New Goyden - Dive - 23/07/2016 (Part 3)

UKMC

My final text on the matter as we stood looking at the mass on knotted line CC had dragged out of sump 2 my mind was telling me to get back to dive base/outside/my girls as you are cold, close to gas turn point and had two close calls. But my hart was telling me we should adventure more and the words of CC where ringing in my ears "large walking passage with high avens" also this is why I started diving to see bits of cave I would otherwise never get chance to see. This was CC's last big adventure before his new baby arrives and diving is off the cards for a month or two and we had put a lot of time and effort into this already. We chatted about what we would do and the options we had and it was decided that CC would go into the start of sump 2 and have a quick look at what the mass of line was like and off he went into the watery darkness. Five turned in to ten and ten into fifteen the drips in the air bell where starting to sound like a tune forming a song in my head and far off I could hear a buzzing like a lawnmower. Fifteen is turning into twenty and I looked at my dive computer and my arms are starting to shake I'm balls deep In bloody cold water after a long day and starting to pay the price. My eye is fixed on the line like a fisherman hunting his pray in hope the line would twitch to signal CC was moving or on his way back. Not a sign in my f?&@?d cold state my mind started to run options and things that could have happened. I re work out my gas and try and tell how cold I really am and how it's starting to affect me. We are looking at twenty five minutes now do I use my 40 bar and go looking in the cloud of line in sump 2 for CC or do I start my return legs and start the chain of getting help. It was not helping that I had just days before been reading about 3 divers that followed each other and all had got stuck 2 on a main dive and 1 on The next rescue. It's was a shit call to make but I was dam cold low on gas and starting to feel massively out of my depth I was going to start my dive back to dive base and set time limits at the end of each sump to see if CC showed up. With a last look at the line and a hopeful thought that CC was just exploring the dry cave after sump 2 I do my checks and head into the water the cold filling my wet suit about did me in my head was getting brain freeze. Leaving the line in place I make my way back to dive base 2 and was gong to hold for 10 mins and of no sign I was going to bypass middle sump leave my
Kit and go get help. Just as I was about to go the line twitched told myself to get a grip as my eyes where playing tricks on me it was just the water moving. It moved once more a cold but big smile filled my face I was truly overjoyed to see my scuba Dracula emerge from sump 1.

We exchanged works to some affect and made a fast plan to return to the two pitches to surface CC dived first and I retrieved the line afterwards and the last push to dive base and the first pitch. A long and hard slog later we got to sunlight and open air and I had learned a lot

Always remove line

Chill and find a solution when epics happen

Always check your wing man before getting help

Keep diving it will only get better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk