Goatchurch Cavern - the perfect setting for a one year anniversary

JoshW

We woke up on the morning of our 1 year anniversary, in a beautiful four poster bed in a luxury hotel ready for a day of pampering in a spa..

In reality, we woke up on the morning of our 1 year anniversary on the floor of a scout hut in Wells ready for a day of caving having been up ?til the early hours after the Wells Carnival drinking monkeyshoulder whiskey and chinese ?wine?.

Becks? enthusiasm for caving ranged from ?i?m not doing it? to ?there?s no way i?m f***ing doing it?, all of which I saw as positive responses expressing her delight at going underground for the first time.

Throughout the morning groups left for trips to Swildons, Burrington etc and despite my best persuasions, nothing would convince Becks that it would be enjoyable.

Enter the Badger. Badge talked to Becks in a caring, understanding and yet persuading way that only he could, before taking her into the cupboard with his helmet in his hand.

A good 15 minutes later and they reappear with a plan. The three of us will head to Aveline?s Hole for a gentle meander as far as we?re feeling confident to.

I?ve obtained wellies (Thanks Helen!) for Becks to put on, and we?ve decided we?ll stay in our above ground clothes and just layer up. I will lend my helmet with El Speleo to Becks and borrow one of the clubs Petzl Duo?s, whilst Badge will light the way with his Scurion.

The wet weather had caused a stream to be flowing into the entrance to Aveline?s which echoed round and provided a quite intimidating entrance for a novice. After a brief discussion of the geology of caves (she loves learning), Becks feels like she can take a few steps in, with me demonstrating the shortness of the cave by clambering to the end and showing that you?re never out of sight.

Having been under cover we consider this a great success and Becks seems confident enough that we?re going to step it up a level and head up the hill towards Goatchurch Cavern.

We show Becks the tradesman?s entrance and where we normally take groups out before heading up to the showcave entrance. Becks? confidence had clearly grown at this point as she takes more confident strides, trusting in the welly?s grip, even supporting Badger who had about as much grace as a pantomime dame due to the flat nature of the soles of his boots.

We head down steadily and surely to the top of the giant?s steps before having a sit down. We shan?t be going any further due to still being in jeans and coats rather than ?proper caving kit?.

Talking about the geology, the history and nature contained within caves, seemed to put Becks at ease enough to be discussing a return trip with the Goatchurch round trip being suggested (in one entrance along the bottom and out the other).

The Footleg clan then entered the cave, with Becks impressed with how at ease the Footleg youngsters were.

Due to sitting on cold rock we decided we were getting a bit nippy, having not moved for around 45 minutes. It was decided what we really needed was a cream tea in cheddar, so we retreated to safety and back down to the car.

With Becks considering further trips and me unwilling to revert back to a petzl duo again (felt like candlelight compared to the el speleo) we find ourselves needing a new caving light.

Words cannot describe a) how grateful I am for Badger for helping us out; b) how grateful I am to the rest of WSCC for being so encouraging and welcoming Becks on her first (of many) weekends away with us; and c) how proud I am of Becks for overcoming a massive fear of hers, and throwing herself into my world of getting pissed and climbing around in small holes.