Vercors cave info

slippery_matt

I know there have been a few other threads on the Vercors recently, but there is a slightly different spin on this one...

We're going out to the Vercors before the congress (antisocial, yes, but we want to miss the crowds!), and was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I can get some good descriptions / surveys / topos etc. of the caves in the area..?

I'll be investing in Des Marshalls 'Vercors caves' book, but all the other books titles I've come across are well and truely out of print (and in French!).

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Glenn

Speleo Dans le Vercors (Tome 1 & 2) are the current guides, and are sometimes available from Inglesport. They are very accurate and reasonably up to date (although there have been several good discovories since they were printed). A quick Google search brings up several (mostly French) stores selling them. My experience of the Des Marshall book is that it contained many of the errors of the earlier version of Speleo Dans le Vercors.

Try and get hold of both tome 1 & 2 and make a wish list of caves, then try and decide if the majority of them are in the north or south of the Vercors in order to decide where you will stay. Travel between the north and south Vercors can add up to 2 hours on your trip. It's not the distance, but the nature of the roads (and amount of traffic in the summer).

Once you have your wish list, PM me and I'll see what further information I may have that I can give you (mostly of caves in the south of the Vercors).

Cheers,

Glenn
Speleo Vercors

seddon

Go for the French books, they are available via Expe (and can be purchased online and sent to you beforehand).

They're all you need; French ain't hard to understand when you read it, and they've given us half our caving words anyway! There's also a French / English speleo dictionary some where online (a kind person could link to it?) It has locations, kit lists and you can get used to the rigging style and descriptions. Also lots of lovely modern caves that Des didn't cover...everyone has a favourite.

Also happy to make suggestions if you get in touch... Although (having just seen the last posting) Glenn would do an ace job in this respect...

The address to know

www.expe.fr

and remember, you may need to buy a rubber boat!

Roperat

How'd you get on with the info Matt J? I've just found this post and am looking to head there myself this year (July). I can't seem to find the guide book via expe.fr