Register your lecture ONLINE for this year's Hidden Earth!

caverbabe

Hello all - I'm excited to be taking a big step forward this year in arranging the lectures for Hidden Earth.  We've added an online lecture registration form to save the hassle of emails going missing or forms getting lost.  I'm happy to send a form or a direct link if you would like, but anyone interested in providing a lecture this year can do one of the following instead:

1) Go to the HE web page, scroll down to NEWS and click the link there
or
2) Copy and past this complicated URL for online lecture registration https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1iTPISyA1SVZjxzT_ssHQ5D9LGSJhMELjcj6HqQxjUQM/viewform?c=0&w=1

You can always message or email me and I will be happy to forward the link or form which ever you prefer. 

Thanks in advance and looking forward to seeing everyone this year!

Inferus

I'm sure it's good news and all that (I won't be using it as I don't do lectures) but was it really necessary to swamp the forum with the same message in nearly every sub-forum/board???  :-\

bograt

Inferus said:
I'm sure it's good news and all that (I won't be using it as I don't do lectures) but was it really necessary to swamp the forum with the same message in nearly every sub-forum/board???  :-\

Tend to agree, a bit of overkill  :eek:

Mark Wright

caverbabe,

Don't listen to them two.

Its brilliant that you've taken on the unenviable task of organising lectures for this years Hidden Earth, you can be sure some will be disappointed when their favourite lectures clash but you can't please all the people all the time.

People use this forum in many different ways so your method of posting the information was probably the best way of making sure everybody got it. It obviously worked.

Mark 

Rhys

[gmod]22 identical posts was overkill. But no long-term harm done. Let's stay on the topic of Hidden Earth here now. Thanks[/gmod]

caverbabe

Capn Chris I was relying on you  ;)

Sorry for the multiple postings.  My intention was to post so that anyone who used the forums might see it.  Given the way I use the forums (infrequently because I generally get abuse, no matter what helpful mosts I might put up!) I only ever search on a topic.  I don't scroll through a huge feed hoping I see something of interest.  I expect others do the same, hence my concern if it didn't go directly to clubs and uni's in particular, it would be lost to most interested folks. 

I hope people DO see it now in the one place it is posted....

Send me a lecture.  You know you want to....

Roger W

I always use the "show unread posts" option when I look on the forum - it means I see anything new wherever it has been posted. 

Anyway, hope you get lots of people offering!

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
caverbabe said:
Given the way I use the forums (infrequently because I generally get abuse, no matter what helpful mosts I might put up!) I only ever search on a topic. 

Caverbabe - just want to make it absolutely clear - abuse of forum members will not be tolerated on UKC - please report any posts/private messages/e-mails/whatever you receive and it will be dealt with promptly.

The Moderation team receive very, very few complaints from forum members about other forum members (and indeed nothing in recent weeks, the atmosphere on UKC IS improving) - those we have received have been dealt with.  Please do have the confidence to post and engage on UKC, thank you, Jane Allen

PS We will also ensure cavers know what's happening re Hidden Earth - have stickied this post

caverbabe

Thank you for that Jane.  I understand some excellent changes have been made recently in the way the forums are managed, and I'm pleased that is proving successful.  My comment was based on historic use, which resulted in, sadly, my very very very infrequent usage.  I'm hoping with the new changes in place to be visiting more often!

Thanks again!

Inferus

I did resist replying for a while but I thought I should at least expand on my post.

I do hope caverbabe didn't view my post as abuse or bickering etc - I'm a long time forum user (many different forums, many different guises over the years) and posting multiple-same-messages is just seen as bad form (some would go as far as calling it spam, but I wouldn't go that far as it's relevant but perhaps a misinformed method of posting), just the way I and many others see it.

Mark Wright: yes please ignore me and Bograt and the moderators and owners and anyone else that thought the same but didn't reply... Etiquette, as above.. I don't envy the task she has and I'm sure she'll do a great job (don't know her, just assuming). This forum is a great means of communication but is not the be all and end all and doesn't need overloading with the same message (again, see above and also see further down).

Caverbabe: Your method of forum usage seems a little strange to me, but each to their own. I, like others, use unread or recent posts - I skip past things that don't interest me (or specific areas) - I'm sure I'd miss out on something if I only ever searched for specific things. I visited the forum the other day and saw nothing but the same post which was frustrating when trying to see what was going on - hence my initial post.

This forum is just one medium of getting the message across, in this day and age there's social media or emails from BCA/BCRA, or newsletters (club or regional), magazines etc.. I'm sure the message will get out  (y)

As for my comment about not doing lectures - I meant that as not presenting them as I'm as thick as pig stuff with the communication skills of a plank of wood. I do go to lectures when at HE, which unfortunately won't be this year (damn work) but looking forward to next years HE/ES!!