Dent De Crolles

E

ecowaller

Hi, Does anyone have any info on this great system? My wife and I intend to do one of the classic longer through trips this summer...any useful info would be great...How is the p40 entrance?

AndyF

P40 is very loose and despite the way the survey looks, route finding is difficult. I'd recomend Glaz-Mort or Glaz Chevalier as a first trip.

Be warned though, both of these trips rely on an situ pitch being rigged (its an "up" pitch"). You are 99.9% certain this will be the case, but if you arrive at the pitch and it has no rope you are in trouble! (Thoiough the Glaz-Mort is escapable)

The Glaz-Mort is the easier of the two, and has the best logistics (due to parking) then the Chevalier. The route back to the car from chevalier is quite hazardous.

..having worried you, the good bit is that they are both great trips. Here is the guide for you:

http://www.le-pre-des-sources.com/Chartreuse/Speleo/Speleo.pdf

Allow for a long walk in, and a long trip in total. Probably 12 hours including the walk ins. I'd suggest do the trip in two parts, on day one carry ropes and kit to the Glaz from the col. Leave it there, then walk in from the valley the next day, as that is where you need to leave your car for your exit. You will arrive then at the entrance fresh and with more energy reserves!

E

ecowaller

Cheers for that..pretty much what I had been told before (y)

damian

Nothing is particularly strenuous, it all being pretty easy & wide-open passage. Almost all the pitches are probably rigged, albeit not brilliantly!
The walk around to the Chevalier and Annette entrances is not the best ... but so long as you stay high and don't have wellies on, reasonable.
The walk up to the P40 is a killer in the heat ... an early start recommended. We didn't use the other entrance on top (the name of which escapes me) and I believe it's fairly tough.
We didn't find any route-finding problems and did most permutations of through trip. Everything's horribly well worn.
I probably have some trip reports somewhere ... will look them out.

Beardy

Hi Ecowall

Enjoy! It's an excellent place - the caving is more British in style than continental.
though the trips can be a bit longer. 

my write up

http://www.rrcpc.org.uk/newsletters/NL_V38_N4_A3.htm

Note:- A good survey is extremely helpful

regards
Beardy

References:
Chevalier, P., (1948), Subterranean Climbers, 223 pages.
Comite departemental de speleogie de L’ Isere, (1997), La Dent de Crolles et son reseau souterrain, 303 pages.
Darrne, F. & Tordjman P. (1991), a travers le karst - 60 traversees speleologiques francaises, p128-145
Kaye, M. (1996), TSG Journal 15, P40 to Guiers Mort by the classic route, p54-57

These two in particular are excellent books:-
Nice tome on just the D.D.C.
http://www.gaia-store.com/catalog/details_produit.php?products_id=3251
And the French Through Trip Book (availablefrom expe)
http://www.abymes.com/atlk/liens_atlk.html

ian mckenzie

I did a DDC pulldown seventeen years ago (with some of our forum participants) and we didn't even have a survey... just a schematic, which was probably of more use.  We did a recce thru Trou du Glaz entrance first, to confirm that the 'up' pitch was rigged.  The P40 entrance series is fun, but can be quite wet (we got pounded at the base of Salle de Douche), and you have to watch out for Puits Trois Soeurs which you have to exit before reaching the bottom - very important if you're pulling down - there used to be a card with a green arrow on it on a ledge to help.  The rest of the cave is pretty straightforward, but watch the weather - a low bit in the Guiers Mort exit can sump, but there's another exit up in the ceiling that was rigged when we were there.

Also there is a very nice side-to-side option, Trou du Glaz to Grotte Annette. Some protected traverses required, and a bit slippery in places (Puits Banane is well named), and it's a spectacular exit at night with the lights of the villages below you. 

And you can retrace part of the historic Chevalier route from bottom to top following the stream, as far as the base of Puits Balcone without kit.  Makes you appreciate that Chevalier and co. missed all of the big easy stuff.

