Win 100m Spanset Platinum 9mm!!

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
  :D :D We have a winner!!   :D :D

WIN 100M SPANSET PLATINUM 9MM ROPE!!

wl

(y) (y) Many thanks to SpanSet & Teufelberger for offering this great prize (y) (y)

wl

wl

http://www.platinum-rope.com/index.php?id=105      www.spanset.co.uk

To enter, simply let us know which cave or pitch(s) you'd rig if you won 100m of Platinum Protect 9mm.

For inspiration, take a look at the list of pre rigged caves on the Eurospeleo 2016 website.
;) What a list of some of the best The Dales has to offer  ;)
Some will be rigged on Platinum and some on Gold!!

http://eurospeleo.uk/about/caving.php

We look forward to hearing about classic and obscure caves/pitches, both in the UK and abroad.

Winner chosen at random on Friday 18th March (After 10pm).  Good luck!!

wl

cavemanmike

i would need more than 100m of rope, but i would rig north henblas shaft in holywell north wales
325ft ,7 re-belay's . thats where you get off at the bottom platform but the shaft does carry on
another 200ft  to meet the milwr tunnel.
the top 325ft is a great training ground for srt training and to keep fit.
in my hay day i could get up in 12 minutes, but that was when we had a dig going on and practically lived in the place

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
cavemanmike said:
i would need more than 100m of rope, but i would rig north henblas shaft in holywell north wales
325ft ,7 re-belay's . thats where you get off at the bottom platform but the shaft does carry on
another 200ft  to meet the milwr tunnel.
the top 325ft is a great training ground for srt training and to keep fit.
in my hay day i could get up in 12 minutes, but that was when we had a dig going on and practically lived in the place

A perfect entry, thank you  (y)

PeteHall

100m of 9mm is probably enough to stitch up most of my oversuits...

I mean, what else would a Mendip caver use rope for? Other than dragging digging buckets or handlining sumps, but Spanset Platinum Protect, it's a bit posh for that sort of thing!

cap n chris

PeteHall said:
I mean, what else would a Mendip caver use rope for?

Sell it to raise funds to buy a time machine so they can jump out of 1840 and into the 21st century, most likely.

slinkydan

I would rig gaping gill and abseil the whole pitch but I don't think 100 meters would be enough it's more like 200 if I'm correct?

topcat

For this to make any real sense I assume that we only have 100m of rope but that it can be cut.  Otherwise the comp would be a bit pointless: not many 100m pitches to go at!  And if you allow additional rope beyond the prize length then it opens things out far too wide??

Anyway, I offer Jean Pot.  The total rope required is 101m, but I happen to know that the 10m allowance on pitch 2 is generous: 9m is comfortably enough, taking down to 100m exactly.

Also, give the nature of The Hard Times and UGC crawls tackling the cave with light weight 9mm makes perfect sense!

And it's a nice blend of SRT and 'caving', with some nice straws :)

footleg

I would use it to descend Torc?n de Ria?o (site 106 in Matienzo). The only surface entrance above valley level which drops straight down to the basement level of the 4 Valleys System. The main 91.5m hang should just about be doable with frugal rigging (and a short rope for the 7m pitch above). The site description says the passage at the bottom ends at a sump close to an inlet sump in the 4 Valleys System. But what if there were higher level passages off that big shaft part way down that had not been spotted in the days before modern LED lights? There could be an entire upper series which bypasses that sump! One of the caves I have drawn up the survey but not yet descended. Check out the survey on the area map here: http://wscc.darkgem.com/matienzo/map/sitesmap.htm?lat=43.344534&lon=-3.589943&zoom=19

Fulk

100 m of rope would be just right to rig the entrance and main pitch of Rowten Pot, one of the more spectacular pitches in the Dales ? it would be my choice for the rope's first outing.

Brains

Think Rowten Pot would be the place for me to have a dabble at knitting, nice atmospheric pitches, clean washed, interesting rigging and contemplating the temptation of trying to free dive into KMC ... then climbing back out the entrance as a sensible option (for me at least).
Failing that some interesting old mine shafts in Derbyshire or maybe Nenthead?

cap n chris

Fulk said:
100 m of rope would be just right to rig the entrance and main pitch of Rowten Pot

You'd have thought so, wouldn't you? Not entirely sure it's enough, though. People have been caught out by the topo!

Fulk said:
..one of the more spectacular pitches in the Dales ? it would be my choice for the rope's first outing.

Agree!

MattDay

I would use it for the final traverse and pitch in Juniper Gulf.
This was one of my early SRT trips and one that I've been wanting to repeat ever since.

Fulk

100 m of rope would be just right to rig the entrance and main pitch of Rowten Pot

You'd have thought so, wouldn't you? Not entirely sure it's enough, though. People have been caught out by the topo!

Maybe it depends which set of bolts you rig from; certainly our current 100-m rope reaches the bottom of the pitch from the first set of bolts in the 'cleft'.