Student Cavers!!

An opportunity for your Club to win a GRAND PRIZE

[size=36pt]worth over ?1300!!

[/size]
at The CHECC forum 25th- 27th November

wl

Donated by UKC - 2 full SRT kits including helmets and personal tackle bags

wl

Ideal for training new cavers in the art of single rope techniques.

Donated by Buff  (y) - 20 Buffs to keep the team warm whilst the pitches are being rigged

Donated by Warmbac  (y)  2 x 100m tackle bags - to carry the rope for all that SRT!

Donated by Spanset  (y) 100m 9mm Training rope - for practicing with those SRT kits!

Donated by the Red Rose Cave & Pothole Club  (y) - 12 nights accommodation at Bull Pot Farm

'The Farm' is the perfect base for SRT trips into the Easegill system

wl

wl

wl

wl
wl

CHECC Clubs, for details on how to enter, read on.....

The 'Grand Prize' competition is being held to benefit student caving - therefore the majority of competition entrants should be current students rather than alumni.

In order to qualify to enter the competition each club must:

A)  Post on the thread 'Our Club and Freshers Season 2016' tell your fellow caver about your club and experiences of Freshers Season 2016. 

Club history, famous alumni, current activities, training, expeditions etc, etc.  Student Clubs play an important role in introducing people to caving - how many new cavers joined your club this year, how did you encourage students to try caving?? etc, etc.

The best write up, as judged by Badlad and Pegasus wins 10 points, the runner up 5 points.  One entry per club and posted by 10pm, Saturday 26th November.

B)  The second requirement for entry into the 'Grand prize' is for each club to 'Like', 'Comment' and 'Share' on the 'Grand prize' post pinned to the top of the UKC Facebook page.  Don't forget to mention your Club in the comment!

The Club that scores the highest number of points - wins! Here's how to score more points:

1)  Write a trip report and post on UKC under 'Trip Reports'.  The report heading should include the Club's name and 'CHECC Grand Prize entry' so we know it's an entry into the Grand Prize.  Entries to be in by 10pm 26th November.  Winning trip report 10 points, runner up 5 points.  Any trip to any cave anywhere - sporting/digging/expedition.....to be judged by Badlad & Pegasus.  No limit on number of entries.

2)  Best 'Caving is fun' photograph.  Post on the 'CHECC best cave photograph 2016 Forum' thread.  To be judged by Brendan Marris & Mark Burkey of The Dudley (Thanks, guys  (y)).  Entries in by 10pm, November 26th.  Max 5 entries per Club, however don't forget to mention your Club!  Winner 10 points, runner up 5 points.

3)  Best video on any aspect of caving.  Post on the 'CHECC best cave video 2016 Forum' thread.  To be judged by 'Caver Keith' of The Dudley (Thanks, Keith (y)).  Entries in by NOON, November 26th.  Please refer to the 'Best Video' thread for the guidelines. One entry per Club, however don't forget to mention your Club!  Winner 10 points, runner up 5 points.

4)  Design a cave conservation poster.  Enter by posting on the 'Cave Conservation Poster' thread under Conservation.  To be judged by Andrew Hinde of Natural England (thank you, Andrew  (y)).  Entries in by 10pm FRIDAY 25th, November.  Again, don't forget to mention your Club. Cave conservation is important so - Winner 15 points, runner up 10 points.

5)  Knot tying - tie 3 knots in the fastest time - knots to be disclosed at the Forum. Unlimited number of entries per club. 5 points to the winner's nominated Club, 3 points to the runner up's nominated Club.

6) SRT obstacle course - fastest safe completion of the course.  5 points to the winner's nominated Club, 3 points to the runner up's Club

7) Squeeze box - 5 points for the tightest squeeze and 3 points for best effort as judged by the marshal to the winner's nominated Club.

8 ) Pan & sling - 5 points to the winner's nominated Club, 3 to the runner up's Club.

9)  Full body traverse - 5 points to the winner's nominated Club, 3 to the runner up's Club.

(Entrants to 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 to be current students.  Alumni may help with other tasks)

10) Lucky prize draw - winner 10 points, runner up 5 points.  Each delegate will be given an individually numbered UKC raffle card when registering at the Forum. The 'raffle' will be drawn Sunday morning at the Forum - the winner/runner up may nominate which Club their points go to.

11) Each qualifying club gets to nominate 10 points to another club of their choice (not themselves!). 
      Clubs may nominate tactically or altruistically.

Any questions, please post on this thread.

Good Luck!!  ;)

A_Northerner

I can't seem to find the competition threads mentioned? Have they not been put up yet?

And no cake competition this year!? We'd got our resident baker all pumped up for it, we've been swapping trash-talk with ULSA's baker and everything!

Fulk

Well done UKC for sponsoring this prize (or these prizes); but might I ask, what is 'training rope'?

Tommy

Fulk said:
Well done UKC for sponsoring this prize (or these prizes); but might I ask, what is 'training rope'?

Two little ropes you attach to the back of your main rope for better balance when prussiking. You take them off after a while.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Topimo said:
Fulk said:

Two little ropes you attach to the back of your main rope for better balance when prussiking. You take them off after a while.

Brilliant!  :LOL: :LOL:

Fulk - many moons ago, when I was a student caver at Birmingham University, we used to practice SRT in the Uni gym. I'm assuming students today do something similar (?) so I called the rope Spanset are donating Training rope' as I simply had that in mind - don't suppose using rope covered in mud would go down too well in a gym or similare indoor venue.  Obviously, the winning club could just use it caving  ;)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Just start up a new thread with  "Our Club and Freshers Season 2016"  as the title.  Be the first to post and make Pegasus (one of the judges) very happy.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Badlad said:
  Be the first to post and make Pegasus (one of the judges) very happy.

;) ;) ;)

I hope lots of folks get to read your write up as it shows the influence (at least your!) student club has in introducing new people to our sport.  Great write up, great photos and thanks very much for the being the first to enter  (y) (y)

PS - I'm sure I we you a mug??  I'll bring down to CHECC  :coffee:

A Happy Pegasus

aricooperdavis

Thanks for offering us this fantastic opportunity Pegasus! Also, sorry for the belated photos of spanset rope usage, I've only just got myself an underground camera, so I'll make sure that it gets a photo the next time we use it (it's first trip was the Boxhead round-trip from NFTFH)!

That'd be brilliant, I've finally got our T-shirts through so I can send them off together :)

nobrotson

just written a write-up thing about freshers season, expect a number of ULSA trip reports to follow soon as well :)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
With two days to go seven CHECC Clubs have qualified for the Grand Prize so far....

Thank you to:

Exeter University Speleology Society, SUSS (Sheffield University Speleological Society), ULSA (University of Leeds Speleological Association) and UBSS (University of Bristol Speleological Society), Reading University Caving Club, Nottingham University, Southampton and Cambridge University Caving Club - you're in!

Taken from the CHECC website here's a list of the other CHECC Clubs - hoping to hear from at least some of the soon  :)

Aberystwyth Caving Club

Cardiff Universty Caving Club

University College Dublin Caving and Potholing Club

Durham University Speleological Association

Glasgow University Potholing Assoiation

Imperial College Caving Club

University of Limerick Outdoor Pursuits Club

Manchester University Speleology Club

University of Newcastle Caving Club

Oxford University Caving Club

University of Plymouth Adventure and Expo

Queens University Belfast Caving Club

York University Caving and Potholing Club

If you haven't yet read the posts from Exeter, SUSS and ULSA describing their Clubs and this year's Freshers season, I'd recommend an eye opening read - even surprised me just how many people the student clubs are introducing to our sport.  At a time when, in my opinion at least, caving is in decline, the student clubs are doing an excellent job.

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=21104.0

oli

Aber will get there, eventually. Thanks for organising a great prize, and please don't equate lack of entries for lack of enthusiasm :)

aricooperdavis

Just want to say a massive thank you to Pegasus and Badlad for arranging such a fantastic competition! Exeter didn't come very highly in the runnings, but we all enjoyed the competitions, and it's encourage us to write some more trip reports, take some more photos, and practice our knot tying and srt obstacle courses! Cheers! :clap:

Diglett

Well done, Ari!

Great effort by EUSS on all of the competition entries. Better luck next time, and who knows by the sounds of it there may be even more to play for!  :clap:

Yeti

I have to extend my thanks on behalf of both myself and from SUSS for the prizes that were sponsored by Pegasus and Badlad from UKCaving. We are going to be holding a committee meeting to decide what we are going to do with the stuff the club won. We plan to distribute things we don?t really need to clubs that are in need of it because bringing university caving clubs together is something the club values a lot. It was a really good competition, and we enjoyed taking part, even if it wasn't the competitions themselves that we originally won from!

I also extend my thanks to the CHECC organisers for pulling off a brilliant weekend, I certainly enjoyed myself, and all I have heard is positive feedback from other people. I jut hope that I am around next year!

Attachments

• club kit.jpg
    club kit.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 190