My Friends at the Dig Face.

The Old Ruminator

Well they are at the moment.

So a few photos rarely posed of The Tuesday Diggers in Action.

?But I don?t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can?t help that," said the Cat: "we?re all mad here. I?m mad. You?re mad."
"How do you know I?m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn?t have come here.?

Sadly the maddest of them all --

Nigel giving me some camera advice.

My normal view of Tony.

" Cemented and Demented."  Peter.

Rob. Oh I just had to.

Lunch Time.

Chris in repose.

I did a massive collage of all the Reservoir diggers a while back. Also a Photobox book. " Reservoir Dogs "

Anyway all the above from this week wherever it was. Memory dimming now.

More later.

The Old Ruminator

Funny how photo threads have far less response than burblings about how to write trip reports and other less caving action related posts. :cautious:

One is almost tempted not to bother any more ---

Gone to join a cave photography group on Facebook ---- :-\

mudman

The Old Ruminator said:
Funny how photo threads have far less response than burblings about how to write trip reports and other less caving action related posts. :cautious:

One is almost tempted not to bother any more ---

Gone to join a cave photography group on Facebook ---- :-\

No, please do bother. I am guilty of not giving any responses, maybe I should. I'm not sure why I don't respond, maybe it's that I feel a bit removed in South Wales and that maybe my opinion wouldn't be welcome. I usually just enjoy looking at your photos and then move on. I especially love seeing you chaps at work, there is always a lack of such pictures with most  people usually concentrating on pictures of pretty stal and big chambers so your sequences are a refreshing change.
See please don't stop. You have at least one fan over the Bridge.

mrodoc

I tend to do albums and post a link which saves endless scrolling but Nick knows my views.

The Old Ruminator

Horses for courses Peter. I just cant be bothered to follow links when things can be presented directly. You are one of the countries most prolific cave photographers yet rarely post anything here. That's not a criticism . You have your own website and post a bit on Facebook.

Brains

Enjoy the pics - looks like an interesting way to spend an evening! The lack of fog banks is astounding  ;)

MarkS

The Old Ruminator said:

One is almost tempted not to bother any more...

I really enjoy your photos. Just because they don't provoke debate doesn't mean they're not a valuable and appreciated contribution to the forum. Maybe look at the thread views rather than number of replies? 168 views (and counting) in <24 hours suggests people do like this sort of post!  (y)

Kenilworth

O.R. - I enjoy your photos very much. Something that would help me appreciate them more would be the ability to put them into context. I know I've read a lot about Reservoir on this forum, but I've forgotten any details that might allow me to understand the where and why and progress of your dig. I will try to find that information. Something I have enjoyed seeing in the past is accompanying sketches, showing the extent of a dig and progress made over time. Since this is such a long term project I understand this might not be practical or necessary.

Thank you for your photographs!

cooleycr

Having a form of dyslexia that makes reading lengthy prose, remembering names etc. problematic, means that I tend to stick to articles that have pictures rather than words (magazines over books).
The upside is that I have a very good visual recall, for example my caving buddies talk about a certain cave/mine and I sometimes wonder where they are talking about but if they talk about a stand-out feature then I can usually 'see' exactly where they are referring to, same applies to people and places.

So yes, keep 'em coming O.R. and everyone else.  ;)

For a great example that works for me see the Tankard Shaft story - I have really enjoyed following this and find it easier to keep 'interested' because of the photos.  :beer:

The Old Ruminator

Okay OK . Now suitably mollified. The above photos were taken in our Vurley dig. We are approaching two years there now and have made good progress. ( Well for Mendip ). Basically I sneak Vurley photos in as the " Vurley Mining Company " are rather shy of publicity.  Hence the lack of a proper write up including surveys. During the dig the land changed hands so we felt it best to keep quiet while this long process took place. That seems settled now . The decision has now been made to bring news up to date ( oh nothing exciting ). There might be a Descent account coming up soon so that places me in a difficult position re the forum. It would be totally unfair to jump in and do a spoiler here now. After that I can do a top up.

So another couple of photos of my friends in an" un named dig."

Previously posted but I like that one. Yes " The Master " at work but I thought the back drop " interesting ". Rather like that iconic image of Brunel stood in front of those huge chains.
All too much the view is all cave and no character. I really like taking photos of cavers at work ( though they usually do not ). I think you can see character sometimes in an image.

Grr. Now Photobucket is playing up. It's enough to make you want to eat your young. Only 9.45 am and I have already had a row in the chemist today. Four of 'em stood about whilst Mr " Invisible Customer " stands fuming. I shall go for a long walk to clear the space between my ears ---

mrodoc

Kenilworth said:
O.R. - I enjoy your photos very much. Something that would help me appreciate them more would be the ability to put them into context. I know I've read a lot about Reservoir on this forum, but I've forgotten any details that might allow me to understand the where and why and progress of your dig. I will try to find that information. Something I have enjoyed seeing in the past is accompanying sketches, showing the extent of a dig and progress made over time. Since this is such a long term project I understand this might not be practical or necessary.

This photo book puts everything in context.  https://www.albelli.co.uk/view-online-photo-book/e7a2b440-af65-468a-97f9-c77a7fa56861 Kenilworth.

cooleycr

That is a fantastic 'pamphlet' and tells the story of an amazing find, some of those formations are incredible!
It would be great to see this kind of thing printed and on sale somewhere!

mrodoc

Currently there is only one copy and that was auctioned at the BEC dinner last year to raise funds. I can order more but they don't come cheap and there are some modifications I would make such as making the font size consistent.  It might be possible to redoit as an A4 softback at a lower price but I am currently (and glacially slowly at present) in the process of finishing a fuller history containing a few images from Willie Stanton's original digging effort that was going to be in that format. Some of the photos in the online book were taken at the times of discovery. I have used mine rather than OR's on the book you see but he obviously has others taken 'in real time' that would go into the historical document. At present he has been the sole documenter of Vurley although I am starting to take my camera in.

The Old Ruminator

Actually that's the type of link I can live with. I use Photobox and you can do similiar via their website. Its a long process compiling them though and rather costly. In saying that I have about 30 caving related Photobox books now. I have been assiduously recording work at Vurley since the start. I am almost ashamed to say that I have about 2,500 images now. Anyway if the Descent account is imminent I have a mind to run a Vurley Diary from the very start of the dig. Basically photos assuming Photobucket does not play up. I think I did similiar with Reservoir starting the thread half way through work there. So all in all that provides a visual history of a dig . Something a forum can excel at.

The Old Ruminator

Well I have been for a 6 mile walk and Photobucket has responded in kind by being amenable for a while. It just would not upload this morning.

The " Engineer " with the drill box. We have just replaced our mains drill with a new Bosch. Its running off 100m of cable and seems to be working well at the moment.

Him again. I will have a think about a diary.

Kenilworth

mrodoc said:
Kenilworth said:

This photo book puts everything in context.  https://www.albelli.co.uk/view-online-photo-book/e7a2b440-af65-468a-97f9-c77a7fa56861 Kenilworth.

Thanks!

The Old Ruminator

I have polled the group re more photos so will abide by their decision. Seems the fairest way as we have all put a lot of money into the project.

tony from suffolk

Another belated vote for your excellent photos Mr Ruminator. I confess to perceiving a naughty Photoshop opportunity with the piccy of your good self laid in the mud...