1930's history - mines around Pontyates

Geoff R

Not caving, but dont know if anyone can direct me to 1930's mining history around Pontyates, South Wales ?

Im about to go on a camping holiday with my wife with one objective to see for the first time where her mother was born and brought up, Pontyates, South Wales, where my wife's grandfather Charlton Thomas was a miner (who died of Silicosis abt. 1945).  We know he worked in the local mines a few miles away around Pontyberm village, (then during WW2 at the powder factory, Pembray).   

In particular, my Welsh speaking mother-in-law (who moved away with remaining family/sisters aged 16ish in about 1946), reports playing in a local mine in the close vicinity of Pontyates. 

Im just looking for information sources and would particularly like to identify the apparent open and abandoned mine she played in, or related things to see when visiting this immediate area.

thanks for any ideas  (y)       

robjones

The only detailed book is in Welsh: K.C.Treharne 'Glofeydd Cwm Gwendraeth', Llanelli, 1995, 214pp. Very good on C20. Out of print but fairly often available second hand.

The only detailed English language book that is relevant is A.A.Archer 'Geology of the Gwendraeth Valley and Adjoing Areas', London, 1968. Always readily available second hand.

The Welsh Coal Mines Website and discussion forum may also be useful.

Geoff R

Rob, thanks  (y)

I will opt for the English version as regretfully my mother-in-law did not pass on Welsh to my wife and is unlikely to read it herself.

Much appreciated