Equipment Certification (Newbie quaestion)

Have recently bought some shock absorbing cowstails attachment links directly from Repetto in Italy (see link)
[http://repettosport.com/en/dissipatori-di-energia/1546-repetto-fallet.html]
Have note that they have no certification, load capacity or traceability references on them unlike every other load bearing item that I have.  Is this normal please?

Mark Wright

There have been a few discussions on here about non certified equipment or, as in this case, where there are no markings at all on the product, purchased from unknown suppliers on the internet. Repetto are just an online shop and probably have no clue about what they sell.

The below link shows how the rope should be configured through the device confirming the large ring is safety critical.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJxPGui7bUAhULKlAKHeiJAoAQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Frepettosport.com%2Fit%2Flonges-pedali%2F1983-repetto-longe-doppia-0-10-regolabile.html&psig=AFQjCNFW0aH73UZQKkQm599l4pnSRu8AfQ&ust=1497280651371495

If you purchased, e.g. a safety critical attachment ring from a reputable manufacturer you would usually expect to see a CE mark, a maximum working or breaking load, a unique manufacturing number and, if it conformed to something, it's EN number.

As far as this product is concerned, which is merely a component in an energy absorbing lanyard system, the only way it could conform to anything is if it was sold as a complete system and should be tested to the newer edition EN958:2017 standard. The EN958 standard mentioned in Bob's UIAA document is the 2010 version. EN354 relates only to the textile lanyard element of the system.   

I notice the cheeper Dissipator device by the well known equipment manufacturer Kong, on the same online shop, does have the manufacturers name, different rope diameter configuration and a unique number on one side of the device on the photographs but it doesn't show the other side of the device in any of the photographs.

If there are no markings on it all then I personally would just use it as a novelty bottle opener. You never know, it might be perfectly OK, but then again, it might not.

To be honest, if all you want to use it for is as a caving cow's tail with minimal fall distances and low fall factors you would probably get better energy absorption from a traditional knotted cow's tail configuration, with scaffold knots on the leg ends and a simple overhand, figure 8 or alpine butterfly to attach it to the main harness system.

These devices are designed for large distance falls and fall factors and usually require you to apply a force of approx. 1.2kN to start the slippage. You shouldn't use this type of lanyard system with both of the legs attached to, e.g. a traverse line, except when passing an obstacle. If a fall took place during this operation it is likely the only energy absorption would be from the termination knots, which would be worse than falling onto a knotted cow's tail.

i only ever commit my life to certified equipment from well known, reputable manufacturers. For me, this device does not meet that criteria. 

Mark