Quick question about BCRA "Caves & Caving"

Pitlamp

Please could someone just confirm what the issue number was of the last edition of Caves & Caving to be produced?

(Have tried looking on BCRA's website but couldn't immediately find this information.)

Thanks, in anticipation that someone can help.

Jenny P

It is the very last edition of "Caves and Caving" (subtitled "Bulletin of the British Cave Research Association"), and is simply dated "2002" but doesn't give a month, so it's not clear when it was actually issued.  It is after July 2002, since it has a report of a death in Porth yr Ogof on 22 July, but before September, since it advertises Hidden Earth in Monmouth on 27-29 September 2002.

The Editorial on page 4, written by Paul Mann, states that this will be the last edition of "Caves and Caving" - however there is a note at the foot of page 5 that the next copy deadline will be 20th. December 2002!

Its place was intended to be taken by "Speleology", (also subtitled "Bulletin of the British Cave Research Association"), which began with Issue 1 in January 2003.  The subtitle changed with issue 9, April 2007, to become "The Bulletin of British Caving", however it ceased publication altogether with issue 19, December 2013 and has not been replaced.

Pitlamp

Many thanks both.

I was intrigued to note that one of the headlines is "The Science of Dowsing" (sic).

Isn't there a section within this forum for such one liners?  :-\

Pitlamp

P.S. Beardy (and / or Sam) - I have something here that you may like to have. Look out for a normal email from me shortly.

Pitlamp said:
Please could someone just confirm what the issue number was of the last edition of Caves & Caving to be produced?
(Have tried looking on BCRA's website but couldn't immediately find this information.)

http://bcra.org.uk : click on "publications", then "archive material", and "Caves & Caving".  :)

There's a note there that says "At the moment, we only have a few of the contents lists of Caves and Caving online, and nothing available for downloading. However, we have scanned all the back-issues and these will be placed on line sometime in 2016 so, if you need something, please ask us."  :-\ I clearly need to edit that to say "2017 or 2018". I wonder where I put all the scans?  But seriously:  if anyone needs a scan of anything, ask our librarian. She will then ask me where I have put all the scans.  hmmm. Id better sort this out... after Hidden Earth. Also, any back-issues that we have, of C&C are free of charge (apart from postage), if anyone wants one.