South Wales weather this weekend?

4bags

Can anyone give any advice on water levels in South Wales at the moment? In particular whether Dan Yr Ogof will be (sensibly) accessible either Sat or Sun? I know there is potentially some snow forecast for Saturday night...
Thanks!

NigR

Water levels are low right now. As you say, forecast suggests snow is possible later in the week but if it is cold enough this will freeze on the tops. I would think DYO should be OK and in fact a friend of mine is planning a trip to the Far North, most likely on Sunday. Suggest you keep an eye on the charts and check water levels yourself when you arrive. Will post any drastic deterioration in conditions on here for you to see.

NigR

Londoncaver said:
How are driving conditions in the Beacons at the moment? Esp Heads of the Valleys, Penwyllt, Ystradfellte area.

Don't know about the east side but main roads in the west and central areas are fine. Have been from Ammanford to Hay-on-Wye this afternoon with no problems at all. Travelled out via Neath, Hirwaun, Penderyn and Brecon then returned via Llandovery. A few small snow flurries around Cader Fawr and past the Storey Arms but that was all.

Haven't been up the hill to Penwyllt since Saturday but it should still be OK. No idea about minor roads in the Ystradfellte area as I've not been over there - might be a bit icy around Little Neath I would think.

Main road from Brynamman to Herbert's Quarry is open as usual. However, walking conditions on the Black Mountain are serious and should be treated with respect by anyone intending venturing far from the road. Not too much snow to contend with but the northeast wind has been absolutely bitter. Surface temperatures over near Pwll Swnd (out of the wind) were -8 on Sunday and had only risen to -6 yesterday. Nice and warm in the caves though!