Replacing Li-ion cells in drill battery

Pete K

Hi brain trust!
One of my Bosch 18v Li-ion batteries stopped working suddenly this week. After attempting to charge it and not seeing any signs of life in the battery gauge I thought I'd pop it apart and see if there was a bad connection somewhere. There was a little bit more of an issue than that sadly.
So my questions is, does anyone know if this can be repaired and is there anyone out there who can do it? I understand the problems with tagging/soldering to Li-ion cells and not making a hand grenade, won't be attempting the work myself, just want to know if it's a fixer or a recycler.
Ta

Attachments

• Mini battery pic.jpg
    Mini battery pic.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 248

cooleycr

Probably caused by trying to slice down a section of steel instead of across it  :-\  ;)

Looks like a failed cell to me, signs of corrosion, as you say, 'regular' soldering irons don't get hot enough - maybe Roy Fellows can advize?

Pete K

Yes, poor technique to blame perhaps for over stressing it! Melted the inside of the plastic case slightly.
Replacement battery arrives by courier today anyway so back up to 6 again for those 'little' jobs on hillsides.
BTW, more than happy to pay for any work done. I suspect it's a case of recycle though.

Benfool

Hi Pete

I've soldered plenty of Lithium cells and repaired batteries in the past (I work for Scurion) so I'm happy to do this for you.

Only issue is that the cells will probably cost about ?40 and theres a chance you've blown the electronics. If this is true then I'm sure I can find a use for the cells somewhere as you'd have no use for them.

If you'd like me to do it send me an email at ben.t.wright(at)gmail.com to arrange.

B

Pete K

Hmmm. Thanks for the offer Ben but with the exchange rate, not as cheap an option as I might have thought. I've just had a 5Ah battery delivered next day for ?62 so will just put the money into another one of them and recycle this one.
Thanks for the replies guys, even the ones mocking my skill with a grinder. I have already purchased slimmer disks for the next lid.

Free to a good home - 1 x cooked 18v Li-ion Bosch battery. Collection only from Derbyshire.

Pete K

Maybe. The protection circuit is apparently on the tool body, not the battery packs so I don't know how useful unprotected cells are.