Petzl Pixa 3 Opinions

StuckInaCave

Hey UKCaving, thanks for accepting the membership of a lowly caver like myself.

Thanks to some stupidity that need not be mentioned, I am in need of a new head lamp. I previously had a Petzl Pixa 1 and was quite happy with it, but the price has dropped quite a bit since I got mine so I think it may as well be time to upgrade. Naturally, I thought the best choice would be the Pixa 3. It is a little more than I was hoping to pay this time, but it seems to be worth the money from some reviews I read already. Looking to see if anyone has one of these and can shed some light (see what I did there?) on the situation and tell me the pros, cons etc. If anyone knows of somewhere taht has these a little cheaper than normal that would be great too, cheers mates :D

petzl-pixa-3-PZ-E78CHB-2-02.jpg

It does look pretty killer as well :)

pwhole

I use one of these for work as they're ATEX-rated, but I find them a bit weedy on the output, and normal batteries seem to run out awfully fast. The rechargeable one was double the price, so didn't seem that much of a saving really. I too would recommend the Fenix HL55 for a solid caving light at a good price. You'll have to buy the battery separately at about ?18, but it's still very good value as the output is very bright indeed, especially on the 'Turbo' setting.

David Rose

Battery life is rubbish. I was using on just for pottering about at an underground camp last week in chilly temperatures and it needed a battery change after about three hours of use. The output is nowhere near as good as modern caving lamps. I would bite the bullet and spend a bit more.

Ship-badger

My experience of the Pixa lamps with groups is at odds with Pete K's. I have several with switch failure, and the battery life is exactly as David Rose has said, rubbish. Don't buy the Pixa.

Maj

I have a Pixa 3 and I use it quite a lot, but not as my main caving lamp. Despite being a tad bulky I wear it around my neck as a back up. The lamp body swivels round such that the lenses are against the back plate offering them protection, also in this position the switch/knob is locked so can't be inadvertently switched on. I also use it as an every day torch since it's always to hand. I use eneloop rechargeables from my short spell with the Petzl Duo (now my bike light). As others have said, the batteries don't last long.

Main caving lamp - Another thumbs up for the Fenix HL55.
Light weight, seems very robust, compact, good battery duration, very good light output.
I have two batteries so only charge them when needed, swapping them underground when required (easy enough to do without removing helmet. Care required not to tip head wrong way and let battery slip out into a puddle of water). The spare is carried in breast pocket in a watertight container (very short length of 22mm plastic pipe + two pushfit blanking caps).
Two options for the HL55 - rear mounted battery pack or integral with the lamp. I went for integral since there is no cable to get damaged and reduces potential water ingress points. The down side is you don't get the balance weight of the battery on the back of the helmet.
The new Fenix lamps have a micro usb charging socket under a rubber cap on the end on the lamp - Hmm! not convinced that's a good idea (just my personal view), strikes me as the first element that's likely to fail. But it does mean you can just plug in to charge without removing the battery so perhaps will save wear & tear on the battery cap "O" ring - Nope still not convinced and a spare "O" ring included with new lamp anyway.

Maj.

Attachments

• IMAG2000.jpg
    IMAG2000.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 143

aricooperdavis

We use them as club lights and they've been great, pretty much bomb proof and perfectly adequate. Wouldn't cave with them myself if I could help it as they don't give out a great amount of light for long, and the spread isn't great, but for club/rental lights they're brilliant.

Fulk

Another vote for the Fenix; pwhole says that batteries are extra, but my recollection is that one 18650 is included in the price. You will, however, have to pay for a charger.

Maj

My recollection is that no battery inc in price, both charger & battery extra. But I'm sure whichever, it will become clear when looking at options.

Still a good lamp for the money.

Maj.

Ian Ball

https://starlessriver.com/shop/caving_lights_spares_batteries/fenix_hl55

seems popular elsewhere too, only uses Lithium cells.

If you are caving alone or in small caves then big lumens is not really worth a lot imho,  caving with big lumen wearers means I struggle on a small lamp, but on my own it's fine and big chambers I don't encounter often, duration is more important to me.

Canary

I think the HL55 is very good/excellent for the price. The only downside is that the beam is relatively spotty. I don't know how this compares to the Pixa 3 as i have never used one.

Fulk

The only downside is that the beam is relatively spotty.

Well, I suppose it depends what you mean by 'spotty', and what you like and what you're used to, but I wouldn't describe the HL55's beam as 'spotty'. The Pixa has three settings ? diffuse / combined diffuse?beam / and beam, and to my eye the Pixa's beam is more 'spotty' that that of the HL55.

phizz4

Another vote for Fenix HL55. Compared to a Pixa I find the beam to be more than wide enough and bright enough for my caving. We too have had issues with failed switches on Pixa 2's and 3's that we have for group use.

pwhole

If you're in a large tunnel, the projection angle of the HL55 will definitely show as a spot, as your eyes have a wider angle of view, but in most caving situations you won't notice it. I've been spoiled with a Stenlight, which has no visible edge to the beam at all, but that's a lot more money. But I always have the HL55 round my neck now as a backup and some 'extra' when I need it.

StuckInaCave

I had no clue that the battery life on these is so bad. Still thinking about having one as the seem to be good lights still, but I am also taking a better look at Fenix. Cheers everyone.

glyders

We use them for groups. Not had any problems so far. Not yet noticed any battery life issues, but we use them for sub-5hr trips.

Mr Mike

I've had a HL55 for around 3 years now, used for camping,  my daugther uses it for mining, night time biking. Great lamp - coupled with a 3.4AHr battery, you can get a good life out of it. Recommend it for sure.