Ferry to Spain (northern)

Speleotron

What ferry do people use for getting to northern spain and how much is an average price for it? I've looked at Plymouth to Santander in September with a car and it seems to be about ?700 for 2 of us, which is a lot, what do the people who go there on expo do?

Cheers

ianball11

It's a fair trek from Plymouth to Santander, about 475 miles further than Dover to Calais, so I would say that is a very fair price.  If price is the main factor though, Dover Calais is always cheaper.

adam

You have a fair chance of seeing whales on the longer ferry crossing, but then you miss out on La campagne fran?aise, so... swings and roundabouts

martinb

If you want to use Brittany Ferries, PM me and I'll give you a code for up to 10% off.  (y) The discount varies on time of year, ship, route, cabin, etc, but worth a pop.

I'm away at my place in France at the mo, can't remember if its valid on their economie service, but certainly the 'normal' ferries - and Cap Finistere is a very nice ship.

It is pricey, but if you factor in driving thru France, tolls, overnight stays, wear and tear on car and the driver, etc, etc, it is reasonable - and like another poster says, you get a chance to see whales.

Mark Wright

I've been to Matienzo on a number of occasions over the years and used all 3 methods of getting there, i.e.  Plymouth/Portsmouth to Santander Ferry, Fly to Bilbao and Car Hire and driving down through France.

Cost wise, there really isn't that much in it. Driving to Dover is about the same as driving to Portsmouth or Plymouth but its another 700 mile drive once you get to Calais. That's a long drive, especially if there are only two of you to share it and the cost of tolls needs to be included. There's also a lot of unnecessary CO2 emissions. I usually stay at an Ibis Budget on the way to the Alps so you need to factor this in unless you drive non-stop or camp in a motorway Aire. 

Flying and hiring a car is a good option for getting there quickly but you will obviously be limited in what you can take with you. Car hire can be quite expensive for younger drivers.

If you managed to get a good nights sleep on the ferry, when you get off in Santander you will be fresh as a daisy and less than an hour from Bar Herman.

I think ?700.00 for a car and 2 people is a pretty good price.

Mark   

droid

Vaguely remembering the sort of prices we were charged in the mid 80's with YUCPC, seems pretty reasonable to me.

We did have a LWD landrover though.....

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Another option is a ferry from Portsmouth to Caen or St Malo.  If you have already had a long drive from 'up north' these ferries can be timed to travel overnight and get a good sleep.  Disembarking around 7am, it is then a refreshed drive down to northern Spain arriving late afternoon early evening depending on where you are going.

TLH

I've booked two trips this year to Matienzo, having just returned from the first. Late July, to return mid August is setting me back just shy of ?450 travelling Portsmouth - Caen / Bilbao - Portsmouth. That is for a campervan and a 4 bed cabin both ways.
For me this is the best solution as I am under 25 and so get charged stupid prices for hire cars (plus I hate airports). The Dover calais ferry is just grim and from Manchester area I seem to remember it being nearly 1500 miles / a long way.
If not driving, you can get an coach I believe, from Santander to Paris,  where you could then Eurostar back to UK - depends how much faff you can actually be bothered with.

Tom.

Speleotron

Thanks everyone, think I'll give spain a miss as it's out of budget. Me and one other driver went from Leeds to Norway non-stop (apart from Dover-Calais and petrol stops) and that was grim! With the other half this time though so she won't put up with grimness :p

Thanks for your advice though, I'm sure the price is actually fair I was just checking to see if the expo people had some clever trick or knew a cheaper arrangement.

Amy

My understanding is the ferry is extra expensive at the moment, and has been, for a few months. This is why I am not going to Matienzo in July because my friends in Plymouth who I was going with can't do the ferry at this cost. Earlier in year is cheaper, and booking more in advance is cheaper, and it is just more costly this year, is my understanding of the combo of issues. It sounds like for two of them plus vehicle it was more like 350-400 in years past, they had quite sticker shock in trying to plan something.

SamT

Amata said:
My understanding is the ferry is extra expensive at the moment

^^ - This!

We've just looked at summer holiday ferries - Portsmouth > Santander Return (Mondeo estate with 2 adult 2 kids) and it was going to be about ?1400 return.  :eek:

Looks like we're going to France again!

Speleotron

All ferries seem expensiveat the moment apart from Dover to Calais. Holyhed to Dublin in September, 1 car 2 people is about ?350 return! Which is odd because its the same distance as Dover-Calais which I did last summer for ?80 (car + 2 people).

SamT

We are leading parallel lives !!

Just booked holyhead to dublin return for May half term a few days ago.  Was going to be ?550 (eeek) but realised you could use tesco vouchers with Irish Ferries and triple your money.  This annoyingly knocks out the fast ferry at the decent times, so in the end it cost me ?150 in vouchers for ?450 worth of ferry tickets (albeit not quite at the most convenient times).

martinb

Just thought I would throw this open to anyone wishing to use Brittany Ferries at any time.

I use BF a lot and have a Travel Club pass, if you use the code for your own travel, there are savings of up to 10% dependant on route, time of year, slow or fast ferry, -special conditions for the economie ships.

If you enter F85969 when prompted for travel club, then 'friend of the member', and your surname, see what it saves you.

You don't have to let me know, just do it!  ;)