Name That Photo.

The Old Ruminator

Maybe an idea to encourage cavers to upload images with an appropriate tag. Though in my heart I think it won't. ::)

One for starter -

" Maybe we should meet up sometime "

The Old Ruminator

Getting photos from cavers on the forum is like pulling teeth. Perhaps its all an illusion and nobody actually takes any but the dedicated few. So how many actually go caving regularly anyway ? That's eight trips for me in a month. Not bad from an old man. :coffee:

Fulk

TOR qote:

Getting photos from cavers on the forum is like pulling teeth.

Maybe that's in part, at least, because you can't just post photos on here, but you have to go through another web-site.

The Old Ruminator

Only takes a few seconds through Photobucket or Postimage,org. etc.  I have always found this aspect of the forum odd. I get loads of images on my collector's forums but you dont see much here. Sometimes you get links to Flickr or similiar but I dont bother too much following those. The caving Facebook group I use is pretty sparse also so I think it's more to do with the cavers themselves than the effort needed to upload images here.    Perhaps there are fewer photo taking cavers than we thought. Many " Cave Photographers " like Mr O'Doc have their own website perhaps to keep more control over their own copyright. The "professionals", as Kenilworth calls them, maybe earn a few quid through magazines etc. Who knows? I just think it all strange.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Not many cavers take a camera underground.  Is that more likely the problem?

Fulk said:
TOR qote:

Getting photos from cavers on the forum is like pulling teeth.

Maybe that's in part, at least, because you can't just post photos on here, but you have to go through another web-site.

We've made it easy as we can to post photos on the forum.  There are two ways.  One as a link from another web hosting site and the other directly as an attachment (although these must be 256kb or less).  It is all explained on this thread.

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19799.0

Amy

"Photography Photobomb"
- was not expecting Footleg to appear right then as I was trying to catch Ferret climbing the 8 haha -
17264744_1565841010122811_4220396967631356825_n.jpg

Griffin

It's a bit of a pain uploading photos onto forums, but even more so on this forum. it's just taken me 15 minutes to work out how to post links from Flickr, reading through the other thread on how to post photos. I've done it before, but because it took 15 minutes to work out last time, it put me off and now I remember why!  :cautious:

Wondering if it would be worth looking into taking a leaf out of Aditnow's book, and create a database of photographs specific to each cave site that everyone can add to. Much more usable, searchable, and potentially quite useful going off Pegasus' recent request for UK cave photos.

Here's one from me for now anyway...

Moss Chamber, Peak Cavern
by Lauren Griffin, on Flickr

alastairgott

Griffin said:
Much more usable, searchable, and potentially quite useful going off Pegasus' recent request for UK cave photos.
Perhaps also useful for/connected to Gardouth's thoughts about having a trip report website? I'm sure one day he'll have a server dedicated to caving :s
He's probably got more bandwith on his servers now he's not catering for (coping with) me, C, L and a few others on a university Forum.

pwhole

Nice photo Lauren - that's my favourite formation in Derbyshire. Or at least the 'alien gargoyle' bit hanging off the side is ;)

_IGP5440_sm.jpg

Griffin

Thanks Phil, I love that thing too haha!

Would have been even better on the last trip if we hadn't missed the turning to Moss Chamber and done the whole Cohesion Crawl to Toadstool Aven, but there we are, lesson learnt! :-[

kay

Griffin said:
It's a bit of a pain uploading photos onto forums, but even more so on this forum. it's just taken me 15 minutes to work out how to post links from Flickr, reading through the other thread on how to post photos. I've done it before, but because it took 15 minutes to work out last time, it put me off and now I remember why!  :cautious:

How much of the 15 mins was finding out how to post it between img tags on ukc, and how much was finding exactly where Flickr had hidden "it" this time?

My problem has always been that Flickr keeps changing, and every time I try to post to ukc, Flickr has moved the crucial bit to a different place.

JasonC

Fulk said:
(although these must be 256kb or less).

But doesn't that mean really crap quality, piss-poor size?

Don't think so... You can resize your originals down to 256k and get something plenty good enough for posting here - pwhole's rather nice pic above is 242k, others on this page are smaller, and even TOR's gorgeous offering is only slightly bigger

Alex

You asked me to name it so I named it "Bob" I was hoping to get at least a snigger from that. No one laughed at my money joke either. I think I will go and cry in the corner as nobody likes me.

ZombieCake

Does anyone else think that the photo on pwhole's post above has a semblance of the Ood from Dr Who about it?  Should I check my medication  :doubt: ?

pwhole

The first time I saw it I thought 'H.R. Giger'. It's a remarkable piece, partly as whatever it formed over isn't apparent, and the flow didn't seem to have been entirely vertical. It just seems to have taken on a form that's faintly lifelike, though what sort of life I'm not quite sure...