Gaping Gill winch meet

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
11216710_483114371851223_5813060368234462958_n.jpg

braveduck

BPC winch only descends 320ft  ,have the CPC been digging at the bottom or do they know something we don't! :-\

Inferus

I expect inconsistency in quoted depth from the media, not notable northern caving clubs!!!  :spank:

Pitlamp

It's 98.10 m deep (give or take a few centimetres after each flood.)

I'm in that club Inferus, so your wish is granted  ;)

It would have been much neater without that extra 20ft.... :-\

20423445382_0ede606f31_b.jpg

Anyway, people are very welcome to join us.
Selected entrances will be rigged for SRT.
Competent cavers (with BCA insurance) with appropriate equipment wishing to use these entrances should enquire at the booking in tent to check details, leave call out details etc.

And it is possible to get the famed mud off....(use of Fell Beck is free)
20244037850_eb959e20e6_b.jpg

Judi Durber said:

98.10 meters = 321ft 10 inches + a dinky bit  to keep everyone in the same (correct  ;) measurement)  ;)
John, isn't it 321ft 10 inches + a dinky bit  from the ledge to the deck vertically below? However the descent is not directly vertical but strays off westward adding extra feet to the descent. :confused:

Over the Hill

"Competent cavers (with BCA insurance)"

BCA Insurance?

Do you mean competent cavers with Third Party Insurance Insurance for caving?  Some of us have this cover via other organisations.

Yes (as I posted it I thought....someone....), as you say BCA like insurance (and some will be from overseas with similar insurance).
You will be asked to confirm you have appropriate insurance and we've no wish to get involved in details.

Pitlamp

Robert Scott said:
Judi Durber said:

98.10 meters = 321ft 10 inches + a dinky bit  to keep everyone in the same (correct  ;) measurement)  ;)
John, isn't it 321ft 10 inches + a dinky bit  from the ledge to the deck vertically below? However the descent is not directly vertical but strays off westward adding extra feet to the descent. :confused:

No, we measured it vertically at 98.10 metres. (You raise a good point about a deflected descent reducing accuracy but that was taken into account by the CPC members involved.)

For most cavers' purposes, if you say GG is 98 metres deep, that's good enough.

graham

Pitlamp said:
No, we measured it vertically at 98.10 metres. (You raise a good point about a deflected descent reducing accuracy but that was taken into account by the CPC members involved.)

What you actually measured, of course, was the distance between two survey points. It's where these points are that may be of interest. If you say "98.10 m" and "vertically" you should really quote the precision to which your instruments could be read, their accuracy, and of course whether they had been calibrated.

Pitlamp said:
For most cavers' purposes, if you say GG is 98 metres deep, that's good enough.

Of course.  :) I'm willing to bet that most cavers don't measure their ropes to that degree of either accuracy or precision. It's only us pedantic surveyors who want or need to know more.

Pitlamp

Hello Graham - I agree with your thoughts above. It was measured with two 50 m non stretch fibreglass surveying tapes connected accurately together. To give further info right now I'd have to look up a publication - and I'm a bit strapped for time as I type. However, I only posted that information to satisfy Inferus that CPC members are able to measure pitches after all, not to disseminate any detailed survey information!  ;)

graham

Pitlamp said:
Hello Graham - I agree with your thoughts above. It was measured with two 50 m non stretch fibreglass surveying tapes connected accurately together. To give further info right now I'd have to look up a publication - and I'm a bit strapped for time as I type. However, I only posted that information to satisfy Inferus that CPC members are able to measure pitches after all, not to disseminate any detailed survey information!  ;)

2 x 50 m tapes, eh? Lucky it wasn't as deep as your find in t'Peak then. I know Fibron tapes are meant not to stretch under the tension that can be applied by surveyors pulling on them, but I wonder whether the weight of two of them together might have some effect. A laser DistoX would be better - except that its range is only 80 m.

Pitlamp

You're probably right again Graham. We just used what we had available and we were content that the result was at least better than what had been documented before.

Mind you, Martel's 1895 dimensions were pretty much bang on, as it turned out!