MELISSA MILNER

mch

Just received the sad news that Mel is no longer with us. Police broke into her flat yesterday and found her after neighbours expressed concern that she hadn't been seen for a while. Caver, DCA Conservation Officer and all-round lovely person - will miss her very much. R I P.

popeass1

A real loss to caving conservation. I didn't know Mel personally, but will miss her passion for conservation. 😔

menacer

Blimey, was just thinking the same myself yesterday...hadnt seen her here for a while. RIP :(

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Sad news indeed.  Only met her once at a C&A meeting but I know she did a lot of work for Peak District cave conservation and will be sorely missed.  RIP.

AR

I'm really saddened to hear this, I can't claim to have known Mel well but I'd worked with her on Peak conservation matters since she took on the DCA Conservation Officer role. If anyone finds out the funeral details, please post them here.

pwhole

That's a real shame. Only met Mel once, and fairly recently too, but her name is on many, many projects and discoveries. A sad loss, especially for cave conservation. RIP  :(

graham

Sad news. I never met Mel in person, but corresponded with her on a number of matters. She was clearly knowledgeable and committed to conservation. I'm sure her loss will be felt, most certainly in the Peak District.

Jenny P

I was phoned this morning by one of Mel?s friends to tell me the sad news of her death.

Mel was fanatical about cave conservation and took over as DCA?s Conservation Officer in June 2013.  Prior to that, for many years she had been closely involved in cave conservation for DCA, assisting David Webb when he was DCA Conservation Officer, and she had set up the DCA SSSI Monitoring website for us.  Her main area of practical work was in the Manifold Valley, where she worked closely with the National Trust in making safe various digs, swallets and resurgences in or near the river bed.  Here she worked incredibly hard on installing bolted down grids to safeguard the public and ensure that the cave systems were not blocked by rubbish or rocks while still maintaining access for cavers.  She also worked closely with Natural England and was convenor of DCA?s Underground Conservation Forum, pulling together cavers and various organisations with conservation interests such as the Environment Agency, National Trust, Natural England, etc.

In addition she was DCA?s Webmaster and completely revamped our website a few years ago as well as keeping it up to date with minutes, news and access information.  As many of you will know, she was also a regular correspondent on UKcaving and, through this, was well known to many cavers around the country who have a particular interest in cave conservation.

Mel will be very much missed by those who knew her and she will be a hard act to follow as DCA Conservation Officer.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Secretary

Leclused

I only knew Mel via this forum. But I think she had the same points of view as me on Conservation. And I liked the conversation with her here on the Forum very much.

She will be missed not only in the UK

Dagobert L'Ecluse
Sc Avalon (Belgium)

Mrs Trellis

Jenny P said:
Mel will be very much missed by those who knew her and she will be a hard act to follow as DCA Conservation Officer.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Secretary

Amen to that. Very sad news indeed. Condolences to all affected by her demise. RIP.

SJB

Blimey, sad and unexpected news indeed.  I have known Mel for well over 20 yrs and always found her very helpful and incredibly knowledgable, particularly of the Manifold Area.  A sad loss for Derbyshire Caving and condolences to family and friends. RIP

Condolences to her family and friends. Never met her and don't know her, but she seemed passionate about caving and specifically conservation.

Matt