a bottle opener?

Antwan

Just as I have cracked open a bottle using a 7mm maillion I get an email advertising an 'Amazing' product, ?15 for a keyring bottle opener...

I wont be buying one, but curious what other bits of caving gear folk have used to good (or bad) effect to open important beverage containers?

mikem

The Italians used their bolting drill to open a bottle of wine.

Stop works pretty well for caps.

Please don't use another bottle . . . I sliced a tendon doing that some 40 years ago, and the damage was permanent!  Even worse, some beer got spilled.

Graigwen

More than half a century ago I used a Stubai piton and rock to open a can, before ring pulls were introduced.

Antwan

Graigwen said:
More than half a century ago I used a Stubai piton and rock to open a can, before ring pulls were introduced.

I have a stubai peg hammer in my shed from around the 70's

Alex

Too small! I need a machete sized knife so I don't loose the bugger. I just lost another one in Jean yesterday, if someone fancies a knife. Why can't they make pockets that don't bloody open in crawls!

Joe.Bones

The top hole of an old Croll! Fairly ergonomic too, if a bit on the large size.
Yet to test the bottle opening capabilities of the new smaller Croll, which once you've turned the wear protector into a knife then has the two most used parts of any multitool!

adam

The bottle on bottle technique can also be hazardous if the beer is pressurised. Nearly took me eye out :eek: