Shrinking Oversuits

The Old Ruminator

Is this a general problem ? On Mendip we mostly use Warmbac oversuits as the factory is local. I have been using a Warmbac oversuit bought second hand from a digging mate who said that it had got too small for him. It was size XXL + and as I am only 5ft 8 with a 38 inch chest it looked ridiculously large on me. I was having to turn up the leg bottoms six inches. Now after quite a few digging sessions and a pressure wash each time it almost fits perfectly. Therefore I can only assume that I have either grown six inches or the suit has continued to shrink. I recall previous suits I had. Bought correctly to size but becoming increasingly harder to get out of. So what to do?
Buy a much larger suit than necessary, look a twit for several months until it shrinks to fit. Or buy the correct size per list then find that you cant get out of it unaided. Is this a problem with other Cordura suits ? :confused:

alastairgott

I think they stiffen with age, and particularly when they dry with mud on them.

I've seen people put oversuits in drying rooms, but this makes it rarely easy to get into the next morning.
I prefer to just wash it with a good hose (not jetwash) and hang it out for a drip dry overnight, it's never particularly nasty in the morning nor is it perfectly dry either, but probably gives the best mix between the two, I think your body heat may warm up the damp cordura as your getting going?

yrammy

I got my last one in 1990. It has definitely shrunk, by quite a few sizes...............................   

wormster

Too much diggingmud/jetwashing/drying DOES stiffen/shrink warmbacs, best is as been said before gentle hosing and drip dry (only for a bit) then into tehbucket, comes out a bit cold but it soon warms up ok

martinb

Hmmm, in the past I used a Caving Supplies Cordura, which kept its flexibility and size, even after digging in one of the muddiest sites known to man in Stoney Middleton, the main problem being the zip. Mud and zips do not go hand in hand. I have 50mm velco, but not the inclination at present to replace it.

I then progressed onto a Pvc 'boil in the bag' Meander, albeit one size too big, which was used extensively in the second muddiest dig known to man in Castleton - although my digging partner said it was muddier than the first one.....  :confused:
The problem with that one was abrasion.

I have, since just before Xmas 2016, bought a Warmbac digger Oversuit,recently I did mention to my mate, felt a little 'snug' the last couple of wears - although it soon 'expands' once wet/muddy.

I tend to dunk said suit in a barrel of water, then scrub off with hose/watering can and leave to dry naturally.

Although we have closed our main dig down as it was getting somehwat problematical with stacking space/lack of hands/mud collapses. So I'm currently looking for more leads.

MarkS

I found my old (Warmbac) cordura suit shrank quite badly, which I mostly noticed on the arms. After the end of its life I replaced it with an AV suit, which in my opinion is made of a far better material and seems to shrink much less. To me the (possible) added durability of the Warmbac wasn't worth the downsides, and the shrinking was certainly a contributing factor.

Cavematt

I always wore the Meander suits for my first five years as a caver but switched to Warmbac cordura several years ago.

I am 6ft tall, slim to average build. Initially I bought a size medium as it was the ideal fit in the shop but within about four trips it has shrunk so much that I couldn't wear it any more (it barely reached below my knees and I couldn't lift my arms up any more). I sold this and bought a large, which was a little baggy initially but soon shrunk to be a good fit. However, after about six months it had shrunk more and became a bit too snug for comfort. I then bought an XL, which was horribly baggy for the first several trips but a year on it has shrunk to exactly the right fit. I do really like the Warmbac suits for their robustness; they are beautifully made and good solid material, which will last ages, but you must buy at least one, probably two sizes above what is the right fit in the shop.

And no, I have not been over-indulging... I'm the same size now that I was when I started caving...  ;)

The Old Ruminator

Thanks for the replies. It seems not only do they shrink initially but seem to continue to shrink longer term. I must admit my continual pressure washing might not help but I hate putting on a mucky or dusty suit. Sadly the current suit is nearing the end as the reinforced bum bit has fallen apart exposing the strengthening bit beneath. I guess I only got 30 - 40 trips from it but I expect that's par for the course.

Pete K

As someone who owns about 50 Warmbac suits for clients, I can confirm that they do shrink (as do other brands) by at least a size in their life. I put this down to a mixture of actual shrinkage and perceived shrinkage as the suit stiffens up.
I pressure wash all of mine after every use and have some suits that are approaching 10 years old and still looking near new. The washing forces the dust and grit out of the fibres keeping the suit flexible. An occasional machine wash with fabric softener will also work wonders for stiff suits. Buy a size up and keep very clean and that seems to work for me. Blasting the grit out also adds to the lifespan of the suit by reducing the fibre and stitching wear, although you may always look like the new guy in the car park surrounded by cavers who wear their filth caked suits as a badge of honour.

cavemanmike

I wash my warmbac in a washing machine on cold , had it 5years and other than glue in patches on elbows and knees looks pretty dam good (it is a spare washing machine)

JasonC

cavemanmike said:
I wash my warmbac in a washing machine on cold , had it 5years and other than glue in patches on elbows and knees looks pretty dam good (it is a spare washing machine)

A spare washing machine.... in the lists of must-have caving kit, you never see this.  Yet how good it would be - speaking as someone who has now been banned from washing his undersuit in the family machine, never mind oversuit or ropes, and doesn't have space to site a spare - Caveman Mike, I envy you!

cavemanmike

JasonC said:
cavemanmike said:

A spare washing machine.... in the lists of must-have caving kit, you never see this.  Yet how good it would be - speaking as someone who has now been banned from washing his undersuit in the family machine, never mind oversuit or ropes, and doesn't have space to site a spare - Caveman Mike, I envy you!

What you need to do is convince one of you mates(who has room in his garage) what a good idea it would be to have a washing machine for "our"caving gear  :LOL:

AR

I tend to take my Landjoff into the shower with me (and my ropes) and give it a good scrub while showering, I don't think it's noticeably got smaller in the several years I've had it.

Fulk

What you need to do is convince one of you mates(who has room in his garage) what a good idea it would be to have a washing machine for "our"caving gear  :LOL:

Nah . . . he should've married a caver  ;).

mudman

Or just stick everything in the washing machine after the other half has gone to bed them get up before her to get it out.
Just don't do like I did and put your (not a) belay belt in there then lie in bed listening to the clink clink clink add it goes around and hoping she doesn't get up for a pee before the cycle finishes.    :unsure:

Rachel

I've never had shrinkage, but then I've never washed my suit either. I hang it out to dry, mud and all, then bash the dry mud off with a tennis racket. Odd but effective  :)