Near Miss / Near Hit

mrodoc

Many years ago when I edited my hang gliding clubs magazine I wrote a short series of articles on incidents I had learnt from. I was surprised to get criticised by some individuals as advocating unsafe practices!  So anything of this kind needs to be done in the spirit in which it is intended IE 'don't try this at home'.

Cookie

JAA said:
This is something the CDG have done for sometime now

Which can be accessed from the CDG website and is well worth a look. It looks very well thought out and I think a similar system for general caving would be an excellent idea.

A while back I recall having a discussion with the BCA Training Officer and others about providing the necessary IT support for such a system. The IT side is fairly easy to implement. I'm not sure how far the project has progressed - I've not been chased.  I'm happy to add the necessary reporting form to the BCA website but a volunteer is needed to design the form, curate and eventually analyze the resulting data - cos I have enough projects already.

JasonC

... and another http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=3730

With flying, reporting any incident is mandatory, and published reports are anonymised, which encourages reporting.
A voluntary system would obviously be less followed and therefore less effective, and there would have to be a balance struck between reporting only serious injuries at one extreme, and reporting every bruise carelessly garnered.

Having said that, it's a darn good idea.  The flight incident reports have the dual function of a) alerting others to possible ways of cocking up and b) giving others the chance to have a good laugh at your mistakes ;)

Cookie said:
JAA said:
This is something the CDG have done for sometime now

Which can be accessed from the CDG website and is well worth a look. It looks very well thought out and I think a similar system for general caving would be an excellent idea.

A while back I recall having a discussion with the BCA Training Officer and others about providing the necessary IT support for such a system. The IT side is fairly easy to implement. I'm not sure how far the project has progressed - I've not been chased.  I'm happy to add the necessary reporting form to the BCA website but a volunteer is needed to design the form, curate and eventually analyze the resulting data - cos I have enough projects already.

Hi,

I think I may have started that one by asking at Training Committee if there was a way of recording these as I had one whose cause I did not think possible. I was wrong!!! The committee decided that no one would use a reporting facility for fear of ridicule. I never got around to writing it up with no-where to place it.

Idris Williams

Pete K

As would I. Perhaps the ACI could take a role in this, and I'm not just talking about the professional side of things.