Would a cave gate be more acceptable looking like this?

Brains

17424735_1452586574753457_2323508440501270713_n.jpg

Crystal Cave CA.USA Cobweb Entrance Gate. (Sequoia Nat. Pk.)
pic posted by Lons Marshalk on FB

NewStuff

No, but it wouldn't be me if I said anything else. However, that is, if I'm not mistaken, a commercially operated cave.

ah147

No. down with this sort of thing!

Unless it is a commercially operated cave of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenilworth

No, cartoonish is even worse than industrial. If a cave gate is needed, the only thing that matters is that it doesn't ruin the aesthetics of the entrance. If the entrance isn't particularly attractive this isn't important. If it is, the gate ought to be constructed deeper within if possible.

Tommy

If there has to be a gate on a commercial cave, I say it's a good thing to enhance the customers' experience by playing on the theme of 'giant scary cave-dwelling spiders'.

This is fun and much more visually appealing than a plain old grid. I'm sure kids would love it and it may play a small part in the complex web of factors that get's them hooked on exploration. ;)

However I'm sure we all agree that gates have absolutely no place whatsoever on ANY non-commercial cave.

corax

Topimo said:
However I'm sure we all agree that gates have absolutely no place whatsoever on ANY non-commercial cave.
Excluding of course one that simply  prevents accidental loss of livestock but does not hinder exploration.

ZombieCake

Maybe Spiderman was the lowest bidder in order to get the contract?  It's a bit shiny so a bit of paint or other finish to help blend in wouldn't hurt (or maybe it'll rust or get a patina in time depending on what it's made of).  Other than that I don't particularly mind it, makes a change from the normal dull square imposing miserable type gates.

DanHolme

I like it, but I think it would freak out some arachnophobic tourists if used on a showcave!

I once 'lost' two tourists off a trip down Robin Hood's Cave at Creswell Crags, after I'd warned the group, at the entrance, about the large number of cave spiders. One half of the couple freaked out, describing what I'd said as a 'hideous image', and they legged it. To be fair I had been telling the story about watching an egg sac hatch over someone's head; don't know why they were worrying, they had a helmet on! I was a bit more wary of telling that story afterwards...

I can't imagine their sensitive sort wanting to wander through a giant web into a mysterious underworld,. but it is quite pretty nonetheless.

Roger W

DanHolme said:
...To be fair I had been telling the story about watching an egg sac hatch over someone's head; don't know why they were worrying, they had a helmet on! I was a bit more wary of telling that story afterwards...

I guess the thought of thousands of tiny spiders crawling down off your helmet and into your hair, ears and shirt collar is easily enough to make the more squeamish squeam!

crickleymal

DanHolme said:
I like it, but I think it would freak out some arachnophobic tourists if used on a showcave!

I once 'lost' two tourists off a trip down Robin Hood's Cave at Creswell Crags, after I'd warned the group, at the entrance, about the large number of cave spiders. One half of the couple freaked out, describing what I'd said as a 'hideous image', and they legged it. To be fair I had been telling the story about watching an egg sac hatch over someone's head; don't know why they were worrying, they had a helmet on! I was a bit more wary of telling that story afterwards...

I can't imagine their sensitive sort wanting to wander through a giant web into a mysterious underworld,. but it is quite pretty nonetheless.

A friend of mine was having a bath and idly watching this spider on the side of the bath. Suddenly it went into convulsions then split open and lots of little creepy crawlies burst out. Apparently he levitated out of the bath PDQ.

DanHolme

@CrickleyMal

Noice. Baby spiders, or parasites?

Overall I have no problem with meta menardi, even the octopus-sized ones, but years ago I was piddling about under some boulders in the opencast bit of Jug Holes and one dropped in my mouth. :yucky: