Dowber Gill

Balmerfish

Dowber Gill 
Its good to push yourself 

Having resolved to only write reports when I  actually have something to share about the experience . My intention with this report is an acknowledgement - there is a time for the novice to step up a bit, An internal discussion is resolved.   Such underground adventures are not considered lightly.  Appreciating it is a balance of previous lessons learnt verses eagerness.

An impromptu trip dialled up my consciousness which was left hanging in my mind. Hearing the words ? you spend 8 hour underground in a Caplecleugh, you will be enjoy Dowber Gill ? made me want to get down there.  Caving aspirations long held. My family are out for the day, friends' previously planned trip is unobtainable due to weather conditions. Thoughts in my mind raced with fervour, all pivoting in the same way, could I do this ? 
Journals, Blog Articles, Pub stories, Trip reports, YouTube videos, all absorbed - they had left  a resonance. Can composure be maintained ? Will I have one of my epic moments ? A line is noticed, realising my competency runs parallel in belief of the leader.  Simons experiences in Dowber Gill are well documented. For those that have read Simons exploits in Dowber Gill, will be assured. Caving enlightens me, confidence engenders confidence. I am no fool, keenly acknowledging the mind game the passage holds as perceived threats as much as a physical obstacles.  This passage has a reputation I am fully aware of. Will these words be uttered at the end of the day? Will the refections of the day afford me insights to myself previously hidden ? 
The prospect of visiting Dowber Gill spirits an unusual feeling. Having eagerly awaited a day the plausibility to complete a trip might occur. A sense of urgency to get this test piece done hangs. Corresponding with pointless thoughts, that are always shepherded to the far reaches, the heart rate races. Had too much thought been prescribed unchecked, the inner faint heart in me might rear its ever present beat - but hey a little SRT - so in for a penny in for a pound. Caving adventures never fail to offer the prefect remedy to my symptoms. 
Having previously had a sneak peek into Dowber Gill passage, via Dow cave - Dowber Gill wielded a sharpness of unfinished business. Holding a specific wish list of attributes caves should obey, Dowber Gill and another Cavern hold a nature of tune to an obsessive quality.  How will Dowber Gill fulfil my desired paradigm. Taxing deliberations resonate and demands of what will be required. What materialises ?well if you don't try you don't know?! This comment may appear flippant - it is not intended to be, I am a measured person. 

Waving goodbye to Frosty Teesside, heading to Kettlewell is undertaken with apprehensiveness. Kettlewell has become the gate way to pastures below, my trepidation mounts.
Meeting Simon - a quick kit check done, the usual roadside speed changing into wetsuits is negotiated. Simon calmly warms up with a quick yoga routine. I quickly wrestle my kit on, thoughts flash, this is going to be epic. Winter still leaves a gesture of her prescience in March, as there is snow on Great Whernside. It feels like a warm summers day, the weather forecast predicts this. Surmising I?m going to curse this wet suit walking up the Glorious Great Whernside. As always I curse. 

The approach to Providence Pot is not my favourite. Numerous rabbit holes feel like crossing a mine field, only to dissuade travelling.  Contemplating the events to come, falling further and further behind Simons sprightly pace. Staggering towards the stream at Providence pot I consider laying down mid stream to reduce my temperature.
Delivering well healed advice Simon makes it clear that he will be leading, I need to listen, I need to speak up if issues are encountered. Leaving no area of doubt emotions are indexed. 
 Gazing at providence pot my day dreaming is interrupted. ?Come on Adele - do you want to head down first? .?. ?erm no, I've changed my mind, can we just skip to the pint at the end?. Confronted with what looks like a underground child?s climbing frame, our ginger descent is made into the labyrinth . 
Ground encountered is more muddy than I had imagined. Thinking my lace up work boots  are not the best idea as its like a ice rink.  Wondering if rubber wellies would offer more grip,  Simon is observed moving nimbly move over the Obstacles. Working hard not to become a statistic,  every foot placing is methodically made.  Negotiating boulders clad with age old slippery mud we arrive at 54 cavern. 
This report isn't a Navigational tool.  From this point on, there is only couple of places within Dowber Gill that can be recalled with any  clarity. The blasted crawl, Stalagmite Corner, The narrows with its squeeze, Gypsum Traverse, and the exit ! There is little point in me regurgitating reports of this nature of Dowber Gill passage. ( although Ive probably read them all)   Having read, re read and attempted to commit to memory, I could look at the plans and offer a scattered recollection - but then my message with this report would be lost. 
We approached the blasted crawl, having imagined this place to be arduous and painful. It doesn't seem that bad, surprise occurs. ?I don't mind a crawl?, finally something that is not intimidating. Simon offers words of encouragement that bolster my confidence.  Wetter sections afford good fun, I'm aware Simon is observing after levels, thus far its wet but acceptable limits are found. 
Curiosity as to where we are traveling is ever present, asking Simon to offer a tour guides Commentary.  Simon throughout offers information as to our current location within the passage throughout, my recollections are vague at best.
Stopping for a quick mars bar at stalagmite corner we need to make an assessment of the best route in this fluid cave. Simon has noted a demon that I have not - the water levels are rising without reason. The passage offers several avenues, do we confront the water, or aim higher ?Aware that route finding is a previous issue to people here. I?m assured by the leaders mastery of the issue. Lacking a fondness for high level stuff. The options are explored. Whatever has to be dealt with, simply has to be overcome. Expressing to Simon if conditions dictate we have to explore high level antics, then so be it. However my preferred route any day of the week  would be stay low. Give me water and tight bits any day. I wrestle with this am I putting my self in harms way due to a dislike of high level work ? This thought is not hidden, its expressed, its listened to. 
This passage has it all in the right conditions! Its hold something for everyone. Seriously you are going to love it ! The High level Traverses, for those who relish such fun - affords opportunity. The wet tighter bits - you wont find lacking. The feeling of being in a 3d puzzle never left my mind.
The formations are remarkable , hours could be had gazing.  The formations cry out the time it took to form them, my heart beats easy.  
Rest is had at 800 years Chamber. Sitting down i am aware that Simon looks deep in thought. Whilst I examine the environment Simon confirms he is making internal deliberations. Choices have to be made - will the low passage ways be passable, should we head high?  Progressing at lower levels might be folly if water levels continue to rise - What to do ? The crux of this Passage looms.
So where to next Mr Beck - we agree that the water levels are sporting, offering the best fun.  Considerations had that if impassable safely we would use a mid way section.  If certain levels are taken then return and forward progress would possibly leave us lacking on our call out time. This position isn't relished. 
Moving forward, getting stuck into this now. My wet suit is inhabiting my actions, legs fail to allow me move where I want them to. My 5 m wetsuit feels like a hinderance rather than a help. Squeezes to skittle chamber testify this. Its hard to describe a squeeze, they?re kind of fun and evil all in one. Simon asks me how am I coping? Honesty is required, daring not to hide my tiredness, adding if have a rest, I recover quickly. My mouth is dry, wishing to save the last of the water, progress is  made. I note some degree of stress in Simons voice as to a Further sections we will encounter. Moving on to Bridge Cavern a traverse is encountered that holds no comfort. Nervously Jamming my back trying to get my slippy boot high, my stiff upper lip is wobbling.  Water levels are rising.
Gazing at obstacles that appear insurmountable, quickly takes a toil. Frustration creeps into my actions, at first not noticed.  
Its fair to say Dowber Gills is going to give you bruises in unusual places. The narrows offer an enjoyable section, for the body.  It feels like a 3d puzzle, first way doesn't work, try fitting your body through another piece. With thoughts of not wanting to jam my body in anywhere near the stream, I need to test out the easiest passage through. Simon obliges demonstrating how to physically negotiate areas that are technical.
Traversing offers nothing but fear and anxiety to me but nothing good ever comes easy. It is decided we will have a practice traverse. Simon makes himself a human stepping block. Stood with leg either side over some deep water that lacks any boulders. Moving slowly, inching forward, I am scared. Recollections fail me, unsure as to if I slipped or jumped but I'm in the water. 
Simon obligingly goes ahead along yet another traverse - to  check conditions in the long fabled squeeze, Watching him move forward, I'm alone. A little song is in order, although unable to remember any I will settle for a hum. Drinking my last mouthful of water, trying   to keep my mind occupied. Simon Returns, and he lowers me into the stream. Then sprints off on the higher level in order to come back round to meet me. He has gone through this 3 times now  and upon his return, this will be my first. 
Dealing with the squeeze, is on my radar.  Detecting this is an area that needs to be dispatched without hesitation, a few swear words are issued.  Instructions are that once through the initial horribleness, I am not to linger but move straight on to the flake. Questioning do you want to go first? This isn't going to be an option, should my efforts fail, requiring pulling back out. Ok lets get this done, deep breath, resolve is mustered. What can only be described as a cart wheel type motion propels me in. Moving my feet a little, wiggling every ounce, wishing I carried a few less ounces, I am through. But it isn't over, remembering to continue in a forward motion, I perch on the flake. That wasn't soooo bad.
Peering back I puzzled as to why Simon isn't already hearding me on on, so I peek back. A  newly acquired tackle bag strap, leads to frustration in exactly the wrong place. Five long mins I sit on my newly found resting place, watching Simon try various contortions and manoeuvres. Frustrated I can offer no help - my only offering us to leave the bag-  the bag is retrieved.   
Thinking every crux of this cave has been had can leave you feeling drained , more lay ahead. Checking my physical status - thoughts flash ?could I be one of the statistics that afford this cave its reputation?. Bollocks to that. 
The climb to gypsum traverse is at best a dodgy looking rope nestling happily in some polished rock. Foot loops look they are having a laugh at my expense, safety rope on  - I am all set. Bewildered as to how this rock is exited, trying to hurl myself onto the top sadly fails. After some debate, the  hanging ropes offer a pull up.
Gypsum traverse held no relish for me ! Wearing lace up army type boots, that lacked grip - I'm scared, and feeling sore? ?what to do Adele?? ? 
As a counter measure to my lack of courage - Simon decides it sporting fun to climb under my traverse, in order to offer a human safety net. I move forward, with slow progress. 
Surely thats it, I?m tired and I'm bruised, I'm thirsty , its been a great day? but the fun continues. 
Insitu ropes (that I could of kissed) allow the final push. Abseiling down on stitch plates provokes mild concern. Remarkably it isn't too bad, it doesn't feel that exposed. But theres more ! Knowing we are on the homeward stretch isn't helping me now. 
Arriving at a place that looks vaguely familiar, the water is cold and still. Arriving at the flow stone, momentarily Im feel distracted?. Wasn't there a duck around here. Simon Laughs, the water is lower today. The duck is completed with ease. 
Dow cave is a welcoming sight. Present in my mind is the fact I have told my husband would be home around 8pm, its now 830 pm. Caves rob me of all sense of time. It would have been the wrong move to rush, it took the time it took. 

earthlight

Having done this trip with Simon myself last summer (as another inexperienced caver) I fully appreciate the inability to recall the navigational aspects, even when checking the map later. It's a testing ground for sure, and your account has elevated my blood pressure somewhat! (I got thoroughly wedged at least once and the high level traverses when slim and short are less than fun). Well done  ;)