AndyF

ian mckenzie said:
I did a DDC pulldown seventeen years ago (with some of our forum participants) and we didn't even have a survey... just a schematic, which was probably of more use.  We did a recce thru Trou du Glaz entrance first, to confirm that the 'up' pitch was rigged.  The P40 entrance series is fun, but can be quite wet (we got pounded at the base of Salle de Douche), and you have to watch out for Puits Trois Soeurs which you have to exit before reaching the bottom - very important if you're pulling down - there used to be a card with a green arrow on it on a ledge to help.  The rest of the cave is pretty straightforward, but watch the weather - a low bit in the Guiers Mort exit can sump, but there's another exit up in the ceiling that was rigged when we were there.

Also there is a very nice side-to-side option, Trou du Glaz to Grotte Annette. Some protected traverses required, and a bit slippery in places (Puits Banane is well named), and it's a spectacular exit at night with the lights of the villages below you. 

And you can retrace part of the historic Chevalier route from bottom to top following the stream, as far as the base of Puits Balcone without kit.  Makes you appreciate that Chevalier and co. missed all of the big easy stuff.

IIRC Puit Banana is on the Gls-Mort and is the one you get off half way down....hence the name.

Annette route can be blocked by rubble slides at times.

We came out of Chevalier in pitch black with no water and had a lot of trouble getting down the scree slopes. Ended up lying on backs going under trees and down gullies for a LONG way until we hit a path (We had cars parked down at the hospital) It was a nightmare, and we nearly got benighted......didn't know if we were going to arrive at a cliff edge.

Checking the Cascade Rocheuse for a rig is sensible, but alternatively just make sure you have route details for the alternative (I've not done it) It's a good way into the cave and is a pain to go in and out leaving a rig in place.

Alternative, check with a local club, they will tell you.

mrodoc

Might as well add my bit.  Have done the Trou de Glaz - Guiers Mort and Trou de Glaz - Annette plus paid a visit to the mid level passage known as the Metro (where the tomb is).  Apart from a recce just inside the entrance of Guiers Mort did the through trip straight off from Trou de Glaz. This was about 25 years ago.  Relied on Pierre Chevalier's book and a rough survey to find the route. Exciting and took 13 hours.  Trou to Annette more straightforward traverse across the system with some big holes to pass. Some of the crowd (Cerberus SS) did the Gouffe Therese which  was rather crumbly with some dodgy spits I gather. Took them about 24 hours and they were somewhat knackered!  We did trip reports and descriptions in the Cerberus Journal - have copies somewhere if you are interested. Recommend you read Subterranean Climbers thoroughly before you go there - it's a classic.

Chris J

Did Trou Glaz - Guiers Mort last Easter:

http://www.casj.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=26

my advice - don't go at Easter as there may be snow on the ground. This makes the small path from the col to the entrance very dodgy!!

We got the A3 surveys and laminated them (plus a good description) and carried these large folded bits of laminated paper through the cave.

Made route finding easier and meant we didn't have to worry as much about pulling down as we went.

W

wildsurf

We're off to the Dent De Crolles a week today.  Any advice, English route descriptions etc.. gratefully received.

Anyone know any good canyons or other caving trips?

langcliffe

wildsurf said:
We're off to the Dent De Crolles a week today.  Any advice, English route descriptions etc.. gratefully received.

A good site on the area in general and the walking in particular is:

http://www.braemoor.co.uk/chartreuse/

Ed W

Got back from the Dent de Crolles yesterday.  For information, there are good traverse lines in situ on all the pull through pitches for Glaz-Guiers Mort and Glaz Annette.  There are good fixed ropes on the Puits Noir (awkward deviation though), Cascade Rocheuse, Puits Banane, Puits de la Varappe and the bypass to Puits de Gnole.  There is a fixed rope on the Puits Pierre, but this is a bit worn at the top and muddy enough to make ascenders slip at the top.

Didn't have a go at the two big through trips (P40 or Therese).  There have been two new entrances found and connected into the main system this year, we met a couple of guys making the first traverse on Thursday.

We took 5 hours Glaz-Annette (plus 1 hour walk each way) and 7 hours Glaz-Mort.  The Annette path is currently OK in wellies, as long as it is not wet.

If you want any more info give me a shout.

Ed