Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales

Great to see a few chapters now available on-line. Overall really excellent reading and a great way to drip feed before eventual paper publication.

Some comment:-

Caves of Wharfedale and Littondale

Not sure why Black Keld - Mossdale - Langcliffe get a separate chapter ( not yet published). Omitting these just seems to leave a huge gap in the Wharfedale chapter.

Plus there seems to be an obvious omission in the Penyghent Gill area. Not a mention of Sn.... you know where!

Caves of Ingleborough

Again, why give GG a separate chapter and leave a big hole (couldn't resist) in the Ingleborough chapter?

Pitlamp

I think it was decided there is so much collective knowledge that the chapters would become too big unless split. I believe that part of the reason for publishing each chapter online as it becomes available is to allow for additions to be made (as a result of the widest possible range of cavers being able to look through them) before printing. The important thing is that all the info will be there eventually.

I'll be in contact with ACW in the coming days so I'll draw his attention to your remarks. But "Sn" isn't especially helpful regarding the Penyghent Gill area. Can you send a PM with a little more info and I'll make sure it gets passed on? Thanks.

grahams

If the reference is to Snurds Hole then I certainly agree with Psychocrawler. The place might be short and contain far more water than is good for it given its passage sizes, but Snurds is a highly significant cave as its water is probably that derived from Penyghent Gill Main Sink i.e. is a window onto the main drainage for the area.

A little downstream of Snurds is Waterfall Cave, another cave of great importance not mentioned in the chapter on Littondale. Whist a considerable amount of chemical persuasion would be needed for progress, Waterfall Cave could connect with the end of Spittle Croft Cave and could also be the upper end of an ancient drainage route to Litton Fosse. Penyghent Gill becomes much narrower downstream of Waterfall Cave, possibly indicating a major ancient sink in this area. The friendly dip in the limestone together with the considerable height differential from these sinks to the Littondale resurgence indicate that there could be several miles of extremely sporting passage waiting to be explored. Powerful drafts in Waterfall Cave, at the Skirfare Main Sink, in downstream SC Cave and in the dry river bed near the Stainforth bridleway bridge in Littondale provide further evidence.

Whilst the text has a good description of the drainage from Penyghent Gill to the Littondale resurgence, for additional clarity it would be good to see a general area map which ties together figs 26.23 and 26.34.

I'm greatly enjoying the chapters so far published on-line by the BCRA and am looking forward to getting my hands on the finished book.

andys

Anyone know when we are likely to see the printed edition of volume 2? A publication date of "early 2017" is mentioned in the online version so presumably its not far off?

Pitlamp

When I saw your post above I asked Tony Waltham (as I was swapping emails with him this afternoon anyway). His reply was:

"Aim is to print Volume 2 this summer, probably with first copies at HE. That?s about as far as I can say right now. Watch this space!"

Hope that helps. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it